Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
  • Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal

Average Score:4.5( 4.5/5 based on 59 reviews )
 36 reviews61 %
 19 reviews32 %
 3 reviews5 %
 1 user review2 %
King Loudness12/29/2011

King Loudness's review"Reissue of the original"

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
The VOX V847 wah pedal is a modern day take on their original wah pedal. VOX was the original company to release the wah pedal in 1967 and this one is quite similar to the original Clyde McCoy branded model from the summer of love. It has very typical wah construction. The pedal has just simple input/output jacks and the main on/off switch to toggle the pedal's function. It's very simple to operate, much like the typical Crybaby pedals. The tones of the Vox are a bit more vintage in nature which makes it an ideal candidate for someone looking for a more retro voicing in their wah pedal.

Setting up this pedal is really quite easy. The wah pedal in general is quite easy to set up and this one is no exception. It has a wonderfully simple layout consisting of... a switch to turn it on! It's that simple really! It's got a nice vintage sounding sweep to it that works very well with clean or distorted tone alike. It might not have the punch of more modern sounding wahs, but it has a certain clarity to it that works really well overall. It's almost like having a treble booster on at times. It's not as bassy as the Crybaby, but focuses more on the high end tones I find.

The tones out of the VOX V847 are very cool and retro sounding to me. Using this pedal with a good punchy clean sound is great for funk or other cool clean tones with a classic pulsating frequency adjustment. The drive tones are quite good too, great for using on leads to add a nice little treble boost to the tone or to sweep between bass and treble. The only con I would really say to the sound is that it might be a little lacking in the low end for some players who are used to a more modern tone.

All in all I think the VOX V847 wah is a great interpretation of the original classic wah pedal. It has durable construction, a classic look, it's easy to use, and the tones are straight out of 1967. These don't cost a whole lot new, so if you're looking for a pedal that's a bit more vintage and brighter sounding than a Crybaby, or just want something a bit different, check this one out.
Fireguy840212/23/2011

Fireguy8402's review"Classic Wah"

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
The V847 by VOX is your standard wah pedal, very similar to the Crybaby. It has a metal housing with a heavy duty bypass switch mounted under the metal foot rocker board, four rubber feet screwed to the bottom, an input for your instrument and an output to go to your amplifier. There are no high tech optical switches, Q knobs, or modes to fool with or go bad on you.

This wah pedal can sound good just about anywhere in the signal chain, but most people like to put it first in line after their guitar. I like that they use the same style of enclosure as the Crybaby, I like the sounds of some other wahs from Ibanez and Morley, but having to switch the pedal on and then use it takes too long for me. I need a pedal with the bypass under the treadle like this one. Some versions of this pedal have different tweaks for different mods and sweeps, but I find the original version to be more than enough to achieve those classic wah tones. The chrome on the top is just sexy. My main problem with this pedal is that they didn’t include a jack for external power. Why they did this I have no idea, but it turns a lot of people away from this otherwise great pedal. Most people opt for a power supply instead of battery power these days.

The Vox wah has a distinct sound. The range of this model is fairly wide and you are able to get abrupt quacks or slow filter sweeps depending on how you use the foot pedal. This pedal has a little more meat and throaty sound than a regular standard Crybaby does. This pedal doesn’t have any other modes or settings to tweak, so what you get is what you get. It is a very well voiced wah though, and can cut through a mix without being to whiney sounding like some Crybabies I’ve tried in the past.

The VOX V847 is a nice sounding basic wah wah pedal. I do feel it beats out the standard Crybaby just because it has a little more throaty sound in the mids and less of a tiny thin sound to the high end. It does steal a little bit of high end when put into your signal path, but nothing that can’t be corrected by your amplifier. The VOX, much like the Crybaby, is a staple in rock and roll guitar. Honestly I don’t think you could go wrong with either of these pedals. The one thing I didn’t like about this wah was the problem of not having an input for an external power supply, but VOX remedied this with production of the V847-A. I believe there were a couple other small changes to the circuit and the pot, but if it sounds close to the original reissue with a power adapter, it should be a winner too.
yoTrakkz11/29/2011

yoTrakkz's review"classic wah pedal"

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
This is a standard wah pedal, made by Vox. It can't be edited using a computer, and it's not MIDI-ready. It's an analog pedal and it's not rackable.

The cool thing about this, unlike some good wahs, is that you don't have to take off the back to put the batteries in, and there's also an adapter feature. It's not every day you see that, and it saves a lot of time. It's the basic wah pedal, so it's easy enough to manage, just rock the pedal back and forth and click to bypass. The manual explains it all.

This is an interesting wah pedal, not the most obvious or generic-sounding one I've ever heard. In fact, one of the noticeable things about it is that it manages to make everything pretty clear without getting too bright. This is an issue for me with wah pedals, as I either find them too muddy or too bright. Although this might not be quite bright enough for me, it's refreshing to not pierce your eardrums every time you lean too far on a wah. A great thing is that when you bring it down really far, and filter out all the higher frequencies, you aren't muddying up the signal to no end. I can't always say that about my Vox wah, even though I love that thing. It's not the most transparent wah out there, but it's not too bad. I like it with my clean Strat sounds and the dirty ones, and really think the Les Paul with the gain cranked is a great sound.

This is a great wah pedal. Wahs seem to be either good or bad, and this one's definitely good. I think it's not too expensive ($150 or so), so the value is overall pretty good. The fact that you don't have to fiddle in the back means I probably won't be breaking anything anytime soon, which is also a plus. I would highly recommend this one for functionality and reliability.
denied05/19/2011

denied's review"Not a bad first wah, there are better. "

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
- Reissue of original vox wah

- Buffered bypass

- Rubber grip surface, chrome sides

- Sturdy enclosure

- Powered by 9v batter - No adapter jack (about 100 hours of continuous use depending on batter)

- Comes with vinyl carrying case

- Side mounted jacks

As with most wah pedals, very simple to use. Step toe down to engage, do the same to bypass. It ain't rocket science. No knobs or switches to adjust.

That said, there are a few issues worth noting.

The pot can eventually wear out, and get scratchy, and may need to be replaced. I've noticed they aren't the highest quality components.

The rubber feet at the base of the pedal make it difficult to attach to a pedalboard. The screws are a little too long to just remove the feet.

The fact that it can't be adapter powered is another inconvenience. You can get a jack that will switch 9v battery to standard adapter input, and then run it out of the pedal.

The rubber pads that prevent the top of the enclosure from clicking against the bottom come off pretty easily.

Really not the best sounding wah out there. Definitely useless with higher gain setups, just sounds really thin and fizzy. If you control the sweep really closely, and keep it relatively low in the heel position, it can sound alright for somethings. I found that in the toe down position it was stupidly shrill and piercing, pretty much useless.

The buffered bypass is also pretty junky. I'm all for a good buffer, but this one just sucks all the high end out of your signal. To be fair, that buffer was an integral part of many guitarist's sound at one point, but if you're looking for something to preserve your beautifully perfected tone, this is not it.

It is "Alright." Really nothing to write home about, and definitely not the best option out there. The questionable build quality, piercing highs, and shoddy buffer make for a very mediocre pedal. You would be better off with a modified crybaby. There aren't quite as many mods available for the V847, but the ones out there are definitely worthwhile. Stock, its just not that great. The older Budda Budwahs also seem to be going for a little less used, and sound incredible.

I'd pass on this one.
moosers10/16/2009

moosers's review

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
The Vox V847 Wah Wah has both a reissue and a vintage version, the former of which is the one that I have used.  Either way, this is an analog wah wah pedal that has 1/4 inch connections.  It can be powered by 9 volt battery and isn't rack mountable.

Using the Vox V847 Wah Wah is just as easy as using any other wah wah pedal.  It has simple connections and the effect can be turned on or off by pressing down on the top of the foot pedal as there is a button below that.  There isn't much more to this pedal and those who have used any sort of wah wah pedal in the past won't have trouble with this pedal.  A manual isn't necessary to use this, although I have never seen the manual.

The Vox V847 Wah Wah reissue is one of the better vintage sounding wah wah pedals that I have used.  It isn't the cleanest wah, but where it lacks that certain clarity it makes up for in its grittiness and depth.  It definitely has a warm and round tone, round being one of the best terms to describe the sound that I can think of.  I have used the pedal for recording with a Fender Strat and a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb and the results are always outstanding.  While I can assume that the original V847 is better sounding than the reissue, the reissue sounds pretty great on its own.

I've been using the Vox V847 Wah Wah for about two years for recording and it is definitely a great option for getting wah sounds.  It has a warmer and rounder sound than that of modern day Crybaby wah pedals and I love having both around for different situations to get different sounds.  The price of this pedal isn't all that expensive and is about right for a wah of this caliber.  If you are looking for a really warm sounding wah wah pedal, the Vox V847 Wah Wah is a great choice.
mooseherman04/15/2009

mooseherman's review

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
This is a pretty standard wah pedal, but it sounds pretty great. There's just the wah and a bypass which you activate by pressing the pedal down until it clicks. It's an old-school style pedal and it still works great. Nothing but an input and output, no midi or audio connections, but that's not really the point anyway.

The setup is pretty straightforward. The only thing that's somewhat annoying is replacing the battery. To do this, you have to remove the rubber feet with a screwdriver and take the bottom panel off. That's not too bad though. Everything else is just a matter of plugging it in. There isn't much need for a manual. Make sure the wheels stay lubricated or else you'll have a hard time rocking it back and forth. This is generally not a problem for most people, though.

I particularly like the sound of this pedal. It's pretty bright, and without a compressor or some good EQ'ing it can be a little much when using distortion, but otherwise it sounds awesome. I think it sounds less cliche than the Crybaby, and other, later models tend to be cheap imitations with not as much clarity. Some models tend to overemphasize the wah by making the difference in the envelope enormous, creating a ridiculously obvious wah sound. This tends to ruin some of the clarity of the guitar you're playing. The Vox Wah wisely avoids this by making the shift less drastic and giving it a sound that focuses more on what you're playing than what your foot is doing.

I've had my pedal for about 8 years. I broke it once but I think that was due to negligence more than anything (I was young). I like the fact that it's simple and easy to use, and that it wasn't too expensive. It sounds awesome and it definitely puts most other pedals to shame with its tone and simplicity. The biggest complaint I have is honestly changing the battery, which is really just nitpicking. While there are other wah pedals out there that might be better geared for other people (namely guys who want a really obvious sound), I couldn't imagine playing anything other than this. I think Vox definitely nailed it with this one.
phraseland12/05/2008

phraseland's review

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
This is a classic. True analog wah-wah sound with 'True Bypass' and a 'built-to-last' casing. These units have been around for years and are in my opinion still the best of their kind. The prices have come down because Vox (now part of Korg) is producing them in China now. Although I am usually picky about these things I believe it should be possible to produce an electronic device like this in the Far East without having to compromise on construction. The pedal I recenlty bought was of this make and I didn't feel like it sounded any different.

The wah-wah comes with a vintage stlye bag (a little cheap - but also cute) and of course the top is held in gorgeous chrome with a rubber layer to prevent the foot from slipping.
Inputs and outputs are basic jack and you can power the unit either with a 9v battery (you have to unplug the device in order to prevent the battery from running dry) or an external power supply.

Wah-wah pedals are quite simple to set up. For those who haven't owned one just make sure to use it in the correct position. To me it sounds best after my two distortion pedals and all the other modulation effects - but before the reverb. It's a matter of taste if you want the delay before or after - just try out what you like. Remember that using the wah-wah after distortion gives you that huge sound you are looking for - putting it before often washes out the effect.

The VOX Pedal is quite warm sounding and you have a lot of control over the filter. The range is not as dramatic as it would be in a Morley Pedal and the Dunlop Original has more bite. I play with a Stratocaster and a Fender Twin '71 most of the time and bite is not the issue here...so to me most wah-wah pedals just sound too edgy. People should enjoy you kicking in the pedal not loath it.

If you are into modern sounds and have an army of lights flickering in your rack when you start shredding then this might not be the right choice. For me I like the fact that I don't have to worry about finding thousands of sounds - I just get the one I was looking for and I can use it in almost any context.

I owned a Vox wah-wah many years ago and bought this new one last year. It is rock solid and to me there is just no comparison. The on/off switch is a lot smoother than on Dunlop pedals and I have a feeling that the pedal will not start squealing all of a sudden (this happened to me with my last cry-baby during recording). The price drop last year is icing on the cake - vintage freaks will probably go out of their way to get a model made in the UK...but to me they sound just the same.
MGR/SlasHerS03/28/2004

MGR/SlasHerS's review"Vox V847 Wah Wah"

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
I first bought a V-amp multipeddal cuz I wanted a cheap Wah-Wah, But I dident like the sound on the V-amp, So I bought what I thougt was a better Wah-wah, Then I bought this one, It was abit better, but now I just think it was the same sound..
Can't remeber how mutch I payed, Accutaly a quite lot..

I like the sound, BUT notice ; I diden't in the start, This peddal might take you a while if you walk around thinking "oh man I want that sound, hmm if I buy a V847 wah wah then it will sort the problem right"?
WRONG! I wanted to song from Gnr - Mr.Brownstone (Solo) I bought this one and though i would get the sound, Well I was REALLY disapointed!

As mentioned, It might be alitte hartbreaker, Cuz it only makes on type of sound, And MOST likely it ain't the sound you have heard from a song.. I have now tested a hell alot of gear, Included Boss GT6, And i must say The gt 6 wah wah is better, WAY better, And ALMOST as heavy :P

One more thing, This don't happend to many other i think, But mine is a litte silly somtimes.. Don't know why..

You know that German tank.. Oh what's it name?? Tiger tank? Well the V847 Wah Wah is MORE SOLID, IT's FASTER, DELIVERS FASTER! I TREW this thing from one wall to another, jumped on it with my cowboys boots, i almost one times burned it, The only problem was the damn thing had WRONG battery , some idiot thought it would be fun, He's face WAS funny after i got to him! WEll egnough, This shit is SOLID, Belive me, GREAT FOR WAR , GREAT!

Be carefull when buying it, Don't say to the retailer , "I buy this one" Try it out, Compare , There is 1000th others wah wah's on the market, You might have to go up in price abit..

Bottom line : OK for some use, Dipends on your playing, AND this goes BEST with Fender guitars, I myself have a Gibson Les Paul, and the sound IS better on fender and or fender amp.s, Notice you are gonna burn on the wah wah, Somtime it will hit you that, OMFG is this a pieace of junk, 2 years later it become your personal buddy.. That's my Review, This has also been seen by my father, Who works in a guitar store, My brother is 35 and played since 13, Even the retailer took a look, And agreed in the most that writen here, Hope this helps!

MGR/Anonymous03/09/2003

MGR/Anonymous's review"Vox Classic Wah Pedal"

hermes music, sa, tx 100 bucks

great sound... alota fun to play with

havent found anything i dont like about it yet

great, metal/plastic

sounds great on my gibson, and ibanez.. i run it through the zoom 505 II

MGR/Nick C.01/03/2003

MGR/Nick C.'s review"Vox V847"

Vox V847 Wah-Wah Pedal
I got together $100 and went to my local Guitar Center where I bought it for that much plus a little tax.

This pedal is a solid wah pedal with a tone you can't get from those other pedals that allow you to turn the little knobs and tweak your settings. After comparing to other wah pedals, even the Clyde McCoy Vox wah, it still had the best tone without having any fancy additions. Some may complain about how it doesn't have true bypass, but when you turn it off the sound is only a little bit more trebly than if you don't plug it in at all. The cool thing about this is that you have to turn your treble down anyways, because if you don't, your wah will be too bright. So in the long run, everything balances out.

The definite worst thing about this pedal is the fact that it doesn't have a 9-volt adapter ability. I've worked around this problem, because I have a pedal board that has an adapter for a 9v battery, and I can just take that into the pedal by leaving a little space open on the bottom plate. For everyone who doesn't have such a convenient option, I suggest you look around for an adapter like mine (I haven't made an effort to find one, but there's bound to be one somewhere) or to just bite the bullet and use batteries... this pedal is definitely worth it.

This pedal is tough and it's made of metal and everything... it won't break, and I haven't heard of anyone having such a problem as well.

This wah rules, go out and buy it.