Contest PILOT-512PRO
Just1 Just1

«  Very comprehensive product, but not very ergonomic »

Publié le 05/17/11 à 02:21
For how long have you been using it?
Almost 2 years now, with 4 to 5 times per year.

Did you try many other models before getting this one?
Not in this product category, but I use two consoles for 5 years Order 24 for the control of traditional lighting, and I mixed a number of benefits when pro consoles (Wholehog, Grandma, etc.)..

What thing do you like most/least about it?
(+) The console is versatile in terms of capacity, since it can take control of 40 enslaved / dimmers, max of 32 channels each (on a single DMX universe, thus maximum 511 channels total). Suffice to say that in this price is more than unusual to have so many possibilities!
(+) The programming area is provided, since we have at hand 16 faders that can control most projectors machines on a single "page". Settings from 17 to 32 are available on the second "page" (or "layer"). The memory capacity of the console are also really interesting because 4000 has not assignable on 99 programs.
(+) It is possible to create groups of lights, 5 in total. The button "group" serves as a "multi selector": press it will select all projectors in the group.
(+) The console is in 19-inch rack mount standard.
(-) A lot of controls + = compact ergonomics just worked. The faders are really tight, buttons too. That said, it has never been a problem!
(-) Very poorly designed for the restitution programs and scenes: no "grand master", not "sub-masters", no possibility to play several programs at the same time, no TAP tempo ... it is very disabling for Live. For my use, the black point of this product.
(-) There is no possibility to export the system memory to an external storage device. When the console is reformatted, all is lost! It's very annoying, especially when you have not coded 1000 or 2000 ...

What is your opinion about the value for the price?
It should be noted that the new product sells (is) between 500 and 600 € TTC.
In my opinion, the price / quality ratio is very good from a technical perspective, given the possibilities offered by this console. on the other hand, an ergonomics point of view, the quality / price ratio is mean well for the programming part, much less for the part refund.
Conclusion: good value for money overall, nothing more.

Knowing what you know now, would you make the same choice?
I have long tested and explored the possibilities of software solutions, but few of them were filling the problems I raised the Pilot512 Pro. I finally found what I was looking for, and I invested. The possibilities are at least identical or even larger, the interface is much better, and I have a means of physical control through a MIDI controller. Total purchases: 550 €, the same price as the console. Of course, this implies that already has a computer available to control lighting, otherwise it's twice as expensive!
However, I keep Pilot512 for the simple fact that it is a solution that is based not just on computer (more reliable?). In terms of volume for transportation, I win, and I can easily rent one console rather than the software + dongle + MIDI controller.
In conclusion, I think it's a choice that I would do it, but I made the purchase is far from a mistake in my eyes.

Overall conclusion: product well suited for mobile disco, but not really designed for live concerts.

Images linked to this review

• photo