Roland PM-30
Roland PM-30
DubiousDubs DubiousDubs

« Nice addition to a V-drum setup, throw away the headphones »

Publié le 12/07/11 à 10:55
The PM-30 Drum monitor is something I went without for too long. I had a nice set of V-drums back in 2003 and would plug in a headphone set and play like that. Otherwise, I would direct in to my soundboard and blast them through my PA system. I probably did a ton of damage to the cones pushing through the kick drum sounds. I came across one of these 2.1 speakers in a box systems, and couldn’t pass it up. It packs a 200 watt amp, a really nice 12” woofer and a pair of 4” satellite speakers. I really would have never thought having this unit would improve the sound from my headphones, but I made the switch and am never going back.

As for the sound, this unit packs a serious punch. It’s weird at first when you are in person listening ot this little speaker as it blasts away. Surely I was amazed, dumbfounded by how much sound comes out this fairly compact unit. The highs/lows are well balanced, and in the stock configuration with little messing around with the DSP controls this unit sounds perfect paired to my Roland TD-20SX set. I never turn mine up past 6, not because I’m scared of damage, but because there has never been a need. I mount the satellite speakers on the rack and they give a realistic feel to the set when playing that doesn’t feel right without.

For transportation, I’ve found this unit is a breeze to move around because it has two side handles for easy lifting, as well as a handle bar across the top which also serves a dual purpose as a safety net for falling objects hitting and damaging the controls. Drum hardware can do damage especially when falling, that’s why I always try and keep the knobs and electronic stuff away from my set. This was something I was a bit worried about, but have since been relieved to note the above handle bar there to prevent such accidents.