• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews of 4/5 for the Peavey Rage 158

Average Score:3.9( 3.9/5 based on 54 reviews )
 15 reviews28 %
 21 reviews39 %
 14 reviews26 %
 3 reviews6 %
Audience: Beginners Value For Money : Excellent
yoTrakkz11/08/2011

yoTrakkz's review"There are others that are better than this."

Peavey Rage 158
I rented the Peavey Rage 158 from a local store to try with my new ESP LTD KH202 guitar. I used to have a Behringer amp with dial-in presets and I hated searching for presets on it (100 effects on a dial with a list of settings in the manual) so I was reluctant to get another modeling amp. This changed my mind about modeling amps.

The presets are easy to dial up using different banks (user, song, artist) with a display that spells out the selection. The amp sounds great for the rock and metal I have been playing on it. I even like the sound of some of the 1950s presets and may toy around with some oldies too. It doesn't come with a full manual but you can download it from the Peavey website (I printed mine out and put it in a notebook for quick reference). Also, it helps to read the FAQs on the website.

I recommend getting the FBV Mk2 Express footboard to go with this since you can control volume, quick loop, and the tuner with it (among other things). I am just now tapping into all the features of it so I am sure there is much more I need to learn about it.

This amp is good for being loud all the time even when you not playing the feedback is too much for me. If you can fine tune this thing and like the sound you get out of it, go for it, but if you like to change sounds often or just need a better amp in general, get one of the earlier spiders (series II or III) they are way better and a better value for your money. Not that spider overal is better than peavey , but this amp isn’t the best one that Peavey makes.
heads on fire10/24/2011

heads on fire's review"Line 6 Spider is better for the same price."

15W
8" Blue Marvel speaker
2 channels
3-band EQ
Tape or CD input
Modern/vintage voicing switch
15"W x 14"H x 8-3/4"D
13.9 lbs.
Small, compact, and lightweight.

This is a good little practice amp. It has no effects, like reverb, delay, or anything like that, which is a touch disappointing to a new player. One can find a used Line 6 Spider series in the 15 watt versions for the same price as a used Rage 158, and the Line 6 will do a lot more. But that isn't to say this isn't a good amp - if you find one for less than 40 bucks used, it's probably worth it. One thing I used to do as a kid was run an out from this into the power amp section of a tube amp, and it sounded really neat - I thought the tone was reminiscent of Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine. So if you do end up getting this amp, neat sounds can exist even at stage volume, if you get creative.

It's a decent-sounding amp for what it is. It's no Bogner or Diezel or Trainwreck, but it's not designed to be. It gets clean, it gets dirty, and the EQ is pretty tailorable, so the sounds this can get are varied. It's a practice amp, so one probably isn't expecting to record a platinum hit with it - it's meant to use for practice, and it works for that purpose.

Sevens across the board. I like the amp, but again, the Line 6 Spider series is a better buy for the price range. I liked my Rage growing up, but Line 6 wasn't around then. The Rage works for practice - the external input is a nice bonus. If I was given this amp, or if it was dirt dirt cheap, I'd probably buy one and use it just for sentimental reasons, and it would still get the job done.
iamqman06/23/2011

iamqman's review"Peavey scores again!!!!"

Peavey Rage 158
Peavey does it again with there inexpensive and fantastic sounding amplifiers. This amp is only a simple 15 watta amp with loads of options to boot. It is a solid state amp that has a clean channel, a lead channel and a simple Eq section. You also get an input, a CD player input, and a headphone jack for silent playing at your home or office.

There reason isn't anything special about this amp other than it is cheap and good enough for practicing your guitar chops. Some of the latest editions to this model had a modern and vintage voicing switch on the lead channel. This one has is but the original I don;t think had one on the front panel.

Features

Tape or CD input
Modern/vintage voicing switch
15"W x 14"H x 8-3/4"D
13.9 lbs.

The tone from the transtube is exceptional as far solid state amps go. This isn't going to sound exactly like a tube amplifier, but they get it sounding much better than most solid state amps out there on the market.

I like a Peavey amp with a good sounding Gibson Les Paul or SG guitar. I find that the match between those Gibson mentioned and the Peavey tone matches up much better than Fender guitar. Peavey's can tend to have a shrive distortion tone that needs to be tamed a bit with a good mahogany wood body guitar.

Peavey has since discontinued these amps and are now focusing on there Vypyr series which has now become a huge hit. They still use transtube technology in many of their current amps.

Since they no longer produce this amp the used market is the only way to go if you desire this amp. I have seen them on the classifieds for right around $70 to %100. Not a bad price for a good sounding solid state practice amp with multiple channels. I highly recommend this amp for someone needing a good silent amp for practice.
King Loudness04/26/2011

King Loudness's review"Surprising..."

Peavey Rage 158
The Peavey Rage 158 is a fairly typical practice amplifier from Peavey's venerable line of amps. It's a 15 watt solid state amp featuring Peavey's "Transtube" technology. This is supposed to ape not only the tone and harmonics/overtones that a tube amp offers, but also that unmistakable feel that you get when playing through a true tube amp. It's got two channels, clean and drive. The layout is very simple, featuring a single volume for the clean channel and separate gain (pre) and volume (post) controls for the drive channel. Other than that, both channels share an equalization control set of bass, middle and treble controls. The only other features of note on this amp are a 1/4" headphone jack for silent practice as well as a 1/4" auxiliary input for plugging in a CD player or other external device. It features a single 8" Peavey Blue Marvel speaker to cap everything off. All in all it's a decent feature-set considering the amp's then street price of around $100.

When I first got the amplifier, I was about 6 years old and it was the first amp I got that was my own. It is very simple and easy to use, so even at that young age, I was able to dial in reasonable tones that I liked. Even up to the present day. There aren't many features to wrap your head around so that leaves room to just play guitar.

The clean channel has a nice set of tones. I've used it as a rehearsal amp for a jazz project for the last year and it works well enough for that, despite being old and only 15 SS watts. There is some pretty horrendous speaker buzz from age, so that limits me from turning the amplifier up too loudly in these settings. The drive channel is really impressive for a solid state practice amp. Its specialty seems to be a surprisingly killer 80s/90s rock tone that has lots of midrange and a really punchy attack overall.

I've had this amp since new when I was 6. At that time, I was using various Squier, Yamaha, and Epiphone guitars with both single coil and humbucking pickups. At that time I was playing blues and rock music, most often on my own. On occasion I did use this amp for gigs/television appearances, and in those instances the amplifier would be mic'd.

Even today I still use this amp for rehearsals and as a beater, and though it is aged and worn it still sounds great. The Transtube system does have a great sound and though it's not going to ever replace a proper tube amp, it does sound great for what it is. I love the overdrive tones especially and find myself playing lots of 80s riffage and lead based stuff when I'm plugged into the Rage. The amp gives me a wonderful inspiration to play because it sounds good. Most practice amps don't put a smile on my face but this one does.

All in all I feel that this is a great amp for the young guitarist or someone who just needs a small amp to use as a beater/practice amp. I've been using mine for over ten years and it still works very well and sounds great. I've tried the newer versions of the Rage (the one with the red stripe as well as the newer 258 model) and I was not nearly as impressed with those as I was with my 2000 model Rage which the silver stripe. These amps can be picked up cheaply on the used market, so if you are looking for a small, simple, yet great sounding amp on a budget, give the Rage a try. You might be surprised...
MGR/sebastian08/11/2006

MGR/sebastian's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
i have been playin for about 2 years.im into guns in roses,nirvana,iron maiden,led zeppelin etc. i have a mexican strat 60th anniversary edition right know, althogh i used to play an ibanez gio.

I got this amp from my dad when i first started playing i didnt care if it was a crappy amp or if it was cheap i just wanted to start playing.

i like this amp because its it gives out alot of sound and the distortion has alot of grunge to it.

the only thing i dont like about this amp is that its small i like big durable ones.

the quality is alright just a little flimsy.

after all its been through its held up pretty well its a good starter amp. i reccomend getting a pettle though if you want to continue using this amp.

MGR/Iain10/19/2003

MGR/Iain's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
i got a great deal this for $100(used) with a tuner. i wanted to get rid of the crap amp i got when i started

durible, good sound. i switched over to bass and this amp sounds even better with my bass

good have better distrotion

well constructed, its been kicked, droped had stuff stacked on top of it and still sounds as good as the day i got it

great for starters or as a practise amp

MGR/Mario01/09/2003

MGR/Mario's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
Purchased from local music store, Baily Brothers, for $75.

It's a versatile, beginner amp that can do clean and distortion pretty well. I was actually surprised by the clean sound on the amp since it is known more as a rocker. I use it with a Les Paul copy so the versatility of this amp fits perfectly. It does pack a powerful and loud sound. It also includes a CD input and headphone input which is perfect for an apartment or dorm.

The distortion gets a little fuzzy when setting the volume up, and the dials seem little flimsy almost like they're going to come off when turning them.

What makes this and other Peavey's great is the reliabilty. They are built solid and you can bang it around and still be ok. Once again, the dials on the amp seem a little loose but so far they haven't come off or anything so I'm pretty sure they'll last. Also, despite this durability it is not a heavy amp and can easliy be lugged around.

Great beginner amp especially if you play all kinds of music. Versatility and durability are the keys to this amp. You can be sure that you will have this amp for long time as a practice amp, plus, Peavey is known for making quality products. I would easily recommend this amp especially for an amp under $100.

MGR/Anonymous08/20/2002

MGR/Anonymous's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
I bought this amp at an out of town music store for 90$. I bought it as a practice amp. I got it shortly after i bought my first guitar. I wanted something affordable but good, and thats what i got.

This amp can crank really loud considering it's only 15 watts. Definately loud enough to be heard over drums and bass guitar, but it is still better used in low volume. It is great practice amp with pretty good sound quality. I love the fact that there is a headphone imput so you don't have to disturb parents late at night.

The distortion is not great and the modern/vintage option is pretty useless.

This amp has held up fine, although it hasn't taken much abuse. Seems to be well made. The quality of this amp is worth the money paid.

I would recomend this to any beginner or someone looking for a low-volume practice amp.

MGR/Anonymous05/25/2002

MGR/Anonymous's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
This was the first amp I ever bought. I got it at my local guitar shop for around $100

For 15w, you can't get a much louder amp. This dude is LOUD for 15w. I played over drums, and could still be heard. It's a great sounding amp. Definatly one of the top 3 pratice amps you can buy. The headphone and CD inputs are sweet as well

this distortion. It just isn't good. The modern/vintage swtich does nothing. there's no footswtich so you can have flip the switch manually to turn from gain to the clean channel.

great quality, not really made for the rough and tumble road travel, but top notch for it's purpose

I'd recommend this amp the ANY beginner out there looking for a great sound for a low price. But this is a practice amp, and nothing else.

MGR/Dan05/22/2002

MGR/Dan's review"Peavey Rage 158"

Peavey Rage 158
I bought this amp for about 100$ at 1 of my local shops.

I like this amp,for 15 wat this thing can kick butt.Its lould strong and worth every penny!

If you are a destortion adtic like me,the built in over drive isnt powerful enough.I recomment getting a pedal.Its also not the cleanest sound.Also when you get close to it with your guitar is squeeks,but a great amp overall

pritty strong

If you are a distortion person its not powerfull enough,but gread practice amp!