Gibson Flying V Faded

Flying V Faded, V/XPL/FB Shaped Guitar from Gibson in the Flying V series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Gibson Flying V Faded

Average Score:4.6( 4.6/5 based on 23 reviews )
 15 reviews65 %
 7 reviews30 %
 1 user review4 %
View price information
SonicPulverizer10/28/2012

SonicPulverizer's review"Low Cost Fire Breather"

Gibson Flying V Faded
The Gibson Faded Flying V is an affordable, no-nonsense guitar with enough class to stay ahead of other gibson USA models in the looks department. The Faded V features a solid Mahogany body and set neck, coupled with a rosewood fingerboard. The 496R and 500T pickups pair perfectly with this guitar, lending it a powerful feel when gain is applied. The controls are made up of two separate volumes and a shared tone pot, which leads to less output resistance and more power. The looks of the guitar are surprisingly fair, unlike other guitars in the faded series.

The tuning stability of the V is average. I found that the B-string on the particular guitar I tested had issues with keeping in check. The neck profile is flaunted by gibson of being a cross between the 60's slim taper neck and the thicker 50's style. I couldn't discern any great benefit to it, but the neck did feel wonderful in the palm. The pickup selection for this guitar is perfect, they give the V a very "hot" sound that allowed for enhanced playing feel with aggressive styles.

I played the Gibson Faded flying V through a JVM210h. Mesa 4x12 cab. No pedals.

If my previous review was any indication, I am not a fan of the JVM series amps at all. This guitar, however, managed to make it pretty enjoyable to listen through. The clean sounds aren't exactly crystal, but they are useable. The focus of this guitar was gain sounds, and this is what I spent most of my time using the guitar for. The guitar allowed for fluid lead runs with oodles of sustain. I could have easily spent a day playing the same riffs on this guitar and not realized the time past. One of the best guitars I've played for aggressive styles of music.

The Gibson Faded Flaying V is a rock/metal guitarist's dream. The guitar is inexpensive, fetching as low as $500 on the used market, while not being stripped of features to the point of damaging desirability. The V retains the gibson aesthetic cues that fans of the brand crave, without set fire to their wallets.
heads on fire12/28/2011

heads on fire's review"Hard rock machine!"

Color: Faded Cherry
Body: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany with special rounded profile
Fingerboard: Rosewood with pearloid dot inlays
Number of frets: 22
Pickups: Two Gibson Alnico Humbucking pickups
Controls: Two volume, one tone with three-way pickup selector switch
Machine heads: Green Key
Hardware: Chrome plated
Case: Black padded gigbag
Output Jack: Quarter inch

I've stated time and again that I don't like the odd, angular shaped guitars. But I've always been intrigued by the Flying V guitars. Maybe it was seeing Hendrix, Albert King, or Billy Gibbons playing one that really piqued my curiosity, but I've always thought they looked rather special. So I finally decided to try one out. The Faded Flying V was the only V my local store had in stock, so I put it to the test. Firstly, and most obviously, the guitar is somewhat cumbersome to hold while in a seated position. The guitar must be held with the "arms" of the V shape astride one leg, and this results in a higher playing angle than most people are used to. As odd as that is, it actually makes the fretting arm more comfortable. The setup was great right out of the box, and I could get great tones right away.

Again, another homerun from Gibson in the tonal department. This guitar has a thick, singing sustain from the neck position, and a nice, powerful cut out of the bridge. The guitar probably isn't terribly appropriate for all styles, but I could see someone using it in anything except country and jazz and pulling it off.

Overall, another great product from Gibson. The looks are classic, yet simple, and the tonal picture is nice. Playability is like that of any good Gibson, and your wallet won't suffer!
iamqman09/03/2011

iamqman's review"Staple rock n roll guitar"

Gibson Flying V Faded
The Gibson flying V guitar is a great rock 'n roll and a great looking guitar and sounding guitar. Whenever someone sees this guitar on stage are in an even in the guitar shop you just think hard rock or metal. Whether it be country or pop music with this guitar you're just think about heavy distortion and long hair. It's a great looking guitar and one of the most iconic looking guitars that is ever been built. It has a great tone is very Gibson sounding in nature but does have its own thing going on compared to a Gibson SG or get some Les Paul guitar.

Gibson Flying V Faded Electric Guitar Specifications

o Three-way pickup selector switch
* Tuners: Grover
* Hardware: Chrome
* Included Accessories: Deluxe Gig Bag

The guitars pretty easy to play but I suggest using it with the guitar strap. If you've ever played a Gibson SG or Gibson Les Paul guitar and then you know that you can set them in your lap and play them sitting on a chair or stool. This is not to be a guitar that you're going to be able to do that with. If you play to Gibson Firebird and you know exactly what I'm talking about because the weird body shape doesn't allow this guitar to sit on your knee. So you always have to use this with a guitar strap and probably standing up. So with that in mind which is not a big deal but it's just something that needs to be said about this guitar. It has a ye large body in the shape of a fee with the usual volume and tone control knobs. Much like the Gibson SG guitar where you can reach the high register frets this guitar allows you to do the same thing. So you're good. Have a lot more versatility in the upper frets than you would be Gibson Les Paul guitarists because those have the back of the body more closer towards the frets which allows it more difficult to reach those higher frets. To this when you're able to play up in the higher frets with much more ease.

The tone is guitar is fantastic with its mahogany wood would a body and neck. You have a rosewood fretboard and the overall tone is guitar is very rock 'n roll. It sounds absolutely fantastic couple with a Marshall amplifier or Mesa boogie amplifier. Pretty much any high gain amplifier will work well with this guitar. My personal favor probably has to be either a Marshall amplifier that's modified or a Bogner amplifier. Something was a good chewy distortion tone works well with this guitar. Simply because it allows for that good chunky rhythmic tone so a good steak distortion sounds exceptional with this guitar.

Add new you can find these guitars for right around $900 which is a steal of a price. This is a great price for good rock 'n roll guitar and a great digging guitar. This is the players guitar for sure and not a boutique or showroom guitar. The look of it just stands out very well so you better be ready to rock it hard if you're going to bring this guitar on stage with you. It's a great price guitar for someone he's looking to get into something better than a Ibanez guitar and wants a fantastic recording and gigging guitar.
King Loudness08/30/2011

King Loudness's review"Radical, man"

Gibson Flying V Faded
The Gibson Flying V Faded is a guitar that is essentially a Gibson Flying V '67 reissue, but instead of being painted in a solid colour finish like black, white or cherry it is painted in one of Gibson's "faded" finishes. I personally am a fan of these finishes as they are much thinner than a typical paint job (helping the tone) plus they are generally cheaper than the regular '67 V. Bonus!

It's got all mahogany construction with a rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, dot inlays, Kluson tuners, tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, and a pair of high output Gibson 496R and 500T humbuckers. There's a fairly simple control layout of two volumes (one per pickup) a master tone control for both pickups as well as a 3 way toggle switch for the dual humbuckers.

The Flying V is a fairly ergonomic guitar that sits extremely well on the body and is light in weight. The faded construction makes the guitar feel purer and more air-y, almost as if it has a layer removed when compared to the regular '67 V. It's light and very resonant. Even when being played unplugged it sounds clear and defined - always a good sign. The upper fret access is quite good on this guitar too.

Getting a good sound of this guitar is fairly simple. Most classic Gibsons are basically plug and play guitars that are meant for a specific player who knows how to channel what he or she wants from their instrument, and this guitar is no exception. It sounds excellent for hard rock and classic metal, and the thinner faded finish helps to give the guitar a sound is brighter and not quite as compressed as the regular Flying V.

The Faded Flying V is equipped with fairly high output pickups that work well for rock and metal styles. It's not a guitar that sounds stellar to me for cleaner work, because Gibson's higher output pickups tend to compress easily and not allow for the dynamic level that contributes to a great sounding clean tone. However, for overdrive tones it sounds great. The neck pickup has a wonderful fluid tone for lead work from rock to metal/shred, and the bridge pickup has a nice raunchy bite that really cuts through in a mix, even at higher gain settings. It's definitely well suited to players looking for a guitar that sounds great for heavier sounds but still with a nice air-y quality that is due to the thinner finish.

The Gibson Faded Flying V is a great sounding and great playing guitar for anyone looking for a flashy yet great sounding guitar at a good price. For $1,000 new, this guitar is an excellent value for money, and I really like it overall. I personally prefer this model to the more expensive '67 RI V because it sounds more vintage and less compressed, especially on higher gain settings. Definitely give one a whirl if you get the chance.
tjon90105/24/2011

tjon901's review"A flying V for everyone."

Gibson Flying V Faded
The Flying V is a classic design by Gibson. It was introduced in the late 50s and was way too radical and ahead of its time. It was re-introduced in the mid 60s and people loved it. Gibson has been making them ever since. This Faded version is currently the most popular Flying V model right now. Gibson noticed that people were starting to like worn in looking guitars. They decided to start a line of Faded guitars that do not have the final clear coat on them to give guitar players a line of new guitars that look old. The guitar is made from solid mahogany with a mahogany set neck. The neck is 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard. The neck is not bound. It has two volume knobs and one tone knob and a 3 way pickup selector. It has 496R and 500T ceramic magnet pickups in the neck and bridge respectively. These pickups are Gibsons own design. It has a traditional Les Paul style tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece.

Because of the V design the upper frets are easier to reach than on a Les Paul. The set neck design means there is a bit of a heel at the neck joint but on this model it is not bad. Because there is no clear coat on the final the guitar feels very smooth and it does not ever get sticky. Because of the shape you may have to play in a classical position when you play sitting down but this is not a problem for me because I always play in a classical position.

The pickups the V comes with are generic Gibson pickups. They are good at everything but not great at anything. The mahogany wood give the guitar a really deep sound even though the body is not that big. If you want to play heavier music you may want to change out the pickups. The Gibson pickups are medium output and are voiced more for classic rock.

Its great for Gibson to put out cheaper models of their guitars that have practically the same features. The flying V is a very popular guitar. The Flying V has been around for over 50 years and will be around for a many more years. So if you are looking for a classic design that will always be cool and popular the Faded flying V might be right for you.
sat4n08/22/2008

sat4n's review

Gibson Flying V Faded
The Flying V Faded is based on the late-sixties V design in which the three control knobs form a triangle, not the fifties design in which they form a straight line. It's got the usual V features: two humbuckers, mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, and penis-shaped silhouette.

The following things distinguish the Faded version of the V from the non-faded version: It has one coat lacquer as opposed to several, it comes with a gigbag rather than a hard case, it costs significantly less money. You could actually buy this guitar and then buy a hardcase from Gibson and you'd still be paying less money than for the non-faded V. The missing coats of lacquer do not make a difference to the sound (unless, I suppose, you're playing it under water).

Many people who have never actually played a Flying V mistakenly think it will be a) heavy, and b) awkward feeling. The guitar is way lighter and easier to play than a Les Paul, and far more well balanced than an SG (which, to me, always feels like it's going to fall if you don't hold the neck up). Very easy to play and very comfortable to wear.

I guess if you like playing sitting down you wouldn't want one, because it can't be done very well. Standing up, though, it's very nice. In keeping with its comically-phallic aesthetic, it fits snuggly into the crotch. Oh la la!

The ceramic magnet pickups that come with this guitar (and all Flying Vs) are good for metal. By "good for metal" I mean that they are extremely high-output and make even the warmest-sounding tube amp sound like you've plugged the guitar directly into a cheap solid-state PA system. If you do not play metal I highly recommend that you replace the stock pickups. I swapped mine out for for Gibson '57 Classics and, along with the hardcase upgrade I mentioned earlier, this is now my main gigging guitar. Furthermore, I made back much of the money I spent by selling the old pickups and the gigbag, but even had I not sold them I still would have spent less on this guitar than I would have on the non-faded V. And the new pickups make this one sound so much better!

I've had this guitar for about two years. I'm not into metal, and neither are my friends or bandmates (we're all into pretentious hipster music), so whenever I play the V they're always skeptical, until they try it out. Once they try it out, they all say they want one. I kind of bought this guitar as a joke; I was planning on starting a joke metal band and then reselling it, but I'm totally serious about it now. After switching the pickups the guitar just sounds great, and it played great from day one. And, of course, it looks, well, hilarious.
MGR/Eric Moers06/12/2004

MGR/Eric Moers's review"Gibson Faded Flying V"

Gibson Flying V Faded
I purchased this guitar at a local music shop for about $550 (Lists for $630). Not too bad.

Let me start with the pick-ups... It comes with a 496R(neck) and a 500T(bridge), Gibson's highest output pickups. They have such a broad range of tones from accoustic clean, to a raw hard shredd mode with great harmonics. The elegant ebony fingerboard (Much better than cheap rosewood in my opinion) gives it a sweet look. Tuning stability is pretty impressive. The standard pearloid tuners hold down their own quite well. Plays great, and the action is as low as it gets.

I personally can't stand the tune-o-matic bridges. They are not locked in place, and can easily fall off, or mess with the intonation, which in then lessens sustain. When I first got it, the intonation was a bit whacky and I was experiencing some fret-buzz. The Flying V electronics configuration has that annoying input jack that sticks out like a D*CK from the front of the pickguard and is SUPER uncomfortable!
Also, Gibson puts the rear strap button in a HORRIBLE location (right at the tip) which makes the weight of the guitar pull the neck down!

The quality is descent, but not superb. It gets great tones at any volume, just plug into a good tube or solid state amp. Overall the hardware is good but not the best out there. The guitar would be perfect with some modifications to electronics, and location of components.

This guitar is a good starter guitar for getting into bigger brand names. BUT BEWARE, A NAME ON A HEADSTOCK DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING! The sound is great with all sorts tones. If I lost it, I wouldn't get another one. I like guitars with finishes as well. If you're looking for a perfect backup guitar, this will do the trick.

MGR/Anonymous06/06/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Gibson Faded Flying V"

Gibson Flying V Faded
I got the Faded Flying V online at samedaymusic.com for $770 (because mine is left handed). I got this guitar because I had played the right handed version in the store and loved it so I went online to find it left handed. Luckily Gibson is totally left handed friendly so, you know, I got that one instead.

I really like the feel because the fret board has great action. I have a fender strat and I couldn't go really fast on it but then I got the V and I was ripping solos like nothing. I can't keep my eyes off the finish, it looks so inviting. And the tone incredibly warm but crunchy.

I could'nt really tell you what I do like because its an all around great guitar.

The constuction is great for gigging and jammin' with your buds but you cannot sit down with it, which kind of shows that the v was made for the stage. The shape with definately turn some heads. Its worth every penny.

My summary:

1) warm/crunchy tone
2) fast action
3) beautiful finish
4) too good for the price
5) made for the stage

MGR/HeavyMetalSabbath11/02/2002

MGR/HeavyMetalSabbath's review"Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V"

Gibson Flying V Faded
I got this guitar at Mars Music just yesterday for $560 , when I was shopping around at their going out of business sale. I saw it hidden behind/below a few ltds so I picked it up and plugged it into a marshall and just jammed for a few minutes. It has a nice smooth feel to it , the finish makes it look like an old friend, it has all that the other V's have except the finish and crescent inlays. The best part is it only cost $560.. for a USA made gibson the regular price is around $620 and list is $900+ .

Personally I love the faded finish because it gives it a very nice look (Most of the pictures you see on the internet don't do it the justice it deserve)

The only thing I don't like about this guitar is the crescent inlays because I don't really like inlays on the fretboard besides on the side. Though I do think they give it a unique look.

I love the sheer perfection of the body construction on this one , it's so smooth and comfortable, when I'm standing up playing it , the balance is just right. Everything is in new good working condition, the volume and tone pots have no scratching or fading out or anything. The inlays are very nicely crafted and positioned too.

For under $900 , why wouldn't you want a nice new gibson Flying V ?

thisch06/04/2014

thisch's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)" A good entry level product"

Gibson Flying V Faded
Purchased in the USA in the famous House of Guitars in Rochester, NY (ROLLING Stone magazine classépar the second best guitar dealer from world to world, eeeeh yeah!), At a ridiculous price (like $ 399).
Exact replica of a real one, with the approximate finishing characteristics of gibbons, little or no jacks, cheap wood, but but but, it sounds like a direct Tyson!
Channel hum stakes, 4 settings, nothing but classic Gibson.
For the price, this is a war beast to carry around.

Did the

It goes very well for the nice big metal or shredding. Personally, for jazz, blues rock, I was not convinced. So I sold to a friend of mine Head banger who takes delight every Friday and Saturday evening.

She has flaws and qualities of its big sister: impossible to play sitting down!