All user reviews for the Squier Champ 15

Solid-State Combo Guitar Amp from Squier belonging to the Champ series.

( 2.6/5 based on 14 reviews )
5 reviews
3 reviews
5 reviews
Audience: Beginners Value For Money : Poor
  • Definitely not solid snakeDefinitely not solid snake

Not really that good

Squier Champ 15Published on 11/18/21 at 05:59
    Ive owned this amp for a couple years,
    the clean setting is OK but any sort of distortion is really bad
    Ive really struggled to get a good tone for metal and rock etc, if you want to strum some clean chords it will do but I dont reccomend getting it if your looking for a SERIOUS amp to play/record your favourite rock and metal songs on.
  • MGR/Mike C.MGR/Mike C.

Squier Champ 15Published on 11/01/04 at 15:00
    Hey guys. Got this amp in 2000 with a Squier Strat.

Personally, I like this amp. And for all you idiots who hate it, did you think you were buying a Marshall??? Did you think you were buying a Mesa/Boogie??? Of course more expensive amps sound better, could that be the reason they cost more??? For the price I paid, this amp is pretty good, if you want to know why I think so read down

I blew a fuse in it after owning it for about 2 years. Easy fix, and it's understandable, i was playing it cranked to 10 with a, overdrive pedal in front of it (needed more volume for my band).

No problems except for the fuse mentioned above.

Seriously guys, if you expected to of the line sound,......
    Hey guys. Got this amp in 2000 with a Squier Strat.

No problems except for the fuse mentioned above.

Seriously guys, if you expected to of the line sound, and you know even a tiny bit about gear, you're a moron. So here are a few things (equipment wise) you can do to improve your sound if you don't want to buy a new amp: a)Sell your Squier Strats, and Epiphone Les Paul Juniors (unless you have the older P-90 one) or at leats buy new (Good) pickups, and any other shitty guitars that you most definitely have, and that will take a lot of the suck factor out of your sound. b)Take a little time to adjust the controls, figure out how it works with your guitar's controls and c)if you're a beginner, please don't make quick jugdgements about gear, because when someone sounds BAD, 99% of the time either it's not set right, or it ain't the gear it's the player. (The only exception is good player who have actually started LISTENING to their sound, and pinpointing specific problems. Bottom line, learn how to play, then buy better stuff. By the way, this gets a 3 based on how cheap it is and how good it sounds with the right guitar.

• MGR/AnonymousMGR/Anonymous

Squier Champ 15Published on 11/14/03 at 15:00
    I bought this amp with a strat pack form this person for $286 CAN.

Nothing.

The Clear Tone sucks. when i turn it on i can hear a radio station. The distortion sucks as well. its not clear. I blew the amp out a few weeks after i bought it, and the volume was on 6.

The construction is allright.

It has horrible sound. Don't ever buy this amp. Its a wast of money. ITS SUCKS!!!

My Rating: 0

• MGR/RideTheLightningMGR/RideTheLightning

Squier Champ 15Published on 07/11/03 at 15:00
    I got this amp in the Strat Pack at my local guitar store for $400 CDN (along with a squier strat, video, strap, picks, tuner and gig bag). I bought it mostly because it was cheap and because i liked the strat it came with.

This is a great all around amp. It is probably one of the best choices for a starting guitarist for many reasons. For example, it's cheap, it can go loud enough to be in a band (although you'll have to push the volume to 8 or 9), it sounds just fine and it has all the features a starting guitarist needs.

All my complaints about this amp are related to wear and tear. I've had it for 1 and a half years now and the speaker is almost done. This is probably because I put it at 7-8 when I'm playing in my band and I also put a distortion pedal in front of it (which increases the volume). Now, i'f I turn the volume up to 6 or higher, the speaker sounds like it's either loose or like it's about to rip apart. Another complaint I have is that the distorted channel is messed up. When I got it this channel was as good as any other budget amp's. Now, It sounds like it's broken which is wierd because I almost never use it.

This amp is built better than most of the other budget amp's out there. It has taken it's fair share of drops and it's fallen out the back of a van a few times and it doesn't have any dents, broken bits etc. This amp will probably last between the time a beginner starts playing and then decides to get a bigger amp.

Definatly a good choice for a beginner, this amp will last "long enough" and it is one of the best sounding, best built budget amps out there.

• bobwalsh123bobwalsh123

Squier Champ 15Published on 05/21/03 at 15:00
    Strat Pack at guitar center for $200.

It is small has to hook up thingys and u can take it anywere

The distortion mushes up all the notes

bad quality but came out good

It is good for a begginer but dont buy it if it your second amp.

• MGR/matthew melnickMGR/matthew melnick

Squier Champ 15Published on 02/25/03 at 15:00
    I got my amp in a strat pak but i think the amp is $90. People said it was a great amp for beginners so I bought it.
    I bought it in a strat pak at melodee music.

it sounds very nice for it's size. It looks cool.

When you put volume or gain over 6 it sounds like crap. It is not bassy enough. Remember on dumb and dumber when he says do you want hear the most annoying sound?ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is what it sounds like when you put a tiny treble.

It is well put together and looks neat. It is shiny on some parts. Many people say it is a terrific amp for it's price.

I bought it in a strat pak at melodee music.

it sounds very nice for it's size. It looks cool.

The amp is ok. But there is just a couple problems, but if you were wondering if you should purchase it, i dont know what to tell you.

• MGR/Ian BrownMGR/Ian Brown

Squier Champ 15Published on 03/21/02 at 15:00
    I dont own own, but I often play this one that my freind has. he just bought it a a few months ago, and it sound horrible. he got it in one of those strat pack thingies.

It looks neat

I think the shitty pickups in that guitar may have a little to do with the fuzzy sound it has, but this thing didnt help at all. Does anyone remember on "Dumb and Dumber"? "Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! That what this amp sounds like.

It looks OK I guess.

Don't waste your money on this. There are other better small practice amps. If you like classic rock get Crate gx-15 which is about $80, and if you like metal get a Fender Frontman 20 which is about $100

It looks neat

It looks OK I guess.

• MGR/BradMGR/Brad

Squier Champ 15Published on 02/11/02 at 15:00
    I got this amp at a West Music store for $125 when the salesman suggested it.

It has everything you could want from a small practice amp: a 15 watt 8" speaker, with 3 band eq., adjustable gain and presence, with a head phone jack, and at price of about $125, I was definitely happy with my purchase.

It lacks many of the controls of the more expensive amplifiers, so the sound isn't quite as good as most amps.

The amp is very solidly built, and puts up with a lot, and for such a small amp, it sure puts out a lot of sound.

I'd definitely recommend this amp to any beginning guitarist, or any one who wants a great practice amp for cheap.

This review was originally published on ...
  • MGR/Brian, Aspiring Guitar GodMGR/Brian, Aspiring Guitar God

Fender Champ 15

Squier Champ 15Published on 12/03/01 at 15:00
    I got this unit for free from someone I knew who didn't use it. I've only seen it sold with Fender Squier Packages ($199 at most places). 15 watts, hence Champ "15"

The Champ 15 has two inputs, useful if you've got a buddy and you keep the volume down. Also has a handy-dandy headphones set to keep the landlady from yelling at you. Has built in distortion.

Really only has two volumes--too quiet to hear and too loud for your neighbors to bear--almost makes you wonder if they're in a racket with the headphone people. Sounds like crap. Very little tone. Can barely tell the difference between my pickups. Almost as it I held my guitar up to a microphone. The distortion is pretty crappy too. Don't even hope to get controlled feedback. But the worst is...

...the poor workmanship. After less than a full year of use, both inputs are kuput. I am lucky if I can occasionally get a sound to issue from the amp... And the sound cable falls out if I move, so it becomes very hard to rock out while you play. (Really, it's one and the same issue). I opened it up, and the input issue has acually caused warping of the circuit board, compounding the problem. (You might say, "Why not just sauter the inputs in position?" To which I say, "Because a] I'd double the value of the amp by doing so, and b]There is a sale on Marshall's this weekend." )

Good if you aren't sure what insturment your gonna play, but if you are gonna be a guitar dude or dudette, shell out the bucks and get a REAL practice amp... This one will only cut it for so long.

• MGR/Chris SomethingMGR/Chris Something

Squier Champ 15Published on 09/02/01 at 15:00
    I bought this amp with a strat pack thingy when i had just started playing. I think altogether (the whole strat pack) cost about 300 something dollars at mars music.

I like the way the light next to the power button lights up when you press power. That's about it.

The tone sucks. The distortion sucks.

It does seem pretty strong for such a small amp (only good thing). But don't let looks fool you. The sound sucks remember?

It has horrible sound and seems like its gonna blow if you put the volume over 6. But hey, I learned on it.

This review was originally published on http://www.musicgearreview.com...

The tone sucks. The distortion sucks.