All user reviews for the Audio-Technica AT2020

Average Score:4.5( 4.5/5 based on 32 reviews )
 17 reviews53 %
 11 reviews34 %
 1 user review3 %
 1 user review3 %
View price information
Lf07/23/2013

Lf's review

Audio-Technica AT2020
Cardioid, large-diaphragm condenser mic.

I've been using it for four years. I use it in stereo with a Shure KSM137. To be honest, the value for money of the AT2020 is clearly better than that of the Shure, even if the Shure sounds better (obviously). The AT2020 can handle SPL better than the Shure.
To cut it short: The AT2020 is an excellent mic considering its price. I recommend it to anyone that wants to use it in a home studio, for example. Very versatile to record acoustic instruments (like guitar) or as ambient mic for small combos.
killahbzz04/29/2013

killahbzz's review"Flat"

Features:

Typical application: proximity micing.
Cardioid polar pattern.
Maximum SPL: 144 dB.
Other Features:
Type: Permanently polarized condenser with fix loaded plate
Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Self-noise: 20 dB
Sensitivity: -37dB (@ 1 Pa)
Signal-to-noise ratio: 74dB (@ 1 Pa)
Dynamic range: 124 dB (@ 1 kHz)
Impedance: 100Ω
XLR male connector
Accessories included:
Threaded stand clamp
5/8'' - 3/8'' thread adapter

Used primarily to record ambiance and sometimes vocals (rap)

How long have you been using it?
I've had it for seven months but, to be honest, I don't use it much. I prefer my prodipe ST1 lanen, which has a better definition in the high end

Did you try any of other models before buying this one?
Behringer C1, Prodipe ST1 lanen, Tbone SC600.

Which feature do you like the most / the least?
Compared to other mics, it's awesome, but for the time being I prefer to work with my prodipe, which is less flat and corresponds better to the sound I'm looking for. The biggest criticism I can make is that it lacks a 100hz low-pass filter, or even a pad (-dB), but that's something you can adjust on the soundcard or preamp or even during mixdown.
But hey, it sounds fine.

How would you rate its value for money?
It isn't that expensive for an AudioTechnica. It's perfect if you are looking for a flat sound you can later process.

Based on your experience, would you buy this product again? ...
Yes, but not as a main mic, but rather as a backup mic.
JimboSpins01/22/2013

JimboSpins's review"Good sound and a low price"

Audio-Technica AT2020
The AT2020 by Audio technical is a very popular microphone now mainly because of the quality you will get for the price. That was the sole reason that I purchased it, I have heard it many times before I got it and read some really good reviews on it so I gave it a shot. I really like the way it sounded on my vocals and on some acoustic guitar recordings. The only issue was some voice types didn’t sound too well with it. There is another singer that I work closely with and he used it, it did not sound good on his voice so we didn’t even bother with EQ’ing or anything we just used a different microphone. I was not that disappointed at that because of the price. For this price, you cannot expect it to sound great with every voice and instrument.

This microphone is perfect for someone who records on the go or mainly from home. It works great in open spaces and does a good job of not picking up background noise when recording. I have used it for some small demo work in public places if I need to record a quick idea or even a voice over. It sounds good no matter where you use it at. Sometimes it does record a lot of “air” though; it will feel like there is a lot of space around your recording which I didn’t like too much. That had nothing to do with the background noise though.
This microphone comes with a cardioid pick up pattern so that is the reason for the minimal background noises. I was surprise that the AT2020 came with a stand too, it has a pivoting stand so you can move the mic around to the way you want it. But bottom line is, this microphone is not for a seasoned veteran when it comes to recording. It is for the small bedroom musician.
mitchgeist11/13/2012

mitchgeist's review"ATT220 GETS THE JOB DONE"

Audio-Technica AT2020
If you are even involved in a deathmatch on an alien world, and you have to choose just one microphone with which to bludgeon an alien creature into a green paste; the AT2020 is the one you should choose. It's heavy, it's quite sturdy, and it'll only cost you around a hundo to replace it - so it doesn't raise your blood pressure every time it comes out of the case. Build quality aside, if you are reading this you're probably wondering if the mic is any good. This is an excellent recording microphone, but it's not going to work as well for live performances. Get yourself a Shure SM58 for that. The mic does a good job of rejecting sounds coming from behind the mic - a good feature when you're trying to bring in as little extraneous noise as possible.

This is a great sounding entry level mic. To get the most out of this mic, you need to turn up the pre on your channel strip until you can hear yourself breathing in the cans, and step back so you are between 1 and 2 feet away from the mic. you have to keep a distance. use a pop filter if it helps you to remember. If you are right on top of the mic, even at lower gain levels, you will experience problems. This mic will pick up subtle nuances that you didn't even realize were present in the performance. It will also make you keenly aware of noise in the environment.
vsavagellc10/10/2012

vsavagellc's review"The BEST USB MIC AT THE MOMENT"

Audio-Technica AT2020
Let me start off by saying this is a very good condenser mic. It's affordable and the sound it reproduces is nothing short of amazing, especially since most USB mics on the market are known for having a bad sound.

This mic only comes in 1 color (black) which I don't have a problem with. It would be nice to see in a few other colors such as silver and maybe red or even a chrome mesh.

The AT2020 comes with a USB cable as well as a small table top mic stand. It would be nice if it came with a wind screen, but for the price you can't expect many bells and whistles.

What I like most about this usb mic is that it reproduce accurately which is something I can't say for other usb mics out there. What I don't like is fact you can't do any freq cuts on the mic nor does it have any pattern selections but again it's a simple $100.00 Cardioid mic. It not many bells and whistles (I'm spoiled and picky).

I personally think the mic is well worth the $100 it's priced at. I'd charge a little more for it, somewhere between $100-150 would sufficient in my mind.

I've tried other usb mics before but was never impressed with the audio quality. When I stumbled upon the audio technica I had to get it, the company is known for creating quality products -So this was a no brainer for me.

If I had to make the choice again I'd strongly pick this mic over many others (including some powered condenser mics).

Few tips – This mic is sensitive and will pick up your computer noise, so it best to use it in an isolated recording area. If you have a pop filter use it, if you don't get one they are very cheap these days.

I've found this mic to perform well when recording the following

Male/female vocals
Acoustic Guitar
Drum Sets
Stringed instruments
Wind Instruments

It's a very versatile mic
theaudioandvideoguy06/24/2012

theaudioandvideoguy's review"small room mic"

Audio-Technica AT2020
The AT2020 is the kind of a mic that you would want to have if you are mainly recording from home. Because its very affordable and it will get the job done and decent. It will not give you great quality from home and you cant expect to get great quality unless you are willing to spend great money which most people if they are recording from home don’t have. One great thing about it is that if you use it in a small space it will perform to the best of its ability and it does a great job of not picking up a lot of surrounding or background noise that’s unwanted inyour music.

The mic is very well built and can take a few drops, believe me because I have dropped it several times and nothing has happened to it this far. When purchasing this mic they tell you it can be used for vocals or for instruments but to me just leave the instruments out for now. If you have to record with instruments using this mic then that’s fine but if you can afford to get a different mic for your instruments do that. Because the AT2020’s best perfomance comes from vocals and not instrument recording.

You will love the frequency respons of this mic, it is very dynamic and has the ability to take a wide range. it’s a mic that you will probably used a lot from home and it will last you a very very long time and you wont have to upgrade unless you want better quality but the AT2020 will suit you just right for now. Do not try to use this mic in a large space or a large studio. It just doesn’t perform as well in that situation. Try to keep it in a 1010 room or smaller in your home. Avoid bigger rooms (living rooms etc..)
JeffTadashi05/14/2012

JeffTadashi's review"A versatile condenser mic!"

Audio-Technica AT2020
The Audio Technica AT 2020 is a cardioid pattern condenser microphone, that is fairly affordable and very versatile. I've used it for mic'ing guitar amps, acoustic guitar, and vocals, and it has excelled in all of those applications. It is very solid and rugged, and comes with it's own mounting piece, which makes it easy to screw on an off the mic stand. It also fits standard mic shock mounts, although it does not ship with one. The cardioid pattern (in which the back of the mic rejects the most sound) makes it the most useful for the most applications; it can be directed at a specific sound source, but it can also record a large room, large range environment.

I find that condenser mics in general excel in recording, but are too sensitive for live purposes, and this mic is no exception. No way could I use this instead of my Shure SM58 for live vocals.

The sound quality is very transparent and clear. On vocals, there are simply no artifacts, as the only processing I usually do is roll off some lows and add compression. Much better than my ribbon mic, which tends to be too dark for vocals. The highs on the AT 2020 are not harsh at all, as they sound very natural.

The AT 2020 does not work too well on extremely loud sources, such as bass guitar speakers or cranked guitar amps. I was not able to set the gain low enough in some of these cases, and we had to turn the volume down on the amplifiers.

Overall, this is a great general purpose, cardioid condenser microphone that any starting musician should consider. Very durable, very transparent sound, from a reputable microphone company. This mic has lasted me several years, and I never had the need to replace it. You won't be disappointed!
bolenti04/30/2012

bolenti's review"Handles SPL really good"

Nothing to add here.

I've used it for more than a year. It's a mic that can handle SPL pretty good and has a rather flat response. I find it a bit cold and very sibilant on vocals. However, it does a good job on a guitar amp at moderate volumes.
Unlike another user here, for what I do (recording vocals and acoustic guitar), I find it less interesting than a SC400.
Rémy BDR10/02/2011

Rémy BDR's review"Excellent for the price"

Condenser mic.
A mic for all occasions, as long as you have a good preamp behind it. Very (or even too) clean sound, so pay attention to sibilants and HF, which can be hard to get rid of during mixdown. But let's be clear, for $120 you really get your money's worth. It's very simple: To have something really better you have to spend three times as much. It lacks a low-cut and a pad, but if you have a good preamp or mixer, you already have everything you need, so such features are useless for someone who has outboard gear. It has to do with the price, I think, because the manufacturer launched the same mic with filter and pad with a higher price tag.

I've used it for about a year in my home studio and I'm satisfied with it. Yes, I compared ii to many others, but it was the flattest and most versatile in its price range. You really have to go to the next price range to notice a difference that justifies the investment. Granted, it's certainly not a Neumann!

Continuation:
I used it this week in post-production to record a Japanese female voice. It was perfect. The production thought it was a high-end mic. Almost no background noise and a nice precision in the high frequencies to give presence to the voice off. I can confirm this mic can even be used for broadcast without the slightest problem.
r2-d409/03/2011

r2-d4's review"A Good Product"

Audio-Technica AT2020
I only regret the lack of a high-pass or low-cut.

After comparing it to a higher-end tube apex, this mic really surprised me
It's a truly ideal mic for rap/rnb and speech recordings because it captures well the high frequency range. In comparison, the apex captures more the mids. I really like it to highlight the pronunciation of a text, for the clarity of the words.
On the other hand, I use it sparingly on pop vocals given its excess of high frequencies.

It's an excellent mic, though.