Roland TD-9KW
Roland TD-9KW

Electronic Drum Kit from Roland belonging to the TD series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 11/29/08 à 07:15
(Originally written by twit/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
I haven't given up my acoustic drum kit but I did yield to the convenience of the TD9 three months ago. I've used it for several live gigs in locations where the volume had to stay low or when my back couldn't stand carrying heavy gear.

I used it for a live gig directly after unpacking it, without having read the user's manual... It worked fine right away, even if I had to enhance the drum sets later.

The sound module is very intuitive and easy to use. Even normal drummers like me who don't know how a power socket looks like can easily use it (drum type, head tension, ambiance, muffle, volume, etc.)

The hi-hat is very good and surprised me a lot. Cymbals are the only thing I don't like: I can't find the right sound nor balance them in the overall sound. But I guess that's normal considering the whole mechanical resonance system is missing.

The snare with mesh head provides a very pleasant playing feel and the rubber pads aren't that annoying. I prefer the rebound of the rubber pads rather than the mesh heads that feel like a trampoline.

I hesitated three years and tested all models in the same price range (TD3, TD6, DTXpress, DTxpress IV...), but when Roland launched this model and I tested it all my hesitations stopped.

It's the best product I found considering value for money:

- You'll find cheaper products but don't even dream about using them for live gigs

- You'll find better products but they are much more expensive and aren't worth the money if you want to use them like an acoustic drum set.

I'm still faithful to my acoustic Maple Custom and I only use the TD9 when it's necessary, but I don't regret having bought it because it fulfills all my expectations.

As a summary, think about what you want to do with it:

- If you need a drum set to practice at home Yamaha, Roland, and other brands offer cheaper products that will surely match your expectations

- If you want a product for rehearsals and live events the TD9 is an excellent solution. It is sturdy enough (you can transport it, plug it in and out, etc.) and provides a good sound quality and enough sound editing possibilities.