It's a small keyboard, narrow keys, short, with just 3 octaves. It's got dynamic touch but no aftertouch and doesn't feel that great.
- What controlers (pitch, modulation, sustain...)?
I think you can add a pedal to this but not sure cos i lent it to a friend and he's had it for ages so i just can't remember or even check. The bastard won't give it back!
- What connection types are there (Audio, MIDI, pedals...)?
You have 2 big jacks for audio in and the same for out, a minijack for mic in, midi in & out & maybe a thru but i doubt it, and i think there is a pedal jack.
- How many sounds, effects? What styles? Can they be edited?
Quite a variety of sounds, and they can be metamorphosed with just a knob so you can obtain loooaaads of different sounds with this thing, it really is amazing. You'll have a hard time getting anything that sounds real out of it, such as piano or guitar, but i'm not sure that's the point anyway.
You have 5 real time knobs but this does not cover all the edition parameters...you have to fiddle with other settings too if you want to explore the whole depth of the machine. I haven't tried that yet, but maybe i should.
They should have had 10 knobs and made everything directly accessible. Also a proper LCD screen would be good.
- through a Mac/PC utility program?
Nah, don't think so.
- What's the polyphony?...
Ooh, not much: 4 i think. 8 or 16 would have been nice.
- Is the general configuration/setup simple?
Switch it on, press a bank button and you're already having fun. This machine sounds great.
- Is the sound or effects editing easy?
Never tried proper editing, only know fiddling, and that's dead easy of course...
- Is the manual clear and sufficient?...
Not sure i have one.
- Do the sounds suit your style of music?
Most people complain that the sounds on this apply to too few styles. Well, the machine was surely aimed at a certain market. But you can use it on pop and i'm sure you could use it on loads of stuff with a little imagination and maybe an external effects rack.
- Are they realistic?
- What do you think about the effects?
The beast sounds great to me.
- Is the expressiveness acceptable? (touch sensitivity, aftertouch)?
No aftertouch on this as far as i know. Keyboard works but a nicer touch and bigger keys would have been nice. It's ok for silly little riffs, though. And i guess if you have an M-Audio Axiom then you could use that to control the Korg...
- What sounds do you like or hate?
Those you don't like you can fiddle with or ignore so...
- For how long have you been using it?
Had it a few months, but my mate has had it longer than i have now...he can't seem to live without it.
- What thing do you like most/least about it?
The sound is unique, MUCH better than plug-ins...and no latency.
Haven't tried the audio in jacks yet but using this to filter other sources does sound very appealing.
It's small and easily carriable.
But the keyboard is a bit small and the polyphony is a little short too.
- Did you try many other models before getting this one?
Nope. I got it at a bargain price, used: went for it.
- What is your opinion about the value for the price?
The new price on this hasn't budged for ages, proving that demand is still high. I think the price should be lower by now, but the used price is a real bargain.
- Knowing what you know now, would you make the same choice?...
But also check out the other mini / micro keyboards, some of them sound amazing too.