• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Line 6 POD 2

Irv Kurzbard02/26/2017

Irv Kurzbard's review"Great for gigs"

Line 6 POD 2
I have used my pod since 2007 for many gigs. We are a blues, classic rock band. I found the pod much easier and reliable to lug around with a medium solid state amp. No maintenance, utterly reliable and great sounds. Primarily set on a clean bassman or tweed, clean with very little distortion and reverb. The amp is set neutral and merely amplifies the pod. I am old school and was used to tube amps and pedals, but this setup is so much simpler, compact, tough and sounds fab. I have critically listened and played tube amps versus my rig. I agree that a tube amp is better. However, the pod is quite a good alternative and once setup to your liking can emulate with some of the best. Fellow musicians praise it. So do audience members. Used for about $100 coupled with a good solid state amp like a Peavey or Roland=watch out!
heads on fire10/31/2011

heads on fire's review"It's a staple unit."

Features
Rotary Speaker
Delay/Swell
Delay
Reverb

I think nearly everyone has owned or played with one of these. If you haven't, you've certainly HEARD one - listen to anything produced in the last 11+ years, and there is usually something from this unit on there, from a simple overdub to a smattering of all guitar and bass sounds of a full album. I've actually done both approaches - I've made a couple of full-length albums that used only tones from this box, no miked sounds, and have gotten lots of positive feedback regarding those sounds. I tend to mic up guitar amps more nowadays, but this baby back in the day made great tones acheivable on the cheap and easy. It's a ubiquitous box that makes life simpler for a recording engineer.

The sounds are good. I'm rating it a 7 because the technology for amp modelling has improved vastly since these came out. But I know I could still jam out on a recording with one of these units and be satisfied with the results. The Treadplate sound is one of the best metal rhythm sounds around, and the delays are really cool on here as well. It's fun to use as a practice headphone amp! No matter what one thinks of amp models, I don't think anyone could plug into this and not find some kind of usable tone.

It's a collection of good, usable amp and effects tones, for not much money. And it is a lifesaver on a recording session - especially if a "signature tone" type amp goes down, this box can be plugged in to save the day. With some EQ and compression, the tones can be nearly indistinguishable from the originals in many cases. If one still turns one's nose up at the thought of using the little red bean pod for a record, it still makes a great headphone amp. And it's fun to mess around for reamping, like with crushed drums or distorted vocals!
iamqman07/06/2011

iamqman's review

Line 6 POD 2
One of the best products that Line 6 has ever produced. These little units sound amazing and have a great array of variance of possible operations. You can run amp models and cab models as well as an assortment of modulations, delays, and others effects.

One very cool features is the ability to run 9 effects at the same time. This gives the user basically and endless supply of possible tonal variations.

Features:

32 Amp Models
15 Cabinet models
16 Digital Effects
36 Factory/ User Presets
1/4 inch TRS Headphone and Direct Out
ToneTransfer compatible for seamless transfer of sound with any other Flextone II, POD, or POD Pro, or with Line 6's on-line library of sounds
Headphone out
MIDI I/O plus free software editor/librarian
Chromatic tuner

D/A Res. 24 bit
Max. Delay 1000 ms
MIDI I/O In/Out
Simultaneous Effects 9

This little box is great for recording but live play is is another story. If you simply use the effects for live use ten it is a decent tone, but j=using the amp models in a real amp situation is pretty pointless to me.

When recording this little thing is a great tool. Will it sound exactly like a real tube amp pushing a speaker cabinet...no but it will get pretty close to the original sound.

Doesn't really matter what guitar you use with this product because it will sound decent. You will not get that feel of the notes and the dynamics of really playing a tube amp because this is just simply simulating what you would play not wise. There is no feeling at all in the notes.

I think Line 6 is one of the best if not the best companies out there who provide solid effect units for the all-in-one consumer who wants to keep things simple and clean. I would play this unit any day of the week. I don't use too much effects so something like this is perfect for me and it is perfect for home use!

At new you can pick these units up for aright around 4200. Not a bad price for this compact processor. I like the idea of using this silently for playing at home or in an office where noise may be an issue.
themaddog06/06/2011

themaddog's review"The original! But better to go with the XT"

Line 6 POD 2
This was an upgrade to the original guitar amplifier synthesizing pre-amp. If memory serves me correctly, it has 32 amplifiers it modeled (16 on the front, but by holding Tap while moving the amp knob other amps can be selected), cabinet simulation, and a number of onboard effects. In addition to 1/4" inputs and outputs, which are mono or stereo it can send and accept MIDI in order to save data or remotely change the synthesizer's settings. Unlike the later POD XT, there is no setting to change the type of microphone being emulated, nor the room characteristics of that mic emulation.

That being said, there is one major feature that the original POD can perform that is not found on the XT: On the XT, if you are using a patch with a delay and you switch to another patch (say, one without the delay), even if you already struck the note and the delay is expected it will not play. There is no way to enable the delay to play until it naturally decays on the XT. The original POD (and 2.0) POD, switching patches will still allow for a delay of up to two seconds, again if memory serves me correctly.

Getting this thing to sound great is easy - you either set it up for connecting directly to a recorder or to an amplifier. How you set it changes the type of cabinet simulation that is used, in order to make it sound more accurate for the circumstances at hand. The manual is very easy to follow, but the POD is so intuitive that anybody can dial up some great tones just by fooling around with it. Even by breaking the rules by using the wrong output setting can get some interesting results.

Although this is now the outdated POD, some of the tones are still emulated on the later POD's with little to no change. In the hands of a gifted user, some excellent sounding tones can be dialed up, and the nice thing about this POD, when compared with the XT and later models, is that fewer options means fewer, more simple to make choices.

This was my first serious piece of guitar gear, as I bought it when I still only had a practice amp. I think it's great for what it is, but looking back, and knowing what I do now, I wish I had instead taken the money and purchased a solid, used tube amp.

I haven't had my POD 2.0 for years, but I do have a POD XT Live (and formerly had a POD XT). The only feature I really miss from the 2.0 is the delay I was talking about in the very top section.

In my opinion, the POD 2.0 is nearly useless live, unless you separately purchase the floorboard. At the same time, I'm not really an advocate of using any POD in a recording studio, unless the recordist has volume restrictions and can't use a real guitar amplifier. The real deal, especially under the microscope of the studio, always sounds so much better, so unless you don't have access to a real guitar amplifier (including solid state) or are lazy, I wouldn't advocate for its use in the studio.
Audiofanzine FR12/16/2010

Audiofanzine FR's review"Waouhh!"

Line 6 POD 2
Originally written by laulalau on Audiofanzine FR.

Everything has been said already!

Everything has been said already!
In my opinion, it's rather easy to use.

Now, let's talk seriously ^^.

I already knew Line6 simulations before buying the Pod because I used (and I still use) a Toneport UX1 that I like a lot.
I also knew Vox simulations (I owned several amps from the Valvetronix range). I always preferred the Line 6 sound (although some users say it's cold and digital, but it's all a matter of settings).

Enough quality effects.

I use only four amp simulations: BRIT CLASSIC (Vox AC30), BRIT HI GAIN (Marshall JCM 800), TREADPLATE (Mesa Boogie Rectifier) and MODERN HI GAIN (Soldano).
I find these four simulations are AMAZING!!!
Other simulations are not so good but it's no big deal because I need only these four simulations. They allow me to play anything I want.

I use the Pod with an Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature, a Fender Telecaster John 5 and a Telecaster Baja.
The Pod faithfully reproduces the sound personality of each guitar (but not as good as a real amp).

When I bought it, I used to play with a pair of headphones because I didn't like the sound with my amp (Blackstar HT5). The tubes colored the sound and the result was really awful.
But with headphones, the sound was wonderful... So I sold my amp and bought a power amp conceived for what I do (Tech 21 Power Engine 60).
It allows me to get the best out of the Pod (this amp is linear and faithfully reproduces the simulations without coloring the sound).

With this amp, I can enjoy the sound quality of the Pod: the sound is just amazing!

I've been using it for about one month... I never had such a sound at home and I know that my sound never was as good as it is now.

I like the Pod 2.0 because it's easy to use, intuitive and provides almost endless sound possibilities.
In my opinion, the Pod offers enough simulations and possibilities. That's the reason why I prefer it to the Pod XT or X3.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again! Especially considering that it's always cheaper ;)
mooseherman11/29/2010

mooseherman's review"Effective, but Dated amp modeler"

Line 6 POD 2
This is an amp modeler. It is primarily designed for studio use, as it's interface is definitely designed for maximum tweaking and not ease of use. It can be used live, though, with MIDI. It's also a direct-in, which means that running it through an amp is actually a bad idea. There are two 1/4" stereo outputs, as well as a headphones output. There is a switch which will allow you to use an amp if you so desire, as well. There is also a MIDI in and out, for programming automation. This is entirely a digital technology. There are no computer connection capabilities as far as I know with the POD 2, though later models do introduce such things.

Utilizing this piece of gear is definitely pretty easy at least to get a tone. Eventually though, it gets more complicated. The only issue comes if you want to change tones mid-song. If using this in the studio, you could just change tones. But if you wanted to use it live, it would require MIDI programming. For some this won't be an issue, as they are familiar and used to MIDI programming. Many of us, though, would rather be able to have more flexibility.

I have tried this amp modeler out with a Tele, a Strat, and a Les Paul. I have found that, overall, the tone between guitars doesn't change. This is digital, and digital doesn't exactly leave a lot of wiggle room in terms of tone. This piece of gear is great if you have nothing in the way of good amps. Basically, it doesn't hold a candle to a great amp. You can get far better tones in any decent tube amp (or solid-state if that's what you prefer). The effects get pretty whacky, and there are a ton of possibilities there, but I don't know if they can compare to a great pedal in any respect. The distortions are great digital distortions, so fans of Industrial music or techno-rock or whatever will dig it, but don't expect to play classic rock, or even alternative stuff. This is another case of quantity over quality.

I definitely would recommend the POD to a studio owner, simply because there are going to be people who want these types of tones. However, I don't recommend that most people use them as they don't respond very well to individual taste, players' touch, guitars, etc. They also tend to get pretty generic. It's decently priced, but this is mainly because it's been updated a lot. I've played a few of these and I like the newer models better, they've at least come closer to getting real tones. I would not make the same choice again, I'd go for the update. I believe the newer ones can even be updated online, which makes them far superior.
songboy03/22/2010

songboy's review

Line 6 POD 2
There is just about every effect you can think of for a guitarist on this unit including delay, compression, phase, vibrato, chorus, many kinds of distortion, etc...... This model cannot be edited by a computer, at least not traditionally. I think MidiQuest XL and other programs like that could do it via the midi inputs. No, it is not designed to be racked. This is completely digital. There is only 1/4" mono in and out and Midi in and out.

The effects editing is fairly easy via a couple of knobs and buttons on the front of the unit. The general configuration is fairly simple and everything is written out on the unit for you to find and edit fairly quickly. I wouldn't recommend trying to edit live though unless you have enough light to read it. The manual is clear enough and should be able to answer all of the questions you need to know.

I use this mainly for guitar and occasionally I would run a synth through it. In my opinion, I didn't like the Pod very much as I felt it sucked the tone out of my Parker Fly guitar. All the effects were fairly tinny sounding and once I started using true analog effects, I sold this unit immediately. There were some pretty cool distortions on this thing but for the most part, I didn't like most of the effects.

Besides the poor sound quality, one of the things I really didn't like about this unit is when you tried to do some editing in a live situation, you ran the risk of selecting a distortion that was preset so hot, you would feedback and/or blow out your ears (and the audiences' ears too) if you weren't careful. In the end, the only thing I liked about this unit was using it for headphone practice, or just laying an idea out on my recording unit without needed to set up all my gear and a mic for the amp. I paid $100 used for this which was not too much money but it never really impressed me. I was able to break even on it when I sold it so that was good. I give it a 6 out of 10 for sound quality. Pretty tinny and no one could be fooled into thinking it was analog technology. I bought the Boss ME 50 shortly after and it was much much better. No, I would pass on this unit in a heart beat.
RickD07/31/2008

RickD's review

Line 6 POD 2
This has reverb, chorus, delay, compressor, flange, phaser, rotary, tremolo and some combinations.

It's all digital.

You can edit with the numerous knobs, very easily. Tap tempo is very handy!
I believe there is a PC edition mode but never bothered with it.

Big jacks in & out (stereo out), midi.

Not rackable, but that seems pointless. ;-)

Very simple to use.

Editing is very easy, yes.

Can't remember needing the manual that much but it was clear too.

The effects are usable...depending on how hard you mix them in maybe, but yeah, it's usable.
Now, if you have a TC Electronic sitting by then maybe you won't bother using these, but i have a G-Force and i have used the tremolo on this, and the reverb isn't bad either actually. Sounds more like an amp reverb than dedicated reverb units do.

Used this on electric & acoustic...worked very well.

I don't like most of the distortions in this...actually the Line 6 amps sound best to me...

I've had it about 4 years or so, i think.

I like that it's small...complete...and lets you play at any time of day or night...in pretty much any style...and you can record it & it sounds fine...if you get your settings good. ;-)

You must remember this unit is old, and pretty much the first...so i tried no other, it was totally the best at the time and was a gift actually...very expensive one at the time, i was amazed! ;-p
I think that for the current price it's a bargain!

I'd probably go for a pro rack if i were to buy one now cos i want digital out, but i'd try out the competition....and maybe go for one of those floor thingies that let you install VST plugins on them...now THAT sounds unbeatable!
MGR/Mario09/19/2004

MGR/Mario's review"Line 6 Pod 2.0"

Guitar Center FL. Friend highly recommended. Paid 249.99

Versatility, and true tone qualities. Endless possibilities.

None

Rugged Aluminum body. No small parts to lose.

Affordable and simple way to change your sound on stage and off.

MGR/Derek Mok02/03/2004

MGR/Derek Mok's review"Line 6 Pod 2.0"

Line 6 POD 2
Bought at Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. in Los Angeles for around $220. Manny's across the street sold it for around $40 more, if I remember correctly. Unbelievable.

No musician and producer I've met who owns this piece of gear has disliked it, and I'm no exception. Now, there's a certain quality about miking a real amp that no amount of processing can achieve with plugging a guitar direct, but the Pod will add many more dimensions to that direct sound.

There is a vast array of presets and they do sound good, but I tend to switch them off in favour of the manual mode, which allows "What you see is what you get" operation. In that respect, I was able to get Stratocaster-esque tones out of a Gibson SG, a searing blues-rock wail akin to my favourite standby, the Zoom A1 setting, McGuinn-inflected electric 12-string sounds out of an Ovation 12-string's piezo pickup, a horn section emulation from an Ibanez R-series superstrat...the list goes on. This is definitely the most versatile piece of guitar effect I own, and when you count any effects stompboxes you can connect into the chain, the possibilities are unlimited.

This unit also fulfills the primary reason I'd bought it in the first place -- to record loud, aggressive guitar parts without rousing the neighbours.

I actually tried both the Pod 2.0 and the Pod XT at Manny's in Hollywood and I liked the older version, the 2.0, better. The XT gives you more controls and presets, but is also much bigger, more expensive (around $100 more), and harder to use intuitively.

Sometimes my P-90-equipped SG actually generates *more* noise with this Pod than with my old Marshall amp. I can't figure out why since there's no sound speaker on the Pod. Some of the amp model settings are drastically quieter (I'd say too quiet) compared to the others, even with Channel Volume, Drive and Output up near 10. Though this may not be inaccurate to the qualities of the original amps modeled (and was probably an intentional design decision), I'm not a big fan of the discrepancy. The tuner setting seems erratic -- it's dead accurate with my Epiphone Dot, but my Gibson SG was definitely more out of tune than before after I'd used this tuner on it. I had to tune it by ear to improve it. Bizarre! This is also one massive piece of gear, not even including the transformer you have to use with it.

The chassis is good, though the knobs could be a little sturdier. They seem designed for ease of turning rather than longetivity.

I do like this piece of gear and get great results from it, so its shortcomings are easily overlooked. It's been a defining piece of studio equipment since its inception.