Korg Ms-20
Korg Ms-20

Analog Synth from Korg belonging to the MS series.

oryjen oryjen

«  Good old MS20 »

Published on 07/14/11 at 00:11
Keyboard 3 octaves 1 / 2, pretty average quality, noisy (poor design of the springs placement).
All analog, a knob for a function on the left, taken by one or more jacks by function on the right. Semi-modular.
Among the twenty analog synths I use, none meets my sound ideas with such power. It is a tool for amazing creations!

Simple, simple ... It's modular, you know. Must be somewhat aware anyway. When I bought it new 15 1 / 2 years ago in 1979, it was my first synth and I still felt a bit shit coming back with empty pockets with it at home. It took me a good week to get around it and to make the beginning of something. What you see here, back then, this contraption was the cutting edge of technology. Too bad the French manual was poorly translated from English which was poorly translated from Japanese, so ...
After one time that you're in the bathroom, I'd say it's more than easy: This thing is running with great natural entoryillement the sound of your desires. Magic!

This machine, unfortunately widely used by many penguins who call themselves' producers' suffered over the past fifteen years an unfair reputation without justification: "wo&acirc;&acirc;&acirc; the MSeu20, filters that d&eacute;chiiiirent low '! Waaa, the wild sound! Weee the small brute! "
etc ...
In truth, if you understand anything at patch panel, this synth is extremely versatile, a true chameleon of sound. It can do everything (if you're not too low ceiling).

I use mine since 1979. Excellent reliability. 2 small breakdowns and some cleaning of the keyboard contacts in 32 years. Which says it all?
Today, given the AF rating (absurd), the value is grotesque: Few people are really made for crushing sound that way. It is a rather a unique way of thinking. I do not see the Arp 2600 that really comes close. It means that all around this stinking bizness bike is maintained by rats who try to scrape the dough, and morons who liked to let it tell with between pognes they would be able to call it gr&acirc;&acirc;&acirc;v '
We live in a world, my poor lady ...
It's still a lot of old tired condensators, let's be reasonable.
Personally I will not pay more than 500 &euro; (in good condition).
I will continue to make progress in the maintenance of all these old useless things.