M-Audio Oxygen 8

Oxygen 8, 25-Key MIDI Keyboard from M-Audio in the Oxygen series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the M-Audio Oxygen 8

Average Score:4.3( 4.3/5 based on 25 reviews )
 13 reviews52 %
 9 reviews36 %
 2 reviews8 %
 1 user review4 %
sacchetta10/02/2014

sacchetta's review"A great compact MIDI keyboard to lug arond"

M-Audio Oxygen 8
I actually got this as part of a college program and used it everyday. I know it's plastic, but this thing is durable. The Oxygen 8 V2 is perfect for somebody that wants to make MIDI music on the go. Bring it to your favourite jam space just incase, it will fit easily on almost any desktop, use it to control your DAW or even hook it up to a synth and play on.

Specs:
-25 velocity sensitive keys
-Pitch bend and modulation wheel
-8 MIDI control knobs
-6 MIDI transport buttons
-5 MIDI function buttons
-Octave up/down or transpose up/down button
-3 digit LED screen
-USB
-MIDI output
-Optional DC power jack
-Sustain pedal jack
-On/off switch
-Kensington lock hole
-Ableton Live Lite 4 included

The set up for general use was very simple. On my mac I didn't have to install any drivers and I was able to use keys, pitch bend and the octave problem with no problems. Getting it to work with your DAW is another issue. Now I'll be honest, I didn't know much about MIDI keyboard/controllers when I first tried to get it to work. And I may have gotten frustrated and learned to live without the knob control feature. I found that I really didn't use synths in a way that required me to have the midi control so it was no problem to not have. Lets also note that the MIDI knobs are not infinity (you they have a limit to how far they can be turned either way. This means that when you try to adjust one of your on screen settings using the knob, it will automatically snap to where the physical knob is. This is a pain when you can't remember what exact setting you had had on before. When you adjust on screen it will change the value, however once you touch the physical knob again it will snap to wherever the knob is pointed.

I don't remember much about the manual. And unfortunately it's currently unavailable on the m-audio website. It is very similar to other competing MIDI keyboards so if you are familiar with those you won't have a problem. If you are still unsure there are plenty of videos on youtube to help you out!

The buttons are moderately easy to use. There are enough buttons to preform certain functions (sometimes you get units with lots of dual use buttons and things can become a pain when you have to a lot of adjustments). The layout of the keyboard is well thought out. The double stacked midi knobs definitely save some space compared to having them all in one row.

What I liked the most was the compact design. Granted, things have gotten smaller since the release. But at the time this was a lot more compact than others. I'll confess that I have accidentally dropped it once or twice, but the unit was fine with no noticeable marks. Unless it was a fluke this thing is not going to fall apart on you.

I can't really comment on MSRP because mine was included in a college program. However I've seen used ones online for around $80 and refurbished price of $85. At those prices the M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2 is an excellent choice.

The 25 keys were sensitive to pick up a fine touch and will not buckle if you hammer them. The key response was alright, without weighted keys what can we expect right? It would be nice if the keys were slightly lower to the surface it is sitting on.

This was my first model and was my only choice. I later moved onto a Novation Nocturne 49 but still keep my Oxygen 8 V2 in my work studio. It's one of those pieces of gear that I couldn't bring myself to sell. And it's good that I didn't sell because I end up using it all the time.

Pros:
-Light
-Durable
-LED Display
-Pitch bend and modulation wheels

Cons:
-Keys aren't solid
-Knobs aren't infinity
-No beat pads
-The colour shows marks easily (something darker would be better)
-No DC adapter included
MGR/ctargia05/04/2010

MGR/ctargia's review"M-AUDIO OXYGEN 8"

M-Audio Oxygen 8
Used it in college as midi input for Ableton Live or Logic Pro. I used it exclusively with audio software that processes MIDI input.

They had a few of these in my college that I had used.

This keyboard uses USB to connect to a PC or Mac, Midi works properly, no latency. It has a lot of different soft knobs that can be configured to different midi functions which can be very useful when inputting into your recording program. It is very lightweight and easily portable to wherever you might need to take it.

I wasn't able to figure out how to configure all the different nobs to the MIDI controls in the software i was using. But I only had usage of this in a college multimedia computer lab. I wasn't crazy about the feel of the keys, but that is just a personal preference. They worked properly though.

Well constructed. Built to last. Feel confident buying one used. Keys don't get sticky or have any other issues.

Try one out if you like the feel of it, get it. Its great for MIDI input to computers. Should work without drivers in Mac and some Pcs.

M-Audio Oxygen 8
I like that you can program the knobs in reason. For the price its worth it.

Price paid: $80.00USD

Its USB powered, just plug it in the usb port, install the drivers, configure to reason, good to go

I brought my used, it just has a few blemishes but thats it, its very light, you can put it in your book bag with your laptop.

I love that I can bring it anywhere. I just throw it in my bag go to a friends house, and im ready to play. I wish I would've got the ozone though, its a better buy.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: dbrand02121 ( 2-, 2006)

M-Audio Oxygen 8
No it's the perfect size, lightweight, super sleek design. Lovin it.

$125.95

Yes, as well as easy to transport.

Pretty sturdy, it's not like your going to be playin catch with it. I never dropped mines, and I recommend you don't either.

Love it to death.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: big nino (January 1-, 2005)

M-Audio Oxygen 8
This compact wee unit is cool as its got the lot! A whole bunch of solid rotary controls pitch + mod wheels, good midi controler with full size keys. Missing Mmm a few faders?

£75

A monkey could use this! the thing is great the rotaries are even jumbo so finding them on a dark stage is never gonna be a problem!!!!!!!

Steady as a rock! i even dropped it down some stairs, did it break? ha it laughed at me!! Though it has a wee crack in it

Great, amazing!!! it fits in the lap top bag for $$££ sake (With The LapTop) how cool is that on the train on a monday morning?

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: FlyMuzic (January 0-, 2005)

M-Audio Oxygen 8
This unit gives you a taste of basically everything you need to create music. It has 8 programmable knobs with an on-screen display of the current setting, so you can pinpoint the values on the spot without guessing. It only has 25 keys, but it's easy to flip through octaves. Also, being that the keys are velocity-sensitive makes a huge difference; it takes out most of the "midi-sound". The pitch bender and modulation wheels are a nice plus also. I give the features a 9 simply because it's not for the true piano player, theres just not enough keys. But for someone who wants to step away from step sequencing their melodies and get into the basics of piano, this is the unit of chice.

$120

This one would depend on what you actually have it plugged into... I'm running it with FL Studio and it's extremely easy to assign the knobs and stuff. So ease of use in my situation is a 10.

It has held up for quite some time, and nothing has given me problems yet. My only complaint is that it looks like a child's toy. It's much more capable than it looks...

This unit has brought me completely away from step-sequencing, and that's a major improvement to me. I think the next step for me will be moving up to a larger keyboard with the same features. So if you're a producer and you feel like you're in a rut with the same old thing, Pick up one of these things, it's the ultimate door to improving your music.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: SacDeadbeatS ( 8-, 2005)

M-Audio Oxygen 8
Well It has some nobs and pitch and balances that are pretty useful especially for the sample based producer. Which are quite good basically.

$139

Its real easy to use if you get use to it basically. You just have to adjust.

Well to me its well built and durable so Basically I like the quality of this keyboard. Plus I dropped it a few times and it didnt break at all which is quite good cause I don't have any warenty on this.

Its Pretty good basically works for most sequencers that are out already. You should definatly buy it.

I love. I use it all the time so basically its like the number one thing on my list so far basically so If you are just starting out producing you should really get this keyboard its really helpful to the newcomer.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Earthquake ( 7-, 2005)

M-Audio Oxygen 8
For me it's got too many features. All I needed is a way to sequence live play into my tracks which this thing does perfectly. But it's got 8 assignable control knobs for things like pitch, velocity, pan and so on that I rarely use becuase I prefer editing in software. If you're an oldschool hardware cat, then you'll like the option. It's powered by either USB or AC so that's great if you're on a laptop. The less wires the better.

170.00 CAD

EASY. Plug in the USB connector, install the software and you're ready to go.

It's good, but I wouldn't drop it or anything like that... it's a very light unit so be careful. Other than that I know for a fact its pretty durable. It's survived a few hits from my mini basketball (when I need to relax from tracking something, I play min hoops in my "studio") It would be nicer if it was heavier.. or more solid.

It's good. But I'd rather get the Midiman Ozone for the built in mic pre's or the Keystation 49e for it's straightforward simplicity. But if all you need to do is key-in some live events in your songs or you're just getting started it's a good controller. I can't really complain.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: cocopuffz ( 6-, 2004)

M-Audio Oxygen 8
It's very small and very good for transportation. Just put it in your bag with your laptop. Ok, then we've got a pitch and bend modulators, a little screen, two octaves, octave switchers and, of course, 8 rotating and _assinable_ knobs. Moreover - this baby can be powered via USB, that means you can make your loops in a subway, in a car, in a park - everywhere! For example Midiman's Ozone hasn't got this handy feature, so if you're after mobility - go for the Oxygen now!

139$

Very easy to use. Plug it and play. Though I still recomend you to read the manual. The problem here is to chose the right software. I've tried my Oxygen only with Propellerheads' Reason 2.5 - great results. I don't spend much time figuring out my melodies and drawing them with mouse anymore. I just push the REC button and play whatever I want. After this, if I'm not pretty much happy with the result, I can move the bars with mouse untill I'm satisfied. This is like working on another level.

The quality of this product is very high. Nothing to complain about. The keys are almost perfect, they even understand loudness and velocity.

It is so awesome, I'm totally loving it. I'm sure I won't get rid of this keyboard even after buying something more serious. If you're looking for a GOOD audio controller for your home/mobile studio than Oxygen 8 is exactly what you need!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: modernstyle ( 1-, 2004)

M-Audio Oxygen 8
A few sliders would be nice. Then again, that would make it more expensive. What is nice is it only has three buttons. Operating it is almost a no-brainer.

150 Euro

Easy as pancake!!!

It's a sturdy very portable item, but I wouldn't use it out and about without a good case around it.

It has no onboard sound, but the way it controls your sounds is great. Just be shure u use a low-latency setup (soundcard). Some cards produce up to almost half a second of delay.... Now I've switched and it works like a charm.

It's a beauty for me. And when I've grown out of it, I can still make use of it as an extra controller.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown (January 2-, 2003)