Warwick BC 80
Warwick BC 80

Bass Guitar Combo Amp from Warwick belonging to the BC series.

jazzzyjazzzy jazzzyjazzzy

«  A good combo with a moderate power »

Published on 01/01/13 at 05:25
Of Warwick in the BC80 is a combo transistor 80W. The main novelty of this amp is a return to the amplification class A. In practice, I'm n sure that's as important as the ad says Warwick. Anyway it works well.
The amp has a 4-band EQ and volume control.
There are two inputs (passive and active), an AUX input which can be dosed volume (and that does not cut the speaker), a loop send / return, line output and headphone output. Everything is on the front, there is nothing behind except the on / off button (no fan).

The manual is brief but adequate. The configuration is fairly standard and predictable. The sound is very nice flat, but I'll just post.

I was looking for a combo light enough (this is the case, it is 20kg) for my jazz rehearsals and possibly small gigs in bars. With a piano, a drummer (jazz) and a sax, no problem, I mean well. I have not yet tested in concert.
So far everything looks perfect, but I add a few caveats:
- The input gain passive is quite low. I play with a Jazz Bass U.S. and Leduc BD3 fretless, in both cases, even putting the amp everything thoroughly, and slappant like a savage, it does not clipped ... So, at first I had big doubts about the advertised power. In fact, there are 80W, but it takes a little push to the input signal (personally, I add my compressor in the effects loop). For rehearsals, I keep the amp "naked", but I have to put the volume to 9/10 or 10/10 with the fretless. Conclusion on the passive input, it really lacks a button gain. I guess the problem does not arise with a low active, but I have not tested.
- Second flat, flat sound is not quite neutral, it is slightly boosted bass. This is to flatter the ear at low volume no doubt, but with other musicians in a jazz-fusion, it is too dull and not accurate. However, the EQ works in my case, I leave BASS MID and LOW at noon, and I put HIGH MID and TREBLE 15h fully or almost. Here I have my sound (in fact one of my basses like when I live in a console).
For fun, I tried to boost the bass with the volume turned up, outcome I shook my windows (it grows strong 80W anyway) but the amp did not flinch.

I have this amp a few days ago and it has only a few repetitions, but overall, this is what I wanted. This is a nice combo to operate at or near the bottom (as advised by Warwick official videos on the way). In some ways, this amp makes me think back stage amplified (preamp suitable for low as well). I like the weight, build quality (interior and exterior), the sound is good too. My only regret is the inability to adjust the input gain.
Sold just over € 200 new, I find the price / quality ratio very interesting.
A view over time (reliability, power in concert) to see if I would do this choice (but in my opinion, yes).