The Audacity Team has announced the release of Audacity v1.3.8 (Beta) for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux/Unix.
- VST Effects now display in GUI mode by default.
- Updated Nyquist implementation.
- Improvements to Equalization, Noise Removal, Truncate Silence, Click Track and effects chains.
- Improved Plot Spectrum analysis and new preferences for Spectrograms.
- Record more than 16 channels (hardware/drivers permitting).
- New "Mixer Board" view with per-track VU meters.
- AMR NB export support via the optional FFmpeg library.
- 32-bit float data over 0 dB handled without clipping.
- Draft Manual/Quick Help included in Windows and Mac installers.
- Faster waveform drawing and better response in multi-track projects.
- Various bug fixes, stability and accessibility improvements.
- Effects and Analysis:
o Faster Equalization and Noise Removal; improved Truncate Silence and Click Track.
o Chains applied to files now clear temporary data after processing each file.
o Updated Nyquist implementation with support for SAL syntax and improved memory management.
o Plot Spectrum now analyzes up to 237.8 seconds of audio, with separate windows for each project and improved display; new preferences for Spectrograms.
o Contrast Analysis tool now modeless for easier use.
o New "Mixer Board" view with per-track VU meters.
o Mute, solo, gain, pan and track height saved in projects.
o More compact Preferences window with easier-to-use Keyboard tab and new toolbars shortcuts.
o New Screenshot Tools and improved screen reader support.
o Improved support for non-mmap ALSA devices such as PulseAudio.
o 32-bit float data over 0 dB now handled without clipping.
o "Stop" option when importing preserves already imported data.
o AMR NB export now supported if the optional FFmpeg library is installed.
o Faster waveform drawing and better response in multi-track projects.
Bug fixes for:
- Export Multiple: failed if empty label encountered; files silenced if overwriting imported WAV files without copying them in.
- Metadata Editor hidden if it was on a now unavailable second monitor.
- Misaligned audio after "Split New" or Noise Removal effect.
- Incorrect label movement and paste with linked audio and label tracks.
- Equalization, Cut Preview and Advanced Mixing Options dialogue.
- (Linux) Mixer Toolbar should now adjust levels and select input sources properly.
- "Audio cache" preference caused crashes - data is now only cached in memory if available RAM is above a level defined in preferences.
- Various other crashes.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Rent-to-own Ozone 9 and Neutron 3 together on Splice Splice has bundled iZotope’s latest software audio processors and offers them at a lower price through their rent-to-own program.
- Over 150 free software tools to make music Making music with your computer when you don't have a penny is possible. And to prove our point here you have 150+ free software tools many of which don't have anything to envy their paid counterparts.