Roland SH-32
ddn ddn
Publié le 11/12/09 à 13:28
Well, c&#39;tune funny machine, both in concept and in implementation.

Basically it&#39;s a desktop synth like a virus, with a format not rack that looks like a groovebox without really being one.

Subtractive synthesis, two each Osc with a sub, function ringmod and sync, two LFOs, a conventional filter, an envelope for her and one for the filter. I think it&#39;s something to remind owners Nordlead. There is no modulation wheel or pitch but an effects section and a section reverb / delay. And lots of adjustments are done with sliders and rotary knobs rather, it is PRA&#39;s class: moderately convenient to use but it does save space in front ... And it is class, really.

It is controlled via MIDI to the old but it has amazing functions not only to him:
- A function of virtual keyboard on the bike (preview) as a MS2000R, that&#39;s not common but it&#39;s classic
- An arpeggiator that allows plenty of combinations of patterns and height and can even customize to make it play range you want, and save. Less conventional.
- A function of indefinite continuation of the note that comes to play (hold). Not conventional.
- A function that allows you to play consistent with a single keystroke (chord) on the full chord is stored on those stores that yourself and you can store a different agreement for each party. Really not trivial.

For me, it solved the problem of improvising live my pads: I activate the virtual keyboard, function and hold function chord, I press a button and have a pad according to 4 grades coming out No need to sequencer, no need to leave my finger, and I can concentrate on the rest.

Otherwise it is not quite but a multitimbral Performance mode lets you use the 4 parts together (3 synths, a rhythm part) or multitimbral mode with a polyphony of 32 notes more than sufficient, what can also make basic pieces with a single performance in theory: with the arpeggiator and chord + hold function can be rotated a rhythm, a bassline, a lead and a pad, just by pressing a button.

Regarding multitimbral, as I found the thing complicated to implement, I posted a tip on: https://fr.audiofanzine.com/rack-modelisation/roland/SH-32/astuces/

For a synth at this price point, such a polyphony with 4-way multitimbral, it is well worth 10!

The config is very simple if you&#39;re used to the subtractive synthesis: Nordlead owners or virus, you put fifteen minutes to understand the workings of the machine. The interface is weird but it makes sense and is easy to use. The manual is long and bushy is useful to decrypt messages from the small screen and learn to adjust the effects section other than the ear or haphazard.

The effects section is obviously not "realistic" but the very nature of digital (or very medium) of certain effects including distortions is more an advantage than a disadvantage in addition to gear warmer or more aggressive, and able use reverb very useful complement of gear drier.

I was quite surprised by the quality of sounds you can get out: of course the factory presets are all too many, too many have heard, too many effects, too large, etc.. But working the beast, it really roars (the seller in cash converters where I bought it watched me a funny look when I tested it out since I made noises of farts how Martians MS 20) and talking sweetly she knows how to be civilized, ambient, etc.. I am less convinced by the basslines that I&#39;m out for now but I do not care, I have other synths for that.

I have it and use it extensively for 3 months and I will change my mind in some time.

The synth should come MS2000R is the comparison, yet it sounds very different, more like a Nord. The HS-32 is very versatile, comprehensive and small, will complement very well with a set of instruments most pros.

The report&#39;s money is pretty amazing since I paid mine cheaper than the coast. Cons by more than 300 euros, I&#39;m not sure it&#39;s worth what is being done in the same price range. But on the other hand, I do not know of any desktop synth that is really equivalent, then ... The manufacturing quality is the same as on a TM 505: the knobs branlouillent after a little use, the sliders are small and not very precise and keys that light will live ... some time.

Basically, the HS, it looks like the child of a and a MC505 NordRack2 with features that are unique to himself and useful.

What I do not like? Actually nothing yet, except that it&#39;s tempting to "overplay" patches in the stuffing of effects and a bunch of stuff that&#39;s better without.