or
Create an account

or

Thread Computer based recording. What is the best for my budget?

• 6 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Computer based recording. What is the best for my budget?
Hi folks,
I have a tiny spot in my basement I use for my setup. They are:

Roland RS-5 Keyboard/controller synth
Roland JV1080 Sound Module
ART 340 15 Band EQ
Behringer 1204 FX mixer ( nice little unit for the money)
Crown XLS 420A
JBL Cab 25's
Oh Yeah, my faithful SM-58
Dell 850MHz PIII laptop running Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 Win 2K.

I have another desktop computer I was planning on using for the recording. Its a PIII 1 GHz 512 PC133 80GB with firewire pci card.

My budget is anywhere from 200 to 300 dollars. I wanted to outfit my desktop with a PCI 24 bit card for recording. Can anyone tell me the very best card I can buy in this price range? If a firewire based solution is better, I can go that route also. I am very new to PC recording and just getting my feet wet. I appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Thanks in advance :)

Anthony
Thanks guys, that helped a whole bunch! :lol:
N E 1?
personally i cannot tell you anything, i have no experience with pci cards...

these days firewire is popular, check out edirol, they make some quality stuff, sorry i cannot be of more help
Well, thats a place to start which is further than I was before. Thanks.
this all depends on how many tracks you wish to record at the same time. i would suggest the m-audio delta 66. it has four ins and four outs. this means that you can record four tracks of audio at the same time, and send four audio tracks out too. it is a pci board with a break out box. it can record up to 96,000khz/24 bit and send out this quality as well. it will run you aproximatly $400. $100 dollars over your budget but well worth every extra penny. i have never really tried any firewire cards but have tried many pci card and for the money your not going to get a better deal in my opinion.

here is the link:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=7b5e9745e0f7ae16f7820ac8da409680
Hi, and thank you for the info and the link. I was actually looking at a few different M-Audio products.

The Delta 66 with breakout box looks real nice and I can get in on ebay for much less than 400 (thank goodness).

Also looking at the M-Audio 2496 PCI 4 in 4 out plus Midi. Dont know if this is an older card. So far the Delta66 is winning with the nice breakout box.

And lastly, the M-Audio FireWire 410. REALLLY nice features. Connects via firewire so theres no PCI card. Has 2 Balanced XLR inputs, monitoring features, and dual independant headphone jacks in front. 4 in and 10 out.

Sam ash has it for 399.00 and comes with Mixing software shown here:
http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/control_panels/big/firewire_410.jpg

And here is the unit itself:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=5f35def5b4107998b11119907053a313

Any thoughts on the firewire 410 anybody?

Its more than I need right now but I usually like to have the options.

Keys