Behringer Ultrabass BX1200

Ultrabass BX1200, Bass Guitar Combo Amp from Behringer in the Ultrabass series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Behringer Ultrabass BX1200

Average Score:4.1( 4.1/5 based on 41 reviews )
 24 reviews59 %
 9 reviews22 %
 1 user review2 %
 3 reviews7 %
 4 reviews10 %
Audience: Beginners Value For Money : Excellent
ericthegreat01/12/2012

ericthegreat's review"def. not 120 watts"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
This amp is a 120watt solid state bass combo amplifier with a 10 inch speaker. Most of the connections are through 1/4 inch jacks. There is three bands of EQ, a volume knob, headphone out, and an auxiliary input for connecting anything else you may have that you want to be played through it but I don’t recommend it though. Stick with the bass through this thing.

It's very easy to dial up a variety of good tones using the EQ settings. I never had to crack open the manual, it's pretty much plug in and go.

A nice low end can be produced by this amplifier, or with different EQ settings, a nice mid tone can be used to cut right through. The amplifier doesn't go very loud, so it would be hard to use this next to drums, but it has more than enough power to teach lessons or to use in a bedroom.

This is a good amp, but I feel like Beheringer bass equipment tends to be overpriced due to the name. This amplifier isn't large enough or powerful enough to really use with a band unless it were miked. There isn't a direct out, so it would be hard to use it onstage. Still, this amplifier produces a nice, solid tone and would be very well suited to using it for bass lessons due to its compact size, RCA ins, and dual inputs. Effects would be a nice feature for this purpose, but aren't entirely necessary. If I could only add one additional feature to make it more useful it would be to have a direct out, so that the tone would be consistent instead of placing a direct box in between the bass and the amplifier. All in all its decent but there are many other amps on the market that can provide a better sound than this one at a better price.
Audiofanzine FR01/03/2011

Audiofanzine FR's review

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
Originally written by Bloodrain33 on Audiofanzine FR.

Solid-state amp.
Rated at 120 watts... 90 real watts...
Many connectors (speaker out, tuner out, etc.)
4-band EQ, 2 channels, Shape filter and Ultrabass effect
Passive and active inputs

Just plug into it and that's it! The sound is good... Of course, it's not a MarkBass but the price isn't the same either...
The manual is comprehensive but useless: it's a bass amp!

I play an old active Cort Action, a passive Custom PB.
I also use an Ibanez PD-7 overdrive pedal, and also an EHX Nano Clone chorus effect.
The Shape filter is cool, the Ultrabass function is useless: perhaps they wanted to introduce something new but they failed!

I bought it secondhand in May, 2008. The amp was made in 2006...
It's a good product. The output power (120 watts, supposedly) and the Ultrabass function are disappointing. I use it as my monitor on stage and it's enough to play at home...
I'm not sure if I would buy it again. It's certainly not expensive but I would like more output power and a better quality...
MGR/Lawdawg08/13/2007

MGR/Lawdawg's review"Behringer BX1200"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
Played guitar professionally 20+ years ago. Currently a bass player in a local mid life crises blues/rock band.

I wanted a starter combo amp. Checked out Musicians Friend and liked the price, although I was unfamiliar with Behringer products. Anyway for $199.00 I figured what the hell.

What the hell was right! I don't like anything about this amp. It is supposed to be 120 watts. In reality it's 60 watts per channel. I'm sorry, I digress. what I like anot this amp is that when the speaker blew after 16 days (No, I was not cranking it to its limit) while I was practicing scales, The warranty repair allowed me to donate this thing to a charity and writ it off.

The ultrabass function is a joke (Do any real musicians have a use for this??) I used a Fender Twin reverb as a gutarist and now that I've begun playing bass I'm embarassed to have used this amp. This product is strictly for beginners who are just starting to explore the world of music.

Construction was good, it was solid but overwieght (60+ pounds)

Buying this amp was a big mistake. Not that I'm so great (Although I am good) But this amp was way below standard in quality of it's eletronic components. I would be a better amp if they stripped all that ultrabass and sound shapeing crap off and made it one channel with the power they advertised.

MGR/Aaron09/15/2004

MGR/Aaron's review"Behringer Ultrabass BX 1200"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
I purchased this bass amp through Musicians Friend for $279.99. I had never heard this
amp before, but I liked the features and portability of the amp. I also planned on returning the amp if I didn't like it in any way.

The price was excellent. The amp sounds excellent, in fact I sold my Ampeg SVT on ebay after a few weeks of playing with the Behringer. Don't get me wrong, Ampegs sound great, but they only sound like an Ampeg. The Behringer sounds like an Ampeg, Fender,Gallen Kruger or just about any other amp you can think of. With the money I made selling the Ampeg I was able to pay for the Behringer and buy a new guitar.

I really can't think of anything I don't like about his amp !

The quality and construction are excellent. I think they could sell at twice the price.

I have never regretted buying the Behringer BX 1200. Everything about this amp is excellent from the sound to the contruction to the power to the size. I would recommend this amp to anyone at any level.

MGR/Anonymous07/19/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Behringer BX 1200 Ultrabass"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
$50 plus traded a Roland Bass Cube. I wanted something that could handle my abuse at home and at rehersals and small gigs.

Sound was much better than the Hartke and the Peavey that was next to it. Plus it was cheaper. I like the ability to shape the sound anyway you want it. It"s size is perfect to put through a car door without trouble or carrying it up and down stairs.

So far there isn't anything I don't like aboput it.

Construction seems to be up there with all the best gear. It's made of good heavy plywood, great carpet, heavy grill and tough corner protectors.

This amp has gone through the ringer so far. I play about 300 gigs a year and started using this at the smaller gigs just because I didn't need to lug my Eden rig. This amp is very versatile.

MGR/Anonymous05/19/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Behringer BX 1200 Ultrabass"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
I bought it from a local music store (Tampere, Finland), the original price was 329 euros, but I gave them my Laney Kc100 keyboard amplifier, which I had used as my bass amp, and so I managed to drop the price to 179 €. The main reason to change my amp was actually that the Laney didn't like much my Warwick's B-string played hard and it was quite lousy for bass anyway (no proper eq or anything...)

I really like the whole unit, the sound is great and with the shape function you can get a lot of different sounds out.

For example, if you set the channel one for a jaco-style sound, it's only one step on the footswitch and you can get a nice, round slap sound ( well maybe you have to pan your pickups a bit more to the neck side then ). The shape-function really does a lot to your sound, but it takes a while to learn how to use it with the 2-channel system. The BX 1200 also contains an octaver (behringer calls it ultrabass) and it is a nice extra function, but it's not very revolutionary, nice to play with sometimes. As the 2-channel system, the ultrabass is also controllable from the footswitch. The eq is also good enough, but it's shared for both channels.

This combo is also surprisingly powerful. Last day I was jamming with my drummer friend and we did everything from slap-funk to power-metal, and the Behringer definitely had enough power for those situations. It isn't very big but the sound is.

Well, because of the bass reflex cabinet, this one is quite hard to carry aroung and it also weights quite much (compared to its size) but that's it, nothing else to complain about.

It's well constructed and in my opinion the quality of this unit is surprisingly good compared to its price. But it should have some carrying handles on the sides too to make the carrying easier (it has only one handle on the top).

The BX 1200 also has almost every in- and output on the back you could wish for and by the way, the amp is cooled by a fan.

I think that this is the best bass combo I've played. It's well constucted, has a great sound for every situation, definitely enough power (120W, 12" aluminum cone speaker), lots of features, and an outstanding value.

MGR/Gman of the Wklan05/11/2004

MGR/Gman of the Wklan's review"Behringer Ultrabass BX1200"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
Musicians friend, for intents of practice and small gigs
Paid 275

Love the cleaness of sound and the second channel. It can boom out the neighborhood at half volume : )

The ultrabass funtion doesn't seem to have much of any effect on the sound at all, I use an Ibanez five string fretless. Most of all when I recieved this amp when I'd play high notes there would be a rattling sound coming from within the head when turned up less than half way. I don't know if this was just this unit or if it could be a design flaw. I got the run around from behringer saying that if they couldn't find the problem they'd just send it back and charge me the massive costs in shipping and inspection fees. With this being a problem when playing high notes at loud volumes and only intermittantly I didn't want to take the risk of them plugging it in once to check it out and not hear the problem and inadvertantly give me a royal shafting... So I returned it and upgraded to a different more dependable brand. I've also heard that people have had fuse problems with the amp. I've also heard other possible problems that seemed rather aesthetic and trivial to which I've taken with a grain of salt and therefore will not even mention here.

Construction is nice but I've heard of peoples knobs breaking off during moves and jacks breaking out when cords have been stepped on. I liked the wedge shape feature. Quality...well like i stated above, you may get lucky and get one that you don't ever have a problem with, but as for me... I did and have heard of others who have as well and I want the amp I buy to last for more than just a year or two.

Overall for the purposes of a nice looking clean sounding amp it is pretty good supposing you don't have to do much gigging and don't have an initial problem like I did. My biggest fear in keeping the thing was that if there was something loose in there, it would have only gotten looser in time and once you open the thing up the warranty is void. Amps vibrate...bass amps really vibrate, and I want something that seems to be of sound construction from the start. Otherwise the features are a nice plus, but sound quality is held in much higher regard in my book than any little icing slapped on the cake. Good luck and I hope this is useful.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you investigate into other reviews than just mine and the other one on this amp on this site before you make your decision, hell the other guy, apparently, didn't even know how to spell properly and or doesn't know grammar. Either way that in and of itself should tell you something. If you look into other review sites you will find others that share my sentiment.

MGR/RIKKITIKKITAVI03/22/2004

MGR/RIKKITIKKITAVI's review"Behringer Ultrabass BX1200"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
I acquired this unit from musiciansfriend.com for about 290$ (including shipping and a warranty)

This is probably one of the best bass amps i have ever played with. The sound quality was terrific and the footswitch was helpful. The amp comes with a wonderful Ultrabass effect which adds an even lower frequency to the sound. the amp, surprisingly, can handle high volume without causing any distortion at all. the amp is only 120 watts but it seems like 300! the dynamizer provides a great punch and the amp is basically more portable than similarly powered amps. Fender and Peavey make these amps but the amps cant compete with behringer. this is by far the best value for your dollar on the market. the amp can handle band practices and even smaller gigs. This is a first choice for any experienced player. beginners dont need all of its power but it is great anyway! the tilt bac action is wonderful as a monitor speaker.

there isnt much to dislike about this amp but the carpet covering can attract all kinds of dust.

This unit gets shipped to band practice at least twice a week minimum and it holds up in the back of a pickup truck. the quality is phenomenal and behringer did a wonderful job. It is a very very solid amp.

This is a great buy. behringer may not make SWR or Ampeg amps but this is buy far a better deal. The amp is solid well built and sounds wonderful. I wood recommend the amp to anyone!!

MGR/Icaboyd03/07/2004

MGR/Icaboyd's review"Behringer BX1200"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
I bought this from musicians friend. I paid $249 US dollars.

This combo amp has a very surprising tone for just having a 12 inch speaker. It does not give the same low-end of a 15" combo or cabinet, but it comes pretty close. The Aluminum cone is very tight and punchy. And the EQ section coupled with 2 seperate channels gives you plenty of room for adjustment. The Ultrabass effect is very nice for the high end notes totally fattens them up, but it gets alittle muddy on the low B string of a 5 or 6 string. The 120 watts is plenty of power for jamming even with a hard-hitting drummer... and you can always substitute the aluminum speaker with an extension cabinet for more power.

Not too much I dont like about this little combo. Its alittle heavy for its small size, but then again most bass amps are.

Built like a tank. And it has plenty of inputs/outputs on the back.

This little combo is great for what it is. A loud and small combo amp, with plenty of adjustments for complete tonal control. http://www.icaboyd.com

MGR/scott02/09/2004

MGR/scott's review"Behringer BX1200 Ultra Bass"

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
I bought 2 of these units at Gracewinds Music in Corvallis for $249 a piece.

I am a proffesional bass player who plays for several different bands as well as having a band of my own. The band that I am a frontman for is a 3 piece with Bass, sax, and drums. The bass is the lead instrument in this group so the sound and command are important. I use a Behringer Bass V Amp as a pre amp and it controls two 1200's. The sound is amazing. It has never been too quite and with two of them a can have stereo or point them in different directions to fit the accoustics of the room. I could break some windows in a small room with this set up.

For the money it is kind of lame to complain about anything. Although the ultra bass is great for 1 or 2 notes, but any more than that and it is worthless. I use a preamp so I dont bother with the controls mounted on these units. The preamp controls give a little hiss that goes away with the use of an external preamp.

These things are solid and should last.

These things are amazing. They are ideal with a Behringer Bass-V amp or V amp Pro. The power and sound quality is great. I play with a lot of different people and every time and pull out my amps I get some funny looks. By the end of the first set people are either telling me to turn down or asking me where they could buy a Behringer. Save yourself 400 bucks and buy Behringer.