or
Create an account

or

Thread Help reducing noise and raising recording volume

• 8 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Help reducing noise and raising recording volume
I use a fostex-vf160 for recording. My problem is that when I want to record guitar with a mic it's never, imo, loud enough. I turn my amp up about 40% (mesa rectifier). Clean, distorted, whatever, the volume meters only go up about 35 to 45% percent of the way with the recording input knob turned to 75%. If I turn it up anymore I get noise, but if I turn it down everything becomes to quiet and then I'm forced to turn volume up to listen which once again produces too much hiss and backround noise. I use a Shure Unisphere I 565SD Dynamic mic. Is it the mic I should change? The only other decent mic I have is a sm58 which I feel sounds too dark for purposes of recording guitar (yes I know it's a vocal mic, I actually like the unisphere more for vocals as well). I've tried it directly into the speaker, and on the outside of the cone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
you need a mic preamp

get one used on ebay
Sounds like you're not recording a hot enough signal. This might be partly because of your mic, and it might be partly because of your mic preamp. Try the 58- I've recorded a lot of good guitar with one. You should be able to get a decent tone with it. If nothing else, you should be able to eliminate the mic as the source of the problem this way. If you can't get a decent level with either mic, I'd try another mic cord and then another input channel on the Fostex.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Ok. I actually have an idea on what it might be now that you mentioned using another channel/cord thanks.

Would I really need a mic preamp with the fostex?

Quote: Would I really need a mic preamp with the fostex?

Depends on how happy your are with the mic pre's on the fostex. Since everything you record on the fostex has to pass through there (unless there's a "line in" on the fostex), it's a pure matter of GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). I have no experience with your unit, but if fostex used cheap mic pre's and you don't care for the results, yes.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
There are two "line in" inputs on the unit. I personally like the quality, it's just a volume issue with recording electric guitar.

I might just overdub guitar or record with two mics and see how that goes.
i always record at least 2 guitars for anything i record. even if it is supposed to be one guitar. pan 1 hard left and 2 hard right. in the post mix, the overall volume will be much louder that just the one guitar panned center. that might be your problem. also, sometimes the guitar will sound kinda weak until you add other instruments.
Hi,
because no one else mentioned it, run your guitar thru a DI box, it will convert your 10.000 ohm signal into a 600 ohm signal, then go from the DI box to the pre-amp. All the noise produced by the 10.000 signal will be gone and you will be able to recording guitarsound as it should be.
At least you will hear the difference and then judge on the pre-amp.
regards
chris at www.tsunamimusic.be
forgot to mention, if acoustic guitar is to be recorded use condenser mics.
Something like AKG c 1000 or AKG c2000b.They're both great for acoustic guitar and most vocals. It goes higher on the budget but a lot lower on frustration. :lol:
regards
chris at www.tsunamimusic.be