Marshall VS100R

VS100R, Hybrid Combo Guitar Amp from Marshall in the ValveState II series.

All user reviews for the Marshall VS100R

Average Score:4.2( 4.2/5 based on 43 reviews )
 22 reviews51 %
 12 reviews28 %
 5 reviews12 %
 3 reviews7 %
 1 user review2 %
Riddlesgun04/30/2012

Riddlesgun's review"Great Amp"

Marshall VS100R
I recently picked up this amp on Ebay for a little over 200 dollars. A damn good deal. The serial number denotes it was made in 1998 and I’m cool with that.…very cool. I like older women, guitars, Harleys and amps. I don’t want to start a rush to buy the old England made amps, but if you’re reading this…you already suspect what many of us know. Chinese made stuff is OK but when you’re deciding between a product made by people that don’t share the historical and cultural importance of a Marshall amp. Add that the poor slub has moved maybe 100’s of miles from his friends and family to live in concrete structures with hundreds of other workers, versus a scrubby, hard working Brit, that’s able to have a pint on his lunch break, go to the pub with his mates after work, throw darts, listen to the old great British bands on the juke box, bet on which Marshall the song was played on, then go to the old timers table to find out who was right. Those stellar fellas that took pride in their work, their family, Eric Clapton the Beatles and Marshall. This amp has the warm tones and roundness that reminds you of these great people that assembled these amps. Don’t get me wrong. I have Marshall tube and solid heads and cabs, made in China and they work fine. But I can tell a difference. Kinda like having a mute girlfriend that never gives you grief or a blow up doll. The end result and deed would appear to be the same…but it’s not quite the same. This is a 100 watt amp that can push major sound on it’s on or you can plug it into a large speaker cabinet. This amp is a powerful practice amp or can be used as a head for a cabinet. I got this for it’s “Buy it Now” price of 187.00, a little shipping and a new missing Marshall logo that caused it to be ignored by buyers looking for a pristine Marshall. I like it and if I had the money I’d buy another for my grandson.
They won’t be making them in England anymore and if they did, the labor unions of the Brits and the punitive import American unions would make them cost prohibitive. But do yourself and true aficionados’ a favor. Keep your bidding calm, buy quietly and let’s keep it on the down low. Lest some suits and schworms buy all the old ones and jack up resale prices that keep you and your prodigy out of the English Marshall amp market. So…shhh…Let’s keep this just between us friends.
yoTrakkz12/11/2011

yoTrakkz's review"rocks!"

Marshall VS100R
This is a tube combo amp that has developed a loyal following over the years. It has a single 1/4" connection. It has two channels, which are designated rhythm and lead. The rhythm channel is clean/slightly overdriven, and actually has a crunch switch which, tellingly, adds more crunch to the sound. The lead sound is heavily distorted, and pretty compressed. It has a whopping 120 watts of power. There are gain controls for each channel, but the 3-band EQ is shared between both. There is also a master volume. Additionally, there are resonance and presence controls, which add gain to the low and high ends, respectively.

Getting a good sound out of this depends entirely on your expectations. This is for rock and all its children, folks. Jazz, Blues, Country, and even the lighter rock genres are definitely not going to thrive here. That being said, this will work really well for most heavier rock styles, and even metal and hardcore acts would find much to love. Finding a good sound is easy assuming you know what you're looking for. The manual will explain how to use everything pretty well. I find sometimes that there are too many features, but I guess that's not too bad.

I'll be perfectly frank, and say that if you aren't using guitars with humbuckers, or something similar on them, then this isn't going to work for you. I think my Les Paul sounds best with this. The thing can rock a small club by itself if need be, and with good speakers, this thing will really kick. Mostly, I think the best sounds are the heavier ones. Even though that's not my favorite type of music, I get such a rush when this thing is really rockin' that I don't think about it. The sheer power that comes through this thing is mind-blowing. Even though I'd probably never play in the kind of band that would require such obscene amounts of gain, I still love playing it. It's really not great for clean tones, but I doubt anyone interested in purchasing this would be worried about that.

Since there's plenty of people for whom really rocking out is absolutely essential, I think that this amp could really catch on with the hard rock/metal/hardcore crowd. It's getting more and more expensive as its reputation grows, so I think that if you can't find one used right away, grab a new one while they aren't too expensive. Peavey is usually pretty good about being affordable, so it probably won't get that bad. Definitely a quality product, without a doubt.
iamqman11/28/2011

iamqman's review"Not my first choice"

Marshall VS100R

Marshall has to be one of my favorite guitar amplifiers because they have such a great thick warm tone that is very conducive to my playing style. Marshall has built some of the best amplifiers for hard rock and metal tones and a sometimes build very inexpensive budget friendly amps as well. This is one of those amplifiers that is tailored towards the budget friendly musician or someone who doesn't have a whole lot of money to spend on a guitar amplifier. This is not good to be here great sounding JCM 2000 or JCM 800 amplifier at all. This is good to be an amplifier that's can basically be home around practice amp for you.

Features

* 100 Watt Valvestate power stage driving 1x12'' speaker [vs100r] or 2x12'' speakers [vs102r].
* ECC83 [12ax7] Pre-amp valve active on all 3 channels.
* 3 independent footswitchable channels, 'Clean', 'Overdrive 1' and 'Overdrive 2'.
* Clean channel with Treble, Middle and Bass controls, plus Tone Shift switch for extra tonal options.
* Overdrive 1 channel with its own Gain and Volume plus shared EQ with Overdrive 2.
* Overdrive 2 channel with its own Gain, Volume and sweeping Contour control.
* Power Dimension switch to give the effect of the greater saturation of a valve power stage of lower wattage being driven hard.
* Built-in spring Reverb with separate level controls for the Clean and Overdrive 1/2.
* Effects Loop with front panel Mix control.
* Headphone jack [which mutes the internal speaker].
* Line Out jack with Speaker Emulation for connection to external equipment.
* Extension speaker jacks

I'm not really a fan of the tone of this amplifier . It has a very thin raspy fuzzy tone that sounds like garbage to my ears. You have three channels to choose from and none of them really speak volumes to me. You have a clean channel an overdrive one channel and then in overdrive to channel 2 to increase of gain and solo lead playing. The lead channels do not really sound that great and it is hard for me to understand why you would need essentially a practice amp sound with 100 W of power. There's no way that you're going to need hundred watts of garbage tone. This does sound like Marshall and a sense with its voicing endgame structure but the feeling and tone of it just flat-out terrible. I would recommend this guitar amplifier to anyone because it sounds terribly raspy .

I would not recommend this amplifier to anyone because of hundred watts of power for a terrible selling amplifier and it simply just does not do it for me. If you need a good practice amp then I suggest going with something it's around 15 to 20 W of power. That is enough suitable volume for someone is playing in the bedroom/ garage or in a quiet space. These amps have been discontinued for a while so you'd only be able to find a them in the used classified sections.
ericthegreat11/27/2011

ericthegreat's review"great amp"

Marshall VS100R
The Marshall ValveState II VS1006 is a tube guitar amplifier. The model I have is a silver face and was made in 1976. There are four 1/4 inputs - two for each channel. The first channel has dials for volume, bass, mid, and treble. The second channel has the same as the first channel, plus settings to control the reverb and the vibrato - reverb, speed, and intensity. There is a foot pedal to turn vibrato and reverb on and off.

The VS1006 has a general great tone to it. The parameters are straightforward and it is easy to manipulate the amp to get the sound you are looking for. The inherent great tone makes it very easy to get a good sound. I bought this amp used and never had a manual for it.

The VS1006 definitely suits my style of music, as I usually go for a slightly vintage sound when I play rock or pop music. I use this mostly for guitar, but have used it for some keyboards as well. The clean tone on this amp is brilliant and rich in tone. I have a few distortion pedals I use when I want a heavier sound as there isn't much of an overdrive on this amp. If you pull out the master volume knob it gives you a slight overdrive, but sometimes doesn't give enough crunch. The vibrato and reverb effects are some of the best of its kind. The vibrato is pulsating while the reverb is quite authentic. This amp definitely lives up to the name of Fender has made for itself.

I've had my VS1006 for about six years. It is my # 1 amp and I use it both in the studio and on the stage. I got a great price on mine used, but even the median price for these used is reasonable. These amps sound great and are built to last. I love my VS1006 and it will continue to be my go to guitar amp for as long as it will last!
tjon90106/15/2011

tjon901's review"Valvestate Combo"

Marshall VS100R
A few years ago solid state amps were still not really accepted by most guitar players. Players felt that they sounded too digital and unnatural. In the 90s Marshall attempted to bridge the gap between tube amps and solid state amps by making hybrid amps. The Marshall hybrid amps contained a tube in the preamp with a solid state power section. This solid state power section meant you could easily simulate load on the amp and get great tones even at low volumes. It has a clean channel and an overdrive channel. The overdrive channel comes with two voicings and the clean channel has its own EQ. They call it a 3 channel amp but it is really a two channel amp with two overdrive modes. It puts out 100watts of power with an effects loop. It has a rather flimsy spring reverb. When i got mine it was almost broken off. It pretty much rattles inside the amp chassis. 100 Watts is a lot of power for such a little combo amp.

It has a few more knobs than your normal amp. Starting at the left you have the input for your guitar cable. The first set of knobs are for the clean channel. After the clean channels EQ knobs there are some buttons for a clean boost or clean OD sound for the clean channel. The next two knobs are the gain and volume for the overdrive 1 channel. Then there is a button to switch between OD 1 and OD 2. The overdrive 2 section has gain contour and volume. The contour knob will be your best friend with this amp. After these knobs there is the shared EQ for the overdrive channels. The last set of knobs are for the FX loop and the reverb. You can adjust how much reverb you get on the clean and dirty channels. Because it is a combo instead of a head the amp is pretty heavy. It is probably more than 60 pounds. This may hurt your back.

The gain on this amp is very contemporary sounding. Playing with the contour knob you can go from a classic British sound to a searing high gain sound. The contour knob emulates the loading of the power amp. Chuck Schuldiner from Death used this this amp on most of his albums and it sounds exactly like what you heard on these albums. With the contour knob on low the sound is more classic Marshall. It has a lot of bite and clarity. With the contour knob turned up all the way the it tightens way up. With the contour knob up it almost sounds like a modern 6l6 amp. The clean channel is good but it is not great. The clean channel has a very cold sound even with the reverb on. I am not able to push this amp to its maximum volume but it would be interesting to see how the speaker holds up under the strain of 100 watts. Normally a 100 watt amp would have at least 4x12 hooked up to it. This combo just has one speaker.

These amps offer great bang for the buck. Since it is a combo you will not have to worry about getting a cabinet to go with it. These amps put out a great metal sound for such a little price. With the turn of a single knob you can go from classic British gain to a searing modern metal sound. Dont let the valvestate badge scare you off these early hybrid Marshalls sound really good.
Audiofanzine FR11/02/2008

Audiofanzine FR's review

Marshall VS100R
(Originally written by Gratt'oche/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

Hybrid amp with one tube within a solid-state design.
Marshall indicates 100 watts. Compared to a JCM900 full stack, this "small" amp is nothing to laugh at. I think it actually does provide 100 watts... The "plastic" electronics produce a surprisingly good sound.
Comprehensive connections: FX loop, channel selection footswitch, 2 speaker outputs, one headphone output with speaker mute function and line output with speaker simulation for direct connection to a mixer...
Very comprehensive settings for a compact amp: 3 channels, shared EQ for both distortion channels and Contour function (OD2 channel) that increases the sound range.

Nothing surprising if you have already used a guitar amp. The setting is very easy, simply turn the knobs... It's plug and play...
You'll have to take a few minutes to find exactly the sound you need, but you don't need to be an engineer.
I have no user's manual and I don't miss it... But I know Marshall user's manuals are very comprehensive.

The sound is surprisingly good... Of course it doesn't sound like a JCM but it's really good for the money...
You can use the amp with every kind of guitar no matter if it has single-coils or humbuckers... Marshall isn't famous for its clean tone, but it is still decent enough. Both overdrive channels provide all distortion levels from slight crunch to fat overdrive...

I bought this amp really cheap to a friend of mine who gave up guitar. I recently saw this amp at a shop (secondhand) and it was even cheaper.
It's super reliable (advantage of transistors over tubes) and robust. It's loud enough to play with a drummer and it offers an excellent value for money.
It's an excellent choice if you want a budget amp with a good output power and a respectable sound. I prefer tubes but I'll still keep this amp!
MGR/Justin12/24/2003

MGR/Justin's review"Marshall Valvestate VS100 Combo"

Marshall VS100R
I got this thing off ebay used for $250. Thats a steal for a 100 watt amp, let alone a marshall with a tube in it. I played one of the newer 100 watt valvestates, that go for around 700 bucks or so, and the only difference between the vs100 and the avt100 is that the avt has some extra amp effects. Seeing as I already had a decent multi effects pedal, and like a good clean sound, I knew it would be perfect for me.

I definately like its features, the power dimension switch actually does do something, i don't know what the guy who wrote the previous review is talking about. He probably doesn't know how to use it properly. Its great for when you need to pay quiet, but still want the same amp effects of being turned up. And by turned up, I mean your guitar's volume knob. It basically allows you to turn down your guitar, but crank up the amp, and not have the police pounding on your door threatening you with a fat ticket, all because you just want to perfect your tone. This thing sounds s pretty good, my roomate has a Crate Blue Voodoo Half Stack (120 All Tube Head, 4x12 Cabinet), and I like the tone I get out of my amp more. I find it to be warmer. And oh man, this thing can get loud. Even though its only got 1 12 inch speaker, it can hold its own against my roomates half stack. Which leads me to the other features of this. It's a real combo amp. The speaker plugs in just like a head plugs into a 4 by cab. You can also use it as a head, and get a speaker cabinet later on, as it has the umph to power one, and two speaker outputs on the back. Its great if you want something powerfull, and gigable, with a good sound, but may want to upgrade later on. The first overdrive channel is a good blend between a sweet warm clean tone and a crunchy tube overdrive. It has problems if you try to use it out of context (not for screaming distortion sounds). The Overdrive 2 Channel can get you that scream, and if you are in the mood for pissing off your neighbors with screaming harmonic distortion that seems like its on the verge of shaking the resonance frequency of your apartment building, it works great.

Everything about it is good, except that its noisy. It hums like a 2 dollar whore with a bad crack addiction. I replaced stock marshall tube, and put in a Mesa Boogie SPAX7, and it improved the sound significantly. It also has a spring reverb, so this thing is suseptable to interference and bad power wiring in your house. I may be a tad bit spoiled, because i've been using my strat (with vintage noiseless pickups) on a fender acoustic amp, which has no noise at all. Its a very "natural" amp, so with the tube and the spring reverb, it seems almost impossible to completely get rid of a hum. Take care of the tube inside it (don't stick the amp in the trunk of your car and go hit speed bumps at 50 MPH), and keep the power to the amp as clean as possible, and you'll be ok. You can't be super picky about noise, or this thing will drive you nuts. I'm currently researching about installing a ground loop in the amp, and that may be what it needs.

Its a Marshall. Its beefy, and marshalls are just about the finest made amps on the market. I'd suggest swapping out the tube and putting a mesa boogie SPAX7 in it.

Great amp for the price, its got plenty of feautres without a bunch of cheezy low quality bells and whistles. Its got that good marshall quality, its loud enough to gig with, and its very versatile.

MGR/Glenny11/13/2002

MGR/Glenny's review"Marshall VS100"

Marshall VS100R
Second hand form local guitar shop around £300.

This amp is very vyer versatile. With three channels, a power cut and a tone shift it can be played in almost any envriment. If this is the top end of your budget it will fill any venue that you will paly in and with the power cut on it can be palyed at home with others in the house. The clean tone is superb, but it does need a good piece of wood on the end of the cable; only play wiht quality guitars. When using high powerd pickups the clean distorts to a wonderful blues sound AND this can be avoided if it is not the sound you are after by sorting out the controls on your guitar. With two dirty (or clean if you turn the gain down) channels dynamics can be added upon by the footswitch as well as your own technique. Both channels can be set up similarly to have subtle changes or for vast volume changes. Personally i like to leave the gain for OD1 around 2 or 3 and not put the gain for OD2 above six. After this point i find the texture too washy (like sand on a snare drum) for myself but if you turn tone on your guitar down this works for new-metal (if that is your cup of tea). The reverb circuit is sublime and all thee channels respond well to fx as long as you remember that you are playing guitar and not fx box.

With the power cut on the guitar lose tone. Alos the tone only really gest going above half volume. i am sure taht with a 100W Marshall that is really very bloody loud to play on your own but is good for parctising with your band or live.

The build quality is very good. i have only had one problem but that was with a kink in a cable on the footswitch and not the amp itself.

It is a very good amp for the price.

MGR/Anonymous12/27/2001

MGR/Anonymous's review"Marshall VS100 Combo"

Marshall VS100R
2nd hand from my dads mate, got it for £200, with footpedal and a 100 watt extension cab.

It looks class, clean sounds ok (i never use clean though so thats ok) overdrive 1 is a bit plain, but overdrive 2 kicks ass, dump the bass on max, middle on 0 and treble in the high areas and turn up the contour, and u get an excellent thrash sound. i play a mix of punk/metal through a seymour duncan bridge humbucker, it sounds excellent. there is minimal noise on high volumes as well. this thing is bloody loud.

Aint had any problems as of yet.

Its a Marshall, built like a tank and high quality. Will last through anything.

Shame they Marshall didnt offer an EQ for both overdrive one and two but that aint really a problem. also the power dimension switch is pretty useless.

dadavv07/27/2012

dadavv's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)" good amp underestimated and misused"

Marshall VS100R
everything has been said about the characteristics

You can get a good sound provided you use the guitars that come with it. Oh yes, amps do not go with all the guitars and vice versa ....

simple unassuming but powerful and convenient.

9/10 because if I compare to a tube amp ben ..... no, do not compare, this is not the same! those who do not do this maliciously stupid comparison.

Just the clear sound that is not terrible when compared to a medium Fender solid state.

This is a good hybrid that gives sounds hard metal or OD2. I played on the JCM 2000 = sold = sold JCM 900, Fender Blues Junior = sold = sold Fender Hot Rod and others, but me, I need the personal VS 100 because I control right. The OD2 to rhythmically with weaker flight and gain to 11 hours for the solo, with OD1 gain at the bottom. The OD1 is clearer for the accuracy of the solos.

I played this amp with a LP studio and rendering was not great.
With a Strat from 92 U.S. it was worse!. With USA tv it sounded a little better. IMHO this is not an amp made for single coils.

Now I play with a Les Paul Standard and it does it well. I'm happy. Do not ask me why a guitar is better than another, that's like life, a woman I will then only one other is the cata!

I use it since 1997 but there have been times when I had the lamp and he was resting.
Now I sold the lamps and I have emerged. I enjoy much more than my old tube.

Each noon to find his door.

Anyway now my "Gary Moore" and my "Deep Purple" "Led Zepp" sounds much better tone and volume are very well controlled.