Akai MPC4000

MPC4000, Sampling Sequencer from Akai in the MPC series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Akai MPC4000

Average Score:4.5( 4.5/5 based on 21 reviews )
 14 reviews67 %
 5 reviews24 %
 1 user review5 %
 1 user review5 %
mitchgeist10/23/2012

mitchgeist's review"MPC 4000 is a MONSTER"

Akai MPC4000
The MPC 4000 was released in 2002 by Akai and was intended to be the leader of the hardware samplers. Its notable features are:

16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads
2 MIDI inputs, 4 MIDI outputs
96 kHz 24bit sampling
16 MB sampling memory, upgradeable to 512 MB
IDE bays for installation of internal hard disk drive and CD-ROM drive.
Optional plug-in boards: Effects board, ADAT board, S/P-DIF & wordclock board, 8 analogue outputs board
SCSI interface

The MPC 4000 is similiar to most of the other MPC's in the way that it is sequenced. A manual comes with the MPC 4000 but in my opinion, it is the type of tool that should be explored on its own. Everything is very straight forward on the 4000, and it boots up quickly everytime. One of my favorite features of the MPC 4000 is how fast you can load, save, discard, truncate, and manipulate samples of any kind.

The MPC 4000 doesn't come with any stock samples because it is a sampler. And unlike other MPC's, this is a 24-bit machine so you aren't going to get that gritty, lofi, 12-bit sound of older samplers. This MPC prides itself on sound quality and it does have a great sound! It is still punchy, but clarity always stays in the sounds.

The effects are fairly usable. It comes with bread-and-butter effects such as EQ, Compression, Filters, Gate, and other basic effects. The pads are very sturdy too and it feels great playing drums out on them.

My overall opinion is that the MPC 4000 is the best of all the MPC's. It is stable, easy to use, and provides the most features of any MPC besides the 5000. I have tried multiple MPC's but this one was my favorite for these reasons. I have let go of my MPC 4000 and bought a Maschine, but there are lots of days I wish I had never made that move!

I overall give the 4000 a 9/10 stars.
theaudioandvideoguy03/19/2012

theaudioandvideoguy's review"Expensive!"

Akai MPC4000
The MPC 4000 is one of the most advanced MPC on the market that AKAI makes. The differences between this unit and some of the other units by Akai (1000, 2000,) is that it has a much nicer feel to it. The pads especially have a much softer feel to them. It just feels like they are made out of better material. The MPC 4000’s design kind of stepped out of the box from the ordinary MPC line. Its def. a different color than the other MPC’s. It also has a built in synth module so you can start to work on creating some synth lines or base lines right on the machine and have no need for another unit to create those.

The manual is key to understanding this unit, its hard for anyone jus to sit down and understand it. Even if you are coming from other MPC models. This one is tough, they put all the bells and whistles into the MPC 4000.

The sounds on the MPC 4000 arent much different than the most of the stock sounds that come on all of the mpc models. You will need to change you kits to your own once you purchase the MPC 4000! As far as the built in synth module. I am not a fan of it, it really doesn’t do that much for me. I would rather just use my Phantom for synths and baselines. Akai tried to create a unit that could do a little bit of everything . But I feel like they fell short because unless you are into sound creation you wont want to go through the process of creating these sounds. Most of us like using keyboard presets and tweaking them to our liking. Akai really doesn’t give you many presets (if any) to work with.

Overall, it’s a very powerful unit. All of the MPC’s are! But this on is very expensive, you can a good keyboard workstation that you can sample on and do almost everything the MPC 4000 can. But die hard MPC users love the MPC and wouldn’t trade it for anything. But in my opinion you can go with the cheaper MPC models and get a keyboard or rack for under the price of this 1 unit. Its worth it if you have all the money sitting around, but you can get way more for your money!
ericthegreat11/27/2011

ericthegreat's review"I love the mpc"

Akai MPC4000
The MPC 4000 is a great machine, Akai has provided us with the MPC line for many years and I don’t feel like it will ever stop no matter how digital the music industry gets. The only thing I hated was that the manual made you dumb! After the first few pages after the contents, it seemed impossible to put what it said into action. Akai over complicated the manual! I love my mpc, but they may as well sell you a helmet or first class tickets on a short bus with this manual!

The MPC continues in the tradition of being easy to use once you learn the machine and its method of speak. I had a history with the 2000XL so I sequenced almost right out of the box. Despite having several sequences I am still learning to maximize all of the machines applications. The manual is straight forward. I've had my unit since May '02 and, honestly I haven't read the whole thing--every time I refer to it I have no further issues and the manual ends back up on the shelf.

The sound quality is clear and honest--what you put in is what you get out(unless you start throwing sliders, twisting knobs, re sampling, etc. I primarily use this machine for several of the most danceable and club-friendly genres. But I plan on taking advantage of this powerhouse as a multi sampler for the orchestral sounds i need for film scoring. Yes this thing sounds that good. The effects are more than adequate but purists and/or gear heads will always prefer stand alone effects modules to those included in a sampler/synth.

Overall, great machine especially if you are into hip hop you can really bang out your beats with the mpc 4000. Its built to last and looks great as well as sounds amazing. It definitely gives you that gritty 90’s feel of music when you create with it. I recommend getting this and loading up your own drums, stay away from the stock kits.
yoTrakkz09/01/2011

yoTrakkz's review

Akai MPC4000
The Akai MPC 4000 is a powerful sampler, much like all of Akai’s sampling machines they have come out with over the years. If you are into hip hop and rap music, then having an MPC is what you need to get. They are priced high but its well worth the money. The Akia MPC 4000 has a great sample right and still keeps that gritty sound of hip hop that we all love.

The MPC 4000 isnt easy to use when you first start using it, it will look like a space ship if you are new to using the MPC brands. But once you get the hang of it and know where all of the menu’s buttons and how to get your workflow together on it you will be on your way to being a great producers.

Sounds are great, but not the stock sounds that come with the MPC. You will definitely need to load up your own kits, because all of the stock drums are very boring, kind of like when you purchase a software music program and they come with the basic drums and sounds. They aren’t very good so have your own ready to go.

Overall you cant beat going with the MPC, you can have all of your kits loaded onto the memory card and have them load up automatically right away as soon as you turn the mpc on. Downside of the MPC 4000 is that the screen is small. So if you are coming from a software program like cubase or fl studio you are use to editing midi notes on a big screen. You will have to do this on a little screen with this machine, it can be a pain. But you can always sync it up with your software and do it all on the computer anyways!

Akai MPC4000
Haven't played with this machine yet, but if the features do all they say they do, than this is a beast of a machine. I have the Roland MV8000 and the features on this machine are sick. I hoping the features on this MPC4000 are just as tight or tighter because I tell everyone right now. Roland has come up with the answer to all of mpc users problems with this machine. I haven't used the sequencer on it because I build my tracks using the vga monitor so if anyone on this board has both machines like I do let me know which one they feel is the best.(MV8000 is cheaper in price and I have not heard of any defaults like I have on the 4000)

Price paid: $2,700

Don't know yet. Except I played with a friend of mines and it got me fustrated because I banged out beats on the 2000xl without even reading the manual. I'm a little sadden that they changed the way you can just hop on it and make a track, but if it's because of all the new features than it's a learning curve I'll deal with and I may find it to be nothing at all in the future. I say Just Blaze make a track in less than five minutes on Smack DVD, so it may not be hard at all.

I heard a few samples out of this thing from my friends Mpc4000 and they sound clear. If you want grime time samples then sample them grimey.

I love the way its built minus the front look. Sturdy is always a plus in my book. After playing with my friends and the local Guitar Center's Mpc4000, it helped my make my choice on whether or not to buy one. I always felt like my 2000xl would bust wide open because of the cheezy hard plastic/metal frame. This 4000 looks like it can take some punishment. But I wont test it by dropping it or anything. (this thing cost too much for that)

Don't know if I love it yet. Somebody call me so I can get started on this thing and I'll know if I'll love it or not. Right now I love my Roland MV8000 I just got my mpc today and I haven't even opened the box yet. Before I do, I wanna know if anyone can tell me the first thing I should do if I wanna get a sequence going. I come from the mpc2000 and 2000xl days. I played around with a friend of mines mpc4000 and it through me for a big loop. (pun intended)I've read a few reviews on this board and it seems like a few of y'all really know your 4000's. I just wanna make a few sequences to get my juices flowing and then I'll get into the real strong points of the machine.

I feel like Akai makes the best sequencers. I'm old school, but not too old school to know that it never hurts to update your machines. Now if you have some machine and you've mastered it then, keep it. But if you have a machine mastered and they come out with another machine that does the same thing, but gives you more options that you may use and you can afford it, than there's nothing wrong with updating. You gotta know what you want your machines to do before you get them. Either you will do everything the machine is capable of or half of the things. Put your money into what these machines do. Don't by a sampler sequencer if all you wanna do is sequence and vice versa. I say milk these machines for everything because they're not cheap. You have to be a tech head/beat making lover to by this hardware especially with computers costing the same price if not cheaper.

Me, I like sitting there bangin' beats with my fingers instead of tapping with a mouse. But it's nice to have the option to swich if needed. No ratings yet because I haven't used it. If anyone wants to give me tips on the easiest way to get started hit me up at 671-820-3660 I could read the book, but I find it easier to talk to people first and then go back to the book. Plus akai always made things harder than they needed to when reading their manuals. (Roland always had it on point)

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: colmone ( 2-, 2006)

Akai MPC4000
After being an MPC 2000 user for so long, i'm wondering how i ever worked that way. The features on this machine will definitely open any producer's mind to a new way of thinking. It's not like any other MPC and the way that it works clearly proves it. The "AkSys" program that links your computer to your MPC via USB is incredible. This program comes with the 4000 and it opens your MPC's hard drive in a really cool but simple interface... on your computer. You can choose to edit samples with a Sample Editor, create Programs, organize Keygroups and set effects parameters. It's not like the 1000 or the 2500 where your hard drive shows up like a digital camera or smart media card on your desktop... this is immediate interaction with your MPC on your computer. That's just ONE cool feature...

$2,700 USD

As anything that would cost this much, there's definitely a learning curve. But you've got all the forum resources in the world to get you up and running in no time... it's no excuse to not own this. Oh, and you can transfer all of your previous MPC songs and sounds to this machine effortlessly... your hard work will continue and excel to new heights.

Never had to get it repaired, i've added the expansions and extra memory as well. This machine has functioned perfectly ever since i got it last year. It's built like a tank and it's not something you'd wanna lug around with you everywhere. Leave it in your studio and get busy...

Sound quaility is perfect. The machine doesn't color the sound you put into it and using the internal EQ can definitely improve what sound you put out of it.

If something ever happened to my 4000, i'd bust my ass to save the money and buy it again twice. I can't even look at another MPC after using this one. Everytime i sit down in front of it, i feel like all of my years in equipment training are finally being challenged. I come from the days of the Akai s950... seeing the MPC technology come this far is the greatest experience i've felt next to recording good songs. The most experienced 2000/XL user who claims to know everything there is about an MPC, doesn't know anything until they've worked on one of these. People who've made the switch KNOW what i'm talking about. The 2500 is an update, this is an UPGRADE.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Kid Captain Coolout (January 2-, 2005)

Akai MPC4000
I love this machine, the only thing thats missing is the grammy.

$3000.00

"Like a Hummer with 16 rubber pads on the hood and 80 miles to the gallon!" -KCizzle / WizCity Music Group, L.L.C.

This machine is a monster. The only thing I hated was that the manual made you dumb! After the first few pages after the contents, it seemed impossible to put what it said into action. Akai over complicated the manual! I love my mpc, but they may as well sell you a helmet or first class tickets on a short bus with this manual!

WOW, I can't run my company without it...that's love.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: KCizzle ( 9-, 2005)

Akai MPC4000
New Sequence and Step Edit, are the best. edit them exacually like you want to. Missing: Better Midi Out, so you can re-edit Sequences and songs on computer (Cubase)

5490.- CHF

After going through Manual and Refrence Manual it's as easy as driving a car : )

Good Quality, needs alot to get broke

Sound quality is perfect. Sounds better than a lot other hardware drummachines.

I love it, puts my ideas fast into Sequence!!!!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Djflexxer2000 ( 9-, 2005)

Akai MPC4000
This machine has everything I ever needed.

$3,700

It is a little different from my MPC2000, but after going through the learning curve it's a breeze.

Solid as a rock.

The sound quality is great.

I like this machine alot for the way it sequence's

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown ( 6-, 2005)

Akai MPC4000
99% satisfied...only issues is the lethargic attitude that akai is taking to fixing the bugs...the bugs themselves aren't really a big issue with me, however.

Price paid

It's easy to use once you learn how to use it ;) the learning curve is a bit high...even if you've had a mpc prior to this one

top notch quality.

The effects need improvement..this is something akai is looking into...or at least claims they are looking into. it's also something that will probably be fixed in a future os update. otherwise I'd have given this unit a 10

I dont' know how the hell i got along without it before

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown (January 1-, 2003)