AKG C 451 E

All user reviews for the AKG C 451 E

Small diaphragm condenser microphone from AKG belonging to the C 451 series.

( 4.8/5 based on 5 reviews )
4 reviews
Audience: Advanced users Value For Money : Excellent
  • radiobombradiobomb

multi capsule studio pencil condenser mic

AKG C 451 EPublished on 02/02/15 at 04:12
    I have 3 of these AKG 451E each with different capsules with a different polar pattern.
    The capsule choice makes a big difference to the 'voicing'. Capsules I have are cardioid, omni and hypercardioid. They all represent typical traits for their polar pattern.
    The mic is a small pencil mic, 15cm by 2cm, with integral xlr. Weighing about 250g without metal screw-on basket, or 100g more with it on. The screw-on basket is an effective pop-shield, but I still use an seperate pop-shield for 'plosifs.
    Great mid & top, with just enough lo-mid to capture male voice. but no real low-end bass [due to size of mic/diaphragm]. So recordings sit nicely in the mix without eq'ing.
    Medium sensitivity…
    Medium sensitivity, slightly variable on capsule used.
    40-45db gain on the pre-amp before clipping. +48v phantom power.
    Nice studio tools. Very different voicing to standard SM57's [smaller too].
  • J-LucJ-Luc

Very good for strings

AKG C 451 EPublished on 02/09/14 at 05:57
    Very, very good for strings

Condenser mic with cylindrical format and small capsule.

I have some other mics of the same type, I use this mainly for strings (folk guitar, violin). Compared to the Oktava MK012, it is much more brilliant and it's a mic whose setting is not so critical, it doesn't detune much. An example? The guitar (a Taylor C-414) here was recorded with a C451e - https://fr.audiofanzine.com/folk/compos/a.play,t.13658.html
  • zebzikzebzik

AKG C 451 EPublished on 07/16/05 at 17:49
    This mic is the first preamp version of the 451, which was revolutionary in its time!
    But despite its technical characteristics (transformerless solid-state preamp, exceptional transients)
    Well...
    Despite all that it has a well-known defect, the famous dropouts after some time (you need to cut the phantom power, turn it on again and then everything's fine).
    The next versions (451 EB, 451B) don't have this defect.

Exceptional transients.
    It's a reference in terms of sound.
  • RemyxcRemyxc

Exceptional gear!

AKG C 451 EPublished on 01/03/11 at 09:35
    1 photo
    The features have already been mentioned. It's ideal in pairs to record guitar, vocals (CK5 capsule), as drum room mic (CK1 & CK2), or as room mic (CK8 shotgun).

I have been using this AKG C451e pair with different capsules (CK1, CK2, CK5, CK8) for 14 years. I have never had an issue with them, no ugly surprises. I heard about the "dropout" problem after a while. I might be lucky, but I've never had a single problem. I use them mainly together with CK2 capsules for room takes or with the CK5 for vocals. The sound is huge. Neutral and warm at the same time. I use a lot of other mics. These are among the ones I use as reference. Treat yourself to some real sound!

• moosersmoosers

AKG C 451 EPublished on 02/28/09 at 16:43
    The AKG 451 E is a small diaphragm condenser microphone. It has a cardioid polar pattern pick up and also contains a switchable high pass filter. I have only used this microphone in the studio and this is probably where it is best suited. It can be used in a live setting, but is pretty expensive of a microphone to be bringing out and risking damage during live performances. This being said, it can be used in either setting.

I have been using the AKG 451 E condenser microphone for about a year and I have found it useful in a number of different situations. Some of the applications I have used the 451 E for include for acoustic guitars, drum overheads, hi hats, and other acoustic stringed instruments. When placed up on the strings of an acoustic guitar or mandolin, it does a great job of picking up the high end frequencies and also does an awesome job of blocking out noise outside of what you are recording. The signal comes in clean when I record with this mic, and it is great to have a mic around that has this much versatility. The AKG 451 E is overall a great sounding microphone that is set at quite a reasonable price. Even though I can think of some other mics I would rather record with, this is a worthy microphone. It has a nice look and great tone and is perfect for recording acoustic guitar and other instruments with similar tone qualities. The high pass filter also comes in handy when recording acoustic guitar, as you can cut everything below 75 Hz and below that there isn't any of the acoustic guitars frequencies. Overall, the AKG 451 E is an above average mic that is definitely worth a look in terms of small diaphragm microphones go.