Marshall JMP-1

JMP-1, Guitar amplification from Marshall.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Marshall JMP-1

Average Score:4.5( 4.5/5 based on 36 reviews )
 24 reviews67 %
 5 reviews14 %
 2 reviews6 %
 1 user review3 %
 1 user review3 %
Audience: Advanced users Value For Money : Excellent
Ddams06/25/2013

Ddams's review" marshall stereo"

tubes and unmodified version
balanced jack possible
-20db/+4b switch useful for the studio with stereo output with/without speaker simulator.
I use tc tonerpints in the stereo loop, mix at 6/12
read the different forums regarding the stereo effects loop

as easy as it gets, each channel has treble, middle, bass, bass boost, and presence effect
user's manual????
responds correctly to the pedal
a boost can make the tubes crunch

what kind of music is best suited for the marshall sound?
ibanez sa260fm
epiphone les paul black custom

warm, clean sound, the overdrive is responsive to the knob and the attack, the tubes are present
noise on od1 with the gain at 17/20
used to record in the studio
getting it ready to use it as backline
good value for money, really good, really sturdy
I recommend it highly!
tonejunkie9902/25/2013

tonejunkie99's review"JMP-1=G System=Marshall 100/100= stereo 4x12 cab"

Marshall JMP-1
we control and use the preamp with a G System, power it with a EL34 marshall 100/100. and run it into a customized stereo 4x12 marshall cab. I mount the 100/100 in a separate rack because I sometimes just carry the preamp out to use with other set-ups. without writing a book, my background is 25 years of playing in working bands, and having said that, I was always hard core plexi and really love the sound of superlead stacks. My old school rig was 2 JMP 1/2 stacks. I later went with a wet/dry combination, in other words I send all the effects to one wet/amp and keep the other amp dry. when I went to the wet/dry configuration, we sometimes used a modified JCM-800 head on one of the cabs. anyways long story short, a good friend passed away and he wanted me to have his Rack rig. It literally sat in a corner of the warehouse for 3 years until another guitar player took the covers off the racks to see what was inside and went on and on about how awesome they are and who all uses them still to this day, so we hooked it all up and ran it stereo into 2 4x12 cabs with vintage 30's... literally we all went nuts over this thing... I think anyone who likes marshalls would like the JMP-1 we have had all kinds of preamps over here, and ever since we started using this one, it's really sparked some creativity.

It's the most simple preamp to use I ever seen. very straight forward it has the typical Marshall stuff, Volume, Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Presance. It has an effects loop and you can adjust the mix. It has a bass shift. 2 stages of overdrive, and 2 stages of clean. you can save up to 100 presets, and control it with midi... It has no onboard effects.

Most the night it's reissue les pauls through it. I do a switch and play about 5 songs with a 1963 strat. My pickups are hand wound and read around 9k. the strat pickups were rewound by a old man in Dallas Tx named Vanzandt, he passed away around 1999 I believe... anyways I dont use extreemely high output pickups, so these guitars will sound perhaps a little brighter than some. I change the volume pots in les pauls to 500k pots and although the JMP-1 dosent clean up as much as a big plexi, it cleans up enough for me. With the volume knob you can go from a RATT(or worse) type gain down to a "All Right Now" type tone, and 74 Jailbreak would be in there somewhere also. our music is Power Rock, most comparable to 70's 80's. the tones from this rig without effects is straight-up AC/DC sounding, cleaner settings like Free/Bad-Co. If I add a little more gain, chorus and delay it's totally 80's. on clean settings with chorus it sounds kinda like Purple Rain. With a Flanger it sounds kinda like Pat Travers rig or V-H Unchained. with volume knob technique and a-lot of delay set around the high 400m/s range it will Nail the cathedral sound. one issue I have is you loose a lot of db when switching from od to clean settings.

I like the sound of it. it was given to me, but I would hunt one down if I lost this one, I would probably have to pay around $400. to get one used on ebay todays prices. we have had almost every kind of preamp in here you can think of. I like this one because it sounds good and it's simple. It's not loaded with effects and it wont sound like a fender, which is good for us, but not for everyone... if you mounted this JMP-1 in a rack next to a POD the pod would have a depressive meltdown and cut on itself.
racerevlon11/17/2012

racerevlon's review"A great alternative if you don't have $$$ for a JVM!!"

Marshall JMP-1
The JMP-1 is a valve MIDI preamp. Let's break this down into components. Valve: there are two 12AX7/ECC83 valves on-board that help the preamp generate the gain and the classic Marshall sound. MIDI: the preamp is MIDI-controllable in addition to the simple 4-button foot switch and has 100 user preset locations. Preamp: I think this is where most people get confused. This is a preamp ONLY--it still requires a power amp, whether you have a dedicated rack power amp, or you run into the loop return of an amp head, you'll need a way to power this unit. The only exception is if you're using the emulated out to record directly to a console. All of the usual suspects are on-board: Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence controls, a mix for the effects loop, individual buttons to select each channel, and a "Bass Shift" feature that alters the frequency range affected by the tone controls. There are standard mono or stereo output jacks for connecting to a power amp, emulated line out jacks for connecting directly to a recording console, and an effects loop with a -10/+4 button for connecting and controlling the effects loop. All in all, fairly flexible for a 1U valve preamp.

The JMP-1 on its own is only half of the equation. I've heard a JMP-1 sound absolutely atrocious through one type of power amp, then absolutely magical through another type of power amp. You have to keep in mind what's down-stream of the JMP-1 to ensure you get the best sound out of the preamp. Historically, the selection dial on most of the earlier units was "jumpy" and didn't track very well, something I heard Marshall fixed in later releases. The preamp is simple enough to use if you spend five minutes playing around with the controls and learning what every control does. Saving MIDI parameters is simple enough, requiring only a double-press of the "Store" button to save a MIDI preset/patch.

I've owned this unit long enough to know that experimenting with different types of tubes DOES make a difference. The best sound I've got from the JMP-1 is using Mesa Russian-2 tubes, which is what I still use today. That said, it's really easy to make the JMP-1 sound horrible. My suggestion, as with many things, is to dial in the JMP-1 with your ears and not your eyes. The B/M/T/P controls range from -6 to +6 but don't set the controls where you "think" they should be, set the controls where they sound the best to your ears. If you find that you get a great sound with the bass set to -6, so be it. Don't let your brain override your ears by thinking, "well, that can't be right--there's no way it could/should sound good with the bass fully cut." It can and it will. Always keep in mind this is a PREAMP, not a full amp. If you like the idea of Marshall's latest offering, the JVM series but don't have the cash, a JMP-1 and a good power amp are an excellent compromise. You get four channels, each with a gain control that ranges from 1-20. Even on the clean channels, you can get some good bluesy crunch if you crank up the gain and have fairly strong valves on-board. The key is that you have to spend time dialing in the sound you're looking for with the JMP-1, again, with your ears, not your eyes, and always be mindful of what you're using for power and speakers. Taking something like the JMP-1 and plugging it into a cheap solid-state power amp with cheap speakers will sound, well, cheap. However, go the other direction and run the JMP-1 into a nice valve power amp like a Marshall EL34 50/50 or 100/100, VHT 2/90/2, or even a Mesa 20/20, and you'll get MUCH better results. I run my JMP-1 into a Marshall EL84 20/20 and can get so many great sounds out of it that I actually sold my JVM410H. Just like a pedal/stomp-box, the JMP-1 is ONE piece of a larger puzzle.

The JMP-1 is incredibly flexible and puts a ton of different tones right at your fingertips. You can go from Jazzy clean to death metal with almost no effort. Now that they're out of production and prices are way down, I think the JMP-1 is an excellent value for the price, especially considering that the emulated line out, while sounding "slightly" what I would describe as "transistor-y" is still absolutely viable if you're recording on a budget. I've also owned an ADA MP-1 and would say that they're two different beasts. The JMP-1 interface is much easier to master, but the MP-1 has the on-board light chorus effect that really punctuates the 80's rock sound. Being a rack unit, it's somewhat of a pain to experiment with different tubes but once you find the sound you like you're good to go. Many modern players/bands (Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Billy Gibbons, etc.) still use the JMP-1 as a staple of their live tone due to its MIDI-switching capability and its virtual warehouse of almost the entire Marshall tonal history. If something were to happen to mine I would replace it without hesitation.
iamqman04/06/2011

iamqman's review"Garbage"

Marshall JMP-1
Marshall has taken the biggest hold on the guitar amplifier world and completely pissed it down the drain. Sure people will still buy amps from them because they don't know what Marshall is now and they have some a strong hold on the market. Don't get me wrong I love Marshall the way Marshall used to sound. Now they just put out trash after trash. This preamp is no different. At least they discontinued this unit for now. I hope they are re configuring this thing because it sound like trash!

FEATURES:

* OD-1/Classic Overdrive channel - smoldering power will take you from a Super Lead Plexi's molten gold through to searing modern metal.

* OD-2/Modern Hi-Gain channel - tightly focused high gain drive by the truckload. Modern and aggressive, yet fluid and toneful, this stunning channel will give you all the distortion and sustain you'll ever need.

* Clean 1/Warm, Clean channel - for warm, full bodied chords, fat clean lead passages and jazz tones.

* Clean 2/Bright, Clean channel - has the glassy edge of a JTM45 and will give all of the bright, jangly tones you could wish for.

* Each channel includes the following programmable controls: Volume and Gain (0 to 20), Bass, Middle, Treble and presence (rainging from -6 to +6). A Bass Shift option re-shapes the low end character of each channel, too.

* Stereo Effect Loop is 100% programmable from 0 (fully dry) to 12 (full effects) and has level selection (-10dB or +4d) to match your effects processor.

* Each channel and parameter selection is made by pushing the relevant key and then adjusted by using the rotary Master Data control. Once you've dialed in a sound you want to savem simply press the Store Key twice. Recall is instant either from the front panel, via the optional Marshall 4 way footswitch (MPM4E), or via MIDI.

* The JMP-1 has MIDI IN, OUT, and THRU connections plus a mapping facility. You can also select the channel (1-16/Omni) on which MIDI messages are transmitted and received by the JMP-1.

* Left and Right Outputs are switchable between -10dB and +4dB.

* Also features Speaker Emulated Outputs.

* Dimensions: 1 U Rack (260mm depth)

* Weight (Kg): 4.5

* Preamp Valves: 2 x ECC83 (12AX7A)

* Footpedal: MPM4E (optional)

It does have tubes in it but who would have known. It sounds very sterile and fake. This is a beginners intro to preamps. I know that Janick from Iron Maiden uses this preamp but I'm not sure if he has it with anything else or if it is modified.

Anyway, you can control a host of presets with midi functionality. So it is quick to fire up a preset sound on the fly for gigging.

The sound you get from this unit is sub par. Many users of Marshall over the years have said that this is Marshall's worst offering that they have ever created. There is nothing this thing can do to make it sound natural or anything like a JMP or a JCM 800. It is just bad!

It does have a Marshall British tone but it isn't something that you will enjoy playing will. You can find these units for around $500 or so used but save a few more bucks and get yourself a JCM 800 used. Slap a Boss SD-1 in front of it and you will get a tremendously better tone than you will ever get with this piece of tin.

I woulnd't recommend this preamp to anyone with the money that thy are going for. If you get it for free then maybe but save your self some time and effort and just move on past this. If you need decent preamp get an AD MP1 and get it modified for what you'd pay for this thing.
moosers12/01/2010

moosers's review

Marshall JMP-1
The Marshall JMP-1 is a valve based guitar preamp, offering a single space rack mountable unit for use with electric guitar. It’s great for the home or professional studio owner who doesn’t necessarily want to always set up an amplifier for recording guitars. The unit has two valve tubes (ECC83’s to be exact) inside of it, so you’re getting a pretty realistic sound for something that isn’t actually a traditional amplifier. It’s got ¼” jacks for input and headphones in the front. I’m not really sure what other types of connections it has since the one that we have at the studio where I work is racked up and hooked up to the patch bay already.

There’s a whole lot that can be done with the Marshall JMP-1, a lot of which I haven’t even tried to use it for. One of the smaller producer’s suites that we have at the studio complex where I work has one of these in there, and it’s definitely best suited in this sort of setting where you might not be able to use a real amplifier. It’s also great for beefing up tracks that you’ve already recorded with an amp. There are four basic channels in here – two overdrive channels and two clean channels, each with controls for presence, gain, volume, and bass, middle, and treble EQ control, as well as a Bass Shift control which messed with the low end of your signal a bit. Like any digital device, you can store and recall your settings quite easily. I haven’t seen the manual for this, but it would definitely be helpful to have if you can get your hands on it.

The sound of the Marshall JMP-1 is about as close to a real amplifier sound as you’ll get outside of using a real amp. I’ll always try to get a real amplifier sound when possible, but have been using this here and there if I’m looking to beef up a pre-recorded sound or adding a new part if I’m not able to use the original amplifier I used. I love the versatility that you’re getting with the JMP-1, as it gives you more options than you could get with a traditional amp, and the real valve tubes give it a realistic sound, which isn’t something you can say for most of the units out there like this…

If you find yourself looking for a device to record guitar directly into your DAW, but don’t want to compromise too much in realistic sound quality, the Marshall JMP-1 is the perfect place to start. I haven’t seen too many other units like this one out there that offer a realistic sound in such a compact box with this amount of flexibility. It’s still not a replacement for a real amplifier, but it’s about as close you’re going to come…
eldorum11/01/2007

eldorum's review

Marshall JMP-1
Everything has been said already
Just one defect: no input on the front panel.
a pity

Very, very easy to use.
Basic controls: bass, mid, treble, presence, and a bass boost that has a stronger effect on the fullness of the sound rather than the lows, which I love...
Midi is very, very easy as well, once you find the right channel lol

Well, I think people who say this amp is not for metal are wrong.
There you go, I've said it lol
I have long sought for the perfect distortion preamp... and I've had some, a rocktron and another one, I even have a jackson preamp (not lee jackson but the brand, jackson, like the guitars) but it still lacks that special something.
You just have to look at the biggest bands and they all use or have used it: iron maiden, megadeth, metallica... but the most important thing is to find your own sound and I love the heavy metal sound from 1980, '85 and the early '90s. It's the perfect preamp.
Clean 1 is the one I use, I have my own settings but it is very soft with a slight brilliance to it, but I think you can also achieve a very crystalline sound
Clean 2 is more hollow, but the highs are too much, I personally don't use it
od 1 I don't use either but it's a good crunch even if it lacks some power
od 2 is perfect. I crank the gain all the way up and play with the guitar's volume for different styles. It's great and I can even manage to get a clean steve vai sound, it's awesome. With the mids all the way up I get a very tight sound that I love, and boy does it rock!

I've used it for a while and I can only say: thank you marshall. You can find it secondhand at very reasonable prices. On the other hand, new it's really expensive, but still less than a TriAxis...
It's a petty good preamp, plus it's really sturdy (I know because the screws on my rack are too short and it's fallen twice already). And it works perfectly fine
Seriously, if you love blues, rock, hard rock, heavy metal, and good ol' trash with a marshall sound it is perfect, for black and other genres with a change of tubes or a distortion before it, it should be good.
Enjoy everybody!!
Hyde01/06/2007

Hyde's review

Marshall JMP-1
Everything or almost everything has been said already. No need to add much, except that mine (bought secondhand to an AF user) has two jj tubes and came with the pedal that goes with the jmp1.

The configuration couldn't be easier. Personally, I connect it to the return of my fallen angel head.
"Is it easy to get the right sound?": oh yes!!! Especially since everything is configurable on the jmp1: clean sound, distortion sound, bass, mid, treble, presence, effects loop level, gain, volume.
Regarding the patches available, 26 are already preset by the manufacturer but they can be modified at will. All others are entirely free for you to create your own sound.
The manual is simple enough to be easily understood by anyone. A table details the 26 preset patches (volume level, gain level, bass level...).

Connected to the loop of my fallen angel, I have tested the jmp1 with my 3 guitars: an American strat, a gibson les paul smartwood and a ltd viper tuned one semitone down.
I "reproach" my fallen angel for having a too sharp, too solid, too modern sound. I want heavier sounds, so that's why I chose the marshall over the engl 530 or the voodoo valve. And I was not disappointed, on the contrary. For people who love rock, in every sens of the word (poop rock, hard rock, heavy metal), this preamp is for you. The sound palette is such that it's impossible not to find the sound, or sounds, you are looking for. I haven't had it that long to be able to really exploit all the resources of this beast.
For those who think you can't get a big and fat sound with the jmp1, I can guarantee you that you are wrong: with an EQ (mxr 108) in the loop, even an overdrive to boost everything (mxr wylde or ibanez tube screamer), and the possibility to adjust all parameters, we can go from a superb crunch to a very nasty and fat sound (maybe the jj tubes have something to do with that? I haven't tested it with the original tubes, so I can't confirm that).
It's true that the jmp1 isn't the best for clean sounds, but it wasn't made for that. Nevertheless, with a bit of reverb and a compressor we can get very nice results.
Finally, something that came as a really nice surprise to me is that it is possible to get fat distortions at low volumes with this preamp. I suddenly have no use for my vhm power break anymore, which was indispensable before (I've put it up for sale).

My opinion might be very subjective, given my little experience with amplifiers, but the jmp1 truly corresponds to the sound I was looking for and that I like so much. You may criticize the marshall sound, but nevertheless it has something and it's part of rock history. The jmp1 has reconciled me with marshall because I was very disappointed after trying out a tsl 60 combo which paled against the fallen angel.
I highly recommend this preamp given its great value for money, especially secondhand, if it's in good condition, like mine (thank you aliascross!!!).
What I like best is the diversity of sounds and their configurability (is that even a word?)
What I like least: maybe the fact that you only have four sounds available with the footswitch (but then again, a midi pedal will help you easily get round that problem).

Edit from 01.06.07: after several days I changed my jmp1 for another preamp (an engl tube toner). But it wasn't because I was disappointed by the jmp1, but rather that I had no use for one of the preamp's main advantages: the configuration possibilities it offers. The jmp1 requires a lot of time to fine tune the sound, which is something I don't have. That's why I took the opportunity to change it for a tube toner that has more basic settings and is easier to configure. I still think that the jmp1 is a very good product, and who knows I might end up coming back to it someday...?
olive_agghir12/04/2014

olive_agghir's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)" Versatile, ideal for midday patches"

Marshall JMP-1
Purchased to manage easily on stage and at the foot a lot of different sounds by subscribing via the multi-effect noon JMP1 and avoid invasive pedalboard.
I use since 2007, first coupled to a power amp marshall 2x80W 8002, and with a Digitech multi-effects which I forgot the name!
I will soon add to it a tube power amp peavey classic 50/50, it should not hurt to change the sound!

I'm pretty satisfied with the JMP, I use only the saturation of the preamp that suit me perfectly (rock / heavy). IN his clear what ets more limited (that ets Marshall, Fender not!), And I find that EQ output is not the luxury to get drinking sounds even with my Strat.

Noon patch is simple to perform, it works very well with a control pedal (I have a Behringer, too bulky).

Anyway I'm quite a fan of my JMP1, I look forward to associate the classic 50/50 because it seems that it gives potential with lamps ass ...
johnny3110/02/2014

johnny31's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)" TOP OF THE TOP !!!"

TOP OF THE TOP ... I USED A COUPLE ON STAGE AND A 9200 JFX 1 FOR OVER 15 YEARS
OR THEN LIVE ON MY 01V96 AND THIS IS THE TOP AND I'VE TRIED MANY ...
INCLUDING TRIAXIS ... NOTHING WORTH JMP1 FOR ME

SOUND IS EXCELLENT ALL SONS Y MARSHALL

I MAKE THE JOHNNY ROCK OF HARD ROCK METAL ... YOU CAN EVEN HAVE A SON PLAYING ON METALLICA 0D 2 AND DEEPENING MEDIUMS ... CA WORTH TRIAXIS CONSORT AND I HAVE ALSO TRIED

TOP OF THE TOP !!! NOTHING WORTH MARSHALL !!!
IT'S HEFTY ... DO ME NEVER LOOSE ...
I GO ELSEWHERE IN Me ACQUIRES ONE OF THE POSSIBLE ...
Poilor11/22/2013

Poilor's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)" Pretty good helper, very typical."

Marshall JMP-1
Two lamps preamp for two clean and two types of overdrive which meet soon enough. We toured the sounds available in less than an hour.
Connectors: entrance facade, 2 outputs on the back for sending in the power amp, an effects loop (a send and return for 2 stereo effects), connection noon to manage other devices, Stereo output with HP emulation, switch +4 / -20 dB.
A headphone facade.

Very intuitive, each parameter is adjustable via a single knob (endless) settings from -6 to 6 for low, mid, high, 0-20 to gain and volume, the setting of the selected parameter is shown in red.

Manual, dispensable, can be used for parmétrage noon or recording settings (100 presets ... I doubt the relevance of so many when we quickly turns round with the settings, probably for use with 2 or 3 other midi devices whose settings would complement?).

Sounds clear lack of definition, treble bite before cristalins, or more precisely, the adjustment is made on a frequency to be loved. It takes effect in the loop for pleasure, otherwise the record is a little ungrateful.
Not possible crunch.

OD can be interesting if you like that kind of color, but you can not get out too. It is quickly compressed from one ascends the gain.

Long used with different rack effects (Digitech 2120 Alesis Quadraverb, also tried with a Fractal Audio) plugged into an amp and Mesa Boogie 2:50 (which is much more convincing).

The effects racks can rework the EQ to find other colors, but trying too hard to distort the original sound is still loses definition. Better get used to really sound very cete medium and a little muddy. A bunch of different guitars (Gibson Les Paul Standard 1990 Strat pickups Duesenberg, ESP ...), the sound is very distinctive.

I mainly used in metal / rock / prog context, with a rather medium need (that's good). For brit rock it will not work (well, you can do everything of course, but good). For death metal that can suit even if the precise time they seek treble side.

I kept almost ten years, in parallel with other amps. It has served me well, it's just fine for the scene, for example.
Given the bargain price, it is a correct choice.
I am separated because the game is a little soft, once you pass the studio it's embarrassing. There are a whole bunch of electronics that eats the game and dynamics. I thought I could get a quick response with all lamps, all-tube heads but I could try for a better offer well made and offer a wider range. The lack of crunch may not pop, but soon tired of the little room offered by both OD.
With experience, I do not orienterais me to the rack config JMP1 the armature (not always, of course). + 2:50 JMP1 can find 800 secondhand in 2013 for the same price a head allows more things and especially transcribe accurately the game without going through A / D converters average. But it is a little harder to find!