Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]

American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000], STC-Shaped Guitar from Fender.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]

• +1
Average Score:3.7( 3.7/5 based on 50 reviews )
 24 reviews48 %
Audience: Beginners
M Elise12/02/2008

M Elise's review

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
Mine is a red American Standard Stratocaster made in the USA in the early 90s. It has the traditional Strat single coil setup with a 5 position toggle switch. Strats of this era were the first to adopt the new 2 position pivot point bridge/whammy bar setup. Mine has an alder body and rosewood neck. The pickups were the standard pickups from the era that Fender was using. I have more to say about the pickups later. I have to rate it a 8 out of 10 because the Strat design is a classic if ever there was one but I'm not sure that these 90s era Strats are really the best.

When I bought it the neck played like butter. It couldn't have been better. It still plays well but I have had to make adjustments over the years to compensate for different string gauges.
I believe the 2 pivot point whammy bar works more smoothly and easily than the original design but also has its drawbacks which I talk about later.
The guitar has held up well over the years.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to compare this guitar to two 70s Strats and one Mexican Strat from the 90s. The American Strat sounds smoother and better overall than the Mexican Strat in all positions except for the bridge treble pickup position which lacks bite and life in comparison to the Mexican. The 70s Strats sound stronger and glassier to me in a way I can't explain which brings me to the issue of the two pivot tremolo system on the new Strats. I suspect that this system robs the guitar of tone somehow and have read where others agree.
I have recently replaced the original 90s pickups with a set of vintage 57 reissue pickups and the difference is shocking! The 57 pickups sound so much smoother, sweeter, and more Alnico like but they lack the punch of 90s pickups and can sound mushy when the amp is distorting. The 90s pickups are punchy and modern sounding but also sound harsh in comparison to the 57s and respond differently dynamically to picking. I prefer the 57s. I'm still experimenting with other combinations including a 69 reissue pickup in the neck position.
The moral of the story is that even though they look roughly the same American Strats from different eras can sound quite different from one another so shop carefully.

I certainly recommend an American Strat because they are classic but my advice is to shop carefully and really compare the myriad of new and used models available because they definitely do sound different from one another. A novice may not hear the difference but if your ears have developed you can hear the differences easily if you do A/B comparisons. I also feel that new American Stratocasters have become too expensive at near $1,000.00 because they are actually quite simple assemblies once the precision parts are made so I would look for a used guitar.
MGR/Luke Ipsen02/12/2007

MGR/Luke Ipsen's review" Squier Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I've been playing for about a year and have only owned one electric guitar so far and two acoustics. I play rock music and some blues. Playing guitar is awesome, and I try to do so as long as possble every day. I recently joined a band (not for sure a band yet, only two guitarists and one bassist) and the guitars include a squier, which is mine, and a silvertone sfb1. I'd say the silvertone might be a little better than the squier, but i've barely played the silvertone.

I bought the squier off of ebay for 150 bucks. This was a good price for what I got. I bought it since it was red and because it was a strat. I used to like strats a lot, but now i'm leaning towards les pauls.

I like the fact that in a year i've only broken one string on it, and that was out of frustration. I was trying to pick along with thundserstruck but ended up bending the string like crazy, which snapped the string. The tremello is great. I can put the toggle switch up all the way and make it sound like a les paul, or put it down and have it sound like a distorted metallica guitar. The original pickups sound awesome, and it stays in tune a long time.

The thing I don't like about it is the frets. You can't put the strings as close as you'd like to them without buzzing out, and it's not totally surfaced. I think it has a rosewood fretboard, which i wouldn't recommend to guitar buyers. Buy something a little more sturdy. And make sure you spend good money on good guitar strings. I replaced the B string and the one I bought sucks.

It has double cutaway and a white pickguard mounted to the guitar. The sound is great. It also has two tone knobs and one volume. Beside these is a four way toggle switch. The frets aren't too good though, which knocks it down in quality.

Buy this guitar if you like strats, but if you don't i'd recommend the washburn wi14 for beginners. They both cost about the same, so there you go. If you want to go fast with your fingers the washburn would be the way to go.

MGR/CE4911/28/2004

MGR/CE49's review" Squier Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
Bought this guitar with a Squier SP-10 amp.
It included a strap, lead, plectrum, tuner and tuition material. Cost me £150.

The guitar itself isn't bad for the price and is perfect for a beginner.

Tone knobs don't do too much to the sound. The amp is hurrendous! Turn it on to distortion and you get a growl when you pluck more than one string at a time. It plays sweet chold o' mine quite welll though.

The knobs on the guitar feel like they're gonna fall off. The amp is very poorly constructed.

A great guitar for beginners but after a couple of months when you're sure you wanna carry on with guitar-GET A NEW AMP! The guitar will last you a last you a little longer.

MGR/Matt Johnston10/08/2004

MGR/Matt Johnston's review" Memphis Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I stole this guitar from a friend, well, i didn't really steal it and he wasn't really my friend.

This guitar is good to practice on. It doesn't sound great, and it doesn't always sound but it still works.

It is a cheaply made guitar.

Cheap components, durable body, and not too bad looking.

A good beginners guitar, but not for long.

MGR/Sparky10/07/2004

MGR/Sparky's review" Fender Standard Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I didn't buy it. I'm just borrowing it indefinitely. But it costs $349.

It's a great all-around guitar. It plays anything you want from low-pitch rock to high Van Halen solos. It screams through with roughness when you want it to and smooths things out when you want it to. It has a 5-way switcher that helps with this feature. The neck is great. It slides like greased lightning, and has 21 frets.

Only that it doesn't quite have a deep, dark sound some metal heads want, because it only has single-coil pickups.

It has double-cutaway body, bolt-on neck, the works.

Over-all, this is a fantastic guitar. I would highly recommend it to any rocker out there, especially if you're into punk or even up to P.O.D. Just not death metal.

MGR/Anonymous09/25/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review" Squier Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I got this as part of a kit for my fourteenth birthday. I got the Strat, picks, tuner (which sucks), and a 10-watt Fender amp all for $200 (haven't heard much of a better deal, though). Keep in mind this was my first guitar

it has a nice finish and the headboard is nicely shaped. it came in perfect condition and looked like heaven.

It needs tuned after 15 minutes of playing. the frets fuzz from time to time, and the tuner heads constantly buzz when i play (this is after 10 months of owning the guitar). The pickup switch is placed so that i keep hitting it as i play (yes, I'm a noob). From fret to fret this guitar doesn't hold a solid tune. It scratches easily and the amp cord doesn't connect well.

Everything was put together well, but things begin to buzz over time

This thing is meant to get you on your feet, but won't get your feet off the ground. It's holding me back, I'm looking at a les paul. The amp that came with this set also sucked.

MGR/squierguy08/29/2004

MGR/squierguy's review" Squier Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I ordered this guitar from sweetwater music online (very good company, free shipping on all) and i paid $199.

great cherry sunburst, comfortable strat shape, looks good, sounds ok and is good for a beginner

neck is rough in some places, goes out of tune when tremolo bar is used. pickups are not the best but ok.

overall good, solid construction but not well finishes(neck that is), feels like it was just stamped out of a machine, not really fine tuned.

great guitar for a beginner. it is worth what you pay for it. but here is my case i have been playing for about 8 months i had an ibanez broke it, bought this squier 1 month ago, it is ok but i feel that i am already to a point where i need a better guitar so now i have a fender standard mexican strat in the mail and i am going to have to sell this squier to pay for some of it. big hassle. i would just skip the first step and save a little more money and get the mexican or american strat, but finally if you can't afford to do that buy this one good overall beginner guitat.

MGR/Anonymous07/22/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review" Fender Standard Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I acquired this unit at my local garbage dump.

I liked the fact its made out of wood and combusts quite easly.

Nothing not to like. It served its purpose perfictly.

Only took me one swing to ruin entirely, so id say it was built for smashing.

This is THE guitar to get if you need to destroy a guitar on stage.

MGR/Invisible_ICE06/21/2004

MGR/Invisible_ICE's review" Squier Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I got my Squire at a huge 1999 end of the year sale at Musicians Outlet in Palm Desert, California. I paid $170.00 and got the black Squire, 2 sets of Jim Dunlop picks, a Peavey Blazer 158 amp, strings, strap, stand, 15ft cable, Seiko digital automatic/manual tuner, and a mini cigarette box amp. And I thought,"how could this get any better?"

This is my first guitar... but i've played others. And I don't feel that everyone should be so negative about this guitar. It has great sound with a high end amp, and I have never had anything break or become loose ever since I bought it in 1999. I have never had any problems tunning... oh no 1 minute out of my busy day. And people say it has its "Limits" but my uncle can play any Santana song of your choice on my guitar, and it still sounds live in concert.

One thing I will say I don't like... is the fact that it seems to hypnotize people to walk over, pick it up off my stand, and accidentally drop it.

But even though my guitar has come in contact with dumb people it still doesnt have any dents, dimples, divots, or dings. It is a very sturdy long-lasting guitar. Perfect for those clumsy beginers.

It is a great value even if it isn't on sale. And the only "Limits" you will ever encounter are your own. Also never forget to: Play because you love it, not because you can.

MGR/Thomas r.06/10/2004

MGR/Thomas r.'s review" Fender Strat"

Fender American Standard Stratocaster [1986-2000]
I got this fender in Jackson,ms. I got it in a package with the amp and everything (it is my first guitar) for about $300 so alone it would be like $130.

It has a good echo (good and bad). The whammy bar is nice. It does not get untuned so easily.

if you scratch it, it'll show up on the white part.

it can be scratched quite easily. but it not too heavy.

it is a good beginner guitar. and it is nicely built. so finally i say it is good.