Shadow SH 965 NFX-B
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 03/10/09 à 02:38
(Originally written by la basse orange/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
- How long have you been using it?

I installed this pickup on my double bass six months ago (January 2008).

Very easy installation: just lift the bridge and attach the preamp to the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece.

- Which feature do you like the most / the least?

Pros: linear sound response and easy setup.

Cons: it sounds quite harsh with a bow even if it sounds better than a piezo pickup! The output level is too low (lower than a passive bass) and the controls of the preamp are really cheap...

- Did you try any other models before buying it?

I tested many others... But none of them sounded good. There aren't many options to amplify a double bass!

- How would you rate its value for money?

It was rather expensive... but everything is expensive in the double bass world!

- Based on your experience, would you buy this product again?

Update from 03.10.2009: after one year of use, I still mean what I wrote: its great for live sound but some good condenser mics will give much better results in the studio (which is quite normal!). However, I had the opportunity to try out other systems with integrated mics and I noticed that they sound better. The sound is more authentic and the definition better. But these systems aren't convenient on stage because they produce feedbacks pretty easily. That's the reason I think a pickup is still the best solution for live gigs.