Behringer MICROMIX MX400
Behringer MICROMIX MX400
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 12/04/08 à 06:57
(Originally written by narnodel/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
I only miss stereo inputs...

- Is it easy to make settings?

It couldn't be easier.

- Is it easy to access the main functions?

Yes, you've got four buttons

- Is the user's manual clear and comprehensive?

I threw it into the garbage can without reading it

- Does the desk sound transparent?

Good enough

Does it generate noise?

Not that much for my use.

- Is the EQ effective?...

Ha. Ha.

I connect this accessory to the input of my sampler (a Boss RC-50) so I can connect t the same time an electric guitar, a bass guitar (both with Behringer amp simulations), an electro-acoustic guitar and a dynamic mic (an SM57) to only one sampler input.

In the beginning I was surprised to hear that the Micromix clipped when I set the controls to 8/10, even with low line input signals... I started asking myself why it had such a high sensitivity and then I decided to connect a dynamic mic to it (with a jack to RCA adapter). And it worked! I'd even say it works very good. It has enough output level and a good sound. When I set the control to 9/10 with the mic I can easily balance the level with line level instruments.

It was a nice surprise because I didn't expect this function from such a unit! I had never seen an input that could handle line and mic levels that easily (and that's why I get saturation very fast with line signals).

I don't plan to ever use the Micromix as a preamp or as a mixer to record anything, but if you don't have much space live or you have to use a cheap P.A. system, this accessory might come in very handy and it doesn't alter the sound quality.

But how long will it work???

UPDATE: I was certainly deaf when I wrote my previous review! I tested it during a real live situation with my own PA system and the sound of the dynamic mic I connected to it had no punch at all and what's worse, the unit adds too much noise. It might be helpful sometimes but the sound quality is not good enough for demanding applications. But don't forget that it wasn't conceived for that.