Akai MPC2000XL

MPC2000XL, Sampling Sequencer from Akai in the MPC series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Akai MPC2000XL

mitchgeist11/13/2012

mitchgeist's review"MPC 2000XL IS A CLASSIC"

Akai MPC2000XL
The MPC2000XL is similar to the MPC2000 but with many newer features; including four independent pad-bank keys, number of samples stored doubled to 256 on the XL, altering sounds to a different bit depth or sampling rate could be accomplished by resampling, time stretch was added along with other features. In 2004 the 2000XL-MCD version was released, which features a CompactFlash card reader as standard in place of the floppy drive or Zip drives used in earlier models. There were 4 limited edition 2000XL SE MPCs created between 2000 and 2003. There were two versions of the SE 1, one with an improved control surface, compatible with growing number of sound libraries and one with aesthetic changes. The Limited Edition SE 2 and SE 3 also had only aesthetic changes.

The functions are very easy to access as is with all MPC models. The manual is also very straightforward and explains the machine with clarity. The install is also easy as is with all MPC models.

The sound isn't as gritty as say as MPC 60 or 3000, but it still gives it a nice analog sound. The pads are GREAT on this MPC and is one of my favorite pad models for the MPC's. IT comes with no preset sounds so I can't comment on that, but the filters and effects it has are sufficient enough to get someone started.

Overall it's a solid machine for someone who wants to step up from say the MPC 500 or 1000, but can't afford a 5000 or 4000. The price is reaosnable nowadays, you might find one on craigslist for anywhere between 300-600. I am glad I used this MPC because I churned out some great ideas with it.
Audiofanzine FR03/17/2009

Audiofanzine FR's review

Akai MPC2000XL
(Originally written by kehi75/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
Great for audio and Midi!!!!!!!!!! The sequencer is just amazing.

Very easy configuration. Once you know how it works you can start right away.

I read lots of things about the quality of the 2000XL converters and I can only say they amazing. Why? Because the response is very linear. everything that comes in comes out exactly the same. That means you won't have surprises, and that's what I expect from it!!! As a summary, the musician makes the sound not the MPC!!!!!

I've owned almost all MPC models (2000, 2000XL, 1000, 2500, 4000). I started with the 2000XL and ended up with the 2000XL!!! All other MPC models are good too, but I think you have to choose a gear depending on what it does best. And all technologies provided by the newer MPC models are also available in sequencers like Cubase, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Logic, etc. Right now this device offers an amazing value for money on the secondhand market. If you want an all-in-one device and the legendary MPC sound you'd better buy other MPC models. But if you use it for what it was conceived and you already have all other tools you require it's an amazing machine!!!!!!!!!!

Akai MPC2000XL
One problem that bugs me is stopping the box when im working on a new peice to turn on and of the 16 levels thats relaly annoying, i got myne fully loaded 8 outs f-rom effects the works both of them are the great , when i midi them it's unbleivable what you hear cause it's like i got a sympany playing . 32mbs of onboard mem though is a bit cheap but what i really love about it is the fact that i can run internal programs at once and still be able to midi, i use 2 xl's and an extreme and man it's just great to have so much control .

Price paid: $1650

The learning phaze is a bit tidious but once you learn it it's well worth it i masterd the 2000 first then stepped up and man let me tell you it's a great machine it's is the heart of every peice i put down . there are many hidden screens so just hit open window on every thing just to see wha's there .

it's built tough been had them now for abotu 4 years and man they been every where italy,england, london, newyork , toronto all through out the caribbean, yeah i get around performing and they are just great.

Work of art i love the sound and the sampler is top notch i do alot of reggea and calypso productions and live performances with 2 of these machines and man they are the heat .

I would never trade this in unless they com up with improve ment's to this machine it's the industry standard

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: wasi ( 4-, 2006)

Akai MPC2000XL
For me whats missing are the 8 outs. Other then that I think there is more then enough features to make some music with out more sample time.

Price paid

So far I hate the MIDI settings I still cant get it. Other then that as long as you have the manuel and someone to give you some advice when you get stuck the 2000xl is pretty stright forward.

Quality of the sound was clearner then my EPS-16+ but "dirtier " then my computer.

No repairs. This thing is a tank.

I love it. A solid piece of equipment that holds down my home studio.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: BottomUpBeats (January 1-, 2005)

Akai MPC2000XL
Yeah it should have come factory with an internal zip drive instead of floppy drive.

$650.00

It's a piece of cake. I never had to use a manual for operating it only for syncing issues.

Great and built to last. The only thing is the floppy drive has a tendacy to clank out or better yet the MPC has a tendacy of freezing up from time to time.

Well the sound quality is great b/c the sounds I use are great.

I love it wouldn't trade it for any other mpc.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: missdjcoley-cole ( 6-, 2005)

Akai MPC2000XL
This really have complimentary features, like the 'Next Sequence' and the 'Main Menu' keys. But basically it's your all around machine. It samples up to 44.1khz 16 bit depth rate. The processor isn't so fast when it comes to re-sampling. It's a really good groove sequencer. I just wish it came with an internal cd burner for mastering once you've completed a project.

$800

It takes some time to use efficiently but at the same time it isn't difficult either.

So far it crashed on me once and I had it for 8 months now. Other than that it's a solid piece of work.

When it comes to sound quality, the MPC series is all about what YOU load into the MPC yourself. It dosen't do anything special to sounds other than re-sampling which won't really improve quality. Bottom line...if you load garbage you'll get garbage.

I don't know how to work with out it. I use it within my protools setup, but in any given situation I can work with this baby idependently away from everything else. I'm definitely glad I went with this.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: young professa ( 2-, 2004)

Akai MPC2000XL
The features are superb. As this is my first sampler, I cant compare it, but nothing seems missing.

£500, second hand

Very easy to use. Manual is less than perfect, but compliments other resources such as common sense and internet sites quite well.

It is very robust...very... Have not spoken to customer service yet, but from what I gather there is practically none anyway.

Traditionally, I believe the 2000 series is a hiphop sampler. I imagine given its simplicity though, that it could be used in almost any other genre. The only problem I have encountered so far is the crashes (not as much as windows, but thats not necessarily good), and the loading times (I usually work off my pc).

This is a very good machine for any budding hiphop beatmaker. The above marks dont really do it justice.Try to get it second hand if you can, as theyre robust, and there will be little damage. As time passes, the mpc becomes more and more central to my beat-making setup. Great machine!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown ( 7-, 2003)

Akai MPC2000XL
I am Completely satisfied with all the new features that were added to the 2000XL (Exp. Main screen Key, Hing LCD Moniter, etc). The only thing is see missing is all Mpc's should come with a built in Zip Drive. The Floppy disk drive is not very helpful if you use Samples in your music!

$1299

Very Easy To use basic Sequencing. But things get a lot more complicated as you advance in Music Production!

The sound quality all depends on what you feed it!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown ( 4-, 2003)

$1.000

Yes and no just sit and bang away

Cool

My wife says i play with it more tan her. can't get serious than that.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown ( 4-, 2003)

Akai MPC2000XL
I know this would be expecting too much, but I wish it could have transpose function+ bit faster time stretching

1350$

Very easy to use, but if you are newbie for a drum machine, U might get into trouble understanding the system. the manual is ,,well,, wrttien in such dry language(since it is direct translation of japanese..) I hope they could be little bit more descriptive. After U fully comprehend the system of MPC, there is a lever where you press buttons and pads on mpc fast than you type.

the soft rubber pads do excellent job at programming with dynamic drum hits, you can even control the sensitivity of the pads. I never had any mecanical problems, but being made from factory does not guarantee you that yours will have the same quality as mine does. I have heard couple of my friends saying their mpcs freeze a lot, and somehow mine does faster time stretching than theirs.......

Good

Where I have used 3 drum machines(mc307, Dr202, mc 505) and 2 samplers(mpc and sp-808), and even though these are disparate machines, mpc's Drum machine+sampler feature outstands. Dynamic pads and slice function will leave you with full of space to fill in your creative and experimental ideas on the pads. If you are into producing dirty and gritty hip-hop I suggest MPC-60(lower sampling bit), but if you want next sequence+track mute function, get mpc2000XL, I find track mute function quiet useful

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Unknown (January 0-, 2002)