Epiphone SG Special

SG Special, SG-Shaped Guitar from Epiphone in the SG series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews of 5/5 for the Epiphone SG Special

Average Score:3.9( 3.9/5 based on 45 reviews )
 19 reviews42 %
 17 reviews38 %
 4 reviews9 %
 2 reviews4 %
 2 reviews4 %
Audience: Beginners Value For Money : Excellent
View price information
MGR/ZG02/03/2005

MGR/ZG's review"Epiphone SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
Purchased at an independant ma & pa shop. I had very little $$$ at the time and wanted a good guitar (who doesn't?) I paid $299.99 canadian.

The playability of this guitar is very good, regardless of price. It has a standard stoptail piece bridge which is very easy to use and intonate. The tuners are metal with a high ratio which kinda sucks but it is still usable (still way better than anything close to this price). The neck is bolt on but feels very solid. The neck is finished like the body too which you don't normally find on something this price.

There is nothing about it that is really awful. The drawbacks it does have are not even comparable in this price range; only if it were a $900 guitar or something.

The pickups are not the greatest sounding, but they do sound good. (www3.telus.net/mechatohm to listen to this guitar in action) The switch does cut out once in a blue moon. I can't quite get the low E string to fully intonate on lower tunings, it's damn close though. Oh, the color. I got the red and it's kind of a weird foggy purple/red. I don't like the color but oh well.

It is constructed quite well. It is light yet sturdy. Once again, put in relation to it's price category, in my opinion, it far surpasses any competition. Even though it is a bolt on neck, it has been very solid.

I have had this guitar for 4 odd years now. I will never sell/trade it. It never seems to let me down. That's pretty good because I play it a lot. For the money, it was an excellent value. The only real drawback I see is the finish. I really don't like it much at all, but hey, at least it's not pink or some damn thing like that!

MGR/Robert11/18/2004

MGR/Robert's review"Epiphone SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
I got this guitar at pheifers house of music (in stettler) for about 230$ (canadian.) I got it because it caught my eye and im tired of playing strats.

Keeps in tune for DAYS
Good action on the lower strings (E,A,D)
Really great sound
Really good pickups

Nothing important here.

Good constuction, everything seems to be put together nicely. The things u put the strap on arent even a little wobbly, and i dont ever expect them to be. For anyone who cant afford a gibson SG, this is the guitar for you.

Buy this guitar. It is well worth the money, and will last you a long time.

MGR/OWA for life09/17/2004

MGR/OWA for life's review"Gibson SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
I bought this guitar at Guitar Center during their Labor Day sale. The list price was 1400 dollars, but they had it for $799. I asked the worker there about it, and he said he would sell it to me for $470. Best deal I've ever seen.

The guitar for the most part is great. The body is extremely light compared to most other guitars. The tuners stay in tune for about a week. The pickups sound great, and there is a tone and volume knob for each pickup. They actually work too. Overall, a great axe.

There are only a few minor details that I don't like about the guitar. For one, there is a cheap-looking tape around the pickups to protect the coils. Also, the strings are a little too high on the bridge, but you can get used to that easily. (I played a strat before this, so it was a big difference to me).

So far everything has been in working order. No complaints here.

If you see this guitar and you need a new one, buy it! It has killer tone and a nice price tag, especially for a Gibson. Definitly worth the money.

MGR/Kurt Sumpter07/27/2004

MGR/Kurt Sumpter's review"Epiphone SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
I got this guitar at MusiciansFriend.com after the neck on my Hondo II broke. It was 150 dollars, about 160 after shipping. I was amazed at how quickly it shipped. I had ordered it on a Monday and it came Wednesday of the same week!

Everything!!! I expected the finish to be a cheezy bright red, but I was delighted to find that is was a dark, semi-transparent red, just like my friend's much more expensive G-400. There's only one volume knob and one tone knob, but in my opinion that is good, because if I wanted to use a vibrato effect with both pickups, a volume knob for each pickup would make that almost impossible. Neck is straight, tuners have a very smooth operation. In the pictures it doesn't have the little black ring around the toggle switch, but it came with that too!

Only the factroy installed strings. I'll probably put Slinky's on soon. And it sometimes picks up a radio signal.

It's amazingly solid. The pickups are good, I could talk forever about how nice it sounds. But like I said before, the strings aren't the best.

You know what they say, you get what you pay for. Well "They" obviosly haven't seen this guitar! With the quality of the unit at this price, it's the equivalent of buying a Ferrarri for $500. It's great guitar for AC/DC and Black Sabbath, but any I've played stuff from Santana to I Believe in a Thing Called Love, and this guitar sounds great all the way.

MGR/Anonymous07/06/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Epiphone SG Special"

I acquired it at musicians friend and paid about 150 bucks. AWSOME!!! GUITAR

im a huge AC-DC fan so you can see why I got it in the first place. I love shape the sound and its great with distortion.

I think it shoud have come with silver pickup covers but what can you exspect for 150 bucks.

its not bulit like a fender but its still well made.

If you love ac-dc get this guitar great guitar for the money.

MGR/Alex Kozen01/19/2004

MGR/Alex Kozen's review"Gibson SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
I purchased this guitar used at a local guitar shop about a year ago for $650. I only played it for about 5 minutes before i fell in love with it. The pervious owner had hardly played it, so it was in mint condition.

The neck is the perfect size, and is lightning fast. The tuners never go out of tune, despite heavy playing. The body is light, so you can jump around and play at the same time, and not break your back. Sounds almost as good as a les paul, for about half the price!

The bridge pickup is a bit weak for my tastes, i plan on swapping it for a Gibson 498T sometime. Other than that, the guitar is perfect!

Since i got it so new, the bridge saddles had almost no indentation in them, so when i played really hard the strings would pop off the saddles. A trip to a tech set this straight, for 78 cents. Solid craftsmanship, meant to be played, and played hard.

I love this guitar! And at such a great price, it was well worth it. Sounds awesome for rock and hard, distorted music, especially through my mesa heartbreaker. But also sounds great for blues, through my friend's Vox AC110. I will never get rid of this guitar.

MGR/Phil Janssen12/10/2003

MGR/Phil Janssen's review"Gibson SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
I picked up this piece at the local guitar center for a small $850.

First and for most this is one nice guitar. The finish is superb without flaws. I picked up the WIne Red and it is gorgeous. Another great feature is the neck. The rosewood fret board is smooth and the with the littlest application a string rings with pure sound. OVerall I am pleased at the gutiar itself. No questions asked.

None that I can really think of.

Its a Gibson. Need I say more. No place else can you get this quailty and pure sound.

As said before it is a Gibson. Gibson is known for quality and duration of life. I played a Schecter C-1 plus next to this gutiar and there was no comparison. Don't look over this you want a guitar and look no further.

MGR/Tom Cusic08/29/2003

MGR/Tom Cusic's review"Gibson SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
Paid by credit card, for £469, on special offer at Academy of Sound on the opening weekend. Reduced by £100.

This guitar is the extreme versatile instrument! My music tastes range from heavy metal to classical rock, blues to ska, and everything in between, and there's not one thing I've found difficult to play. The two humbucker pickups sound amazing, the bridge pickup cutting through for lead players, the neck pickup for the nice warm tone and when you select the middle position on the pickup selector you get a crystal clear sound, which I commonly use for ska playing. You get absolutely no feedback when you don't want it, and when you do it comes out perfect. Gigs brilliantly.

The only complaint I have is the action was too high when I bought it.

MGR/Dustin J. Tacker08/14/2003

MGR/Dustin J. Tacker's review"Epiphone SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
I was looking for a really cheap guitar that sounded rather heavy to replace my blue Jackson that I hated. I ran across this Guitar at a good price at Guitar center and didn't buy it at the time, I felt a lot of other guitars and this had the best feel to me. My brother bought one in red and I played it on my dad's amp and I loved the sound. So a few weeks later, I went back and bought it for around 180$.

I play through a beginner setup with an Ibanez Tone Blaster 25, and zoom 505II pedal. With thick strings this thing sounds a lot heavier than I expected and that was what I was looking for. I really love the feel of the neck on here, I have small hands and fingers and it's very easy for me to play. This guitar is also very light, which I enjoy. Mine is black and it looks pretty mean, I read somewhere that if you put pickup covers on it, it enhances the look, so I think I'll try that. Overall my favorite part of this guitar is it's playability, between your right hand placement, and the neck shape and comfort it's an awsome guitar for a beginner or intermediate on a tight budget like me.

for under 200 dollars there's not much to not like... But to pick it apart: the strap often comes off of the holders, so just get quick locks. which are very cheap. I like to outfit mine with medium strings to keep it sounding heavy with the best tone I can get, I think this is result of the pickups, I am looking into replacing mine. Overall there's not much to dislike about this guitar... I've seen a few bad reviews that say this guitar is not as good as other sg's and the truth is it's at very least 100 dollars cheaper. So for the money it's awesome

I don't beat my stuff against a wall, but I do rock out pretty hard when I feel like it. I've dropped it a couple times, and all that happened was it got knocked out of tune. I think the overall construction is great for a cheap guitar. Very much worth the money you pay. Another small thing is the input screw comes loose but I just reach down with my hand and tighten it.

This is the best guitar I have played for under 200$ and maybe 250$. I personally think it's up to your own taste and the feel of the guitar, but for me this is hard to beat.

MGR/powerjunkie08/01/2003

MGR/powerjunkie's review"Epiphone SG Special"

Epiphone SG Special
Bought the guitar from American Music Supply online new for 139.99(scratch and dent)Got the guitar expecting minor damage and when I pulled it from the box it looked good as new minus some very minor surface scratches from a belt on back of the body, buffed right out with blue magic. AMS is awesome!

This guitar is great, I originally bought a Washburn X-20 but due to the tremolo crap it wouldn't hold a tune. Love the tune o matic bridge, holds a tune for days. Awesome sound variance(far exceeds the X-20)Super lightweight and very easy to play. I got the vintage sunburst and I love the look(tired of the strat type body). Fixed tailpiece and adjustable neck a must(for you beginners who arent sure what to look for) this has both. Save yourself the shopping around and check out AMS online, great customer service!

wish the head was one sided don't like tuner hardware on both sides(minor)

Very sturdy, beautiful guitar!

I'm going to keep this guitar and upgrade pickups and thats about it, can't find a nicer body style at any price if you ask me!