Martin & Co OMJM John Mayer

Pickup Switching: N/A
Bridge/Tailpiece: Ebony with compensated TUSQ saddle
Hardware: Nickel plated
Case: Vintage Geib style hardshell with monogram

OM style guitars in the past couple of decades have really fallen out of popularity, but it is due to people like John Mayer that they have actually seen a bit of a resurgence in a market flooded by dreadnaught and grand auditorium styles. I played one of these in a store one day, not being a huge John Mayer fan, but obviously having heard of him, thought this was a really nice sounding guitar. I have never been much of a fingerpicker, so I assumed a John Mayer signature OM type would be strictly a finger style affair. I was pretty shocked to learn that this guitar felt great in the hand and seemed to feel right for any style. The action felt lovely and the whole guitar just feels quite natural and right for lack of a better word. I can't say anything bad about it really. One of the most refreshing feeling guitars I've played in a long time.

Surely yes, it sounds awesome for finger style and I think most people who get these are into that sort of thing. It's clear. But what impressed me is how versatile the sound is. It does well for strumming given you don't go nuts with the pick. It has a boxey boomy focused sound that is hard not to love. But it's not quiet by any means. The electronics system is new to me but I think it sounds awesome. It really makes me want to finger pick more because of how awesome it sounds in that style of play.

I have played a few of these and they all sound really really good. There's a serious amount of detail that goes into these. It's pretty impressive to behold. As good as it looks, it isn't done justice until you get your hands on it. Sure it's a lot of cash, and Martins these days are probably marked up a lot based on the name, but this particular model is worth the change.