Expert Sleepers ES-4
Expert Sleepers has announced the ES-4, a Eurorack format module which converts a standard S/PDIF input to five channels of control voltage.A
Two of the five channels are calibrated to provide over 5 octaves of 1V/octave pitch CV. The remaining three channels are general purpose outputs (for use as e.g. gates, envelopes, LFOs) and each have a nominal range of 0-10V or ±5V (user selectable).
Since S/PDIF is a stereo-only format, the encoding of the five channels on to two is handled by software to be provided as part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way.
The ES-4 is designed to connect to any audio device using the S/PDIF standard. This includes the digital audio output provided as standard on all recent Macs.
The ES-4 Gate Expander is a Eurorack module which works in tandem with the ES-4 to offer 8 on/off outputs for use as gates, triggers, clocks etc.
Up to five ES-4 Gate Expanders can be attached to one ES-4 – one per ES-4 channel. (The 8 outputs of the Gate Expander reflect the 8 bits of CV information passed to the ES-4′s DACs.) Therefore you can combine the modules to create a system with up to 40 independent gate outputs – all driven from a single S/PDIF connection.
ES-4 Preliminary Specifications:
- Panel width: 8HP.
- Module depth: 51mm.
- Digital input: coaxial S/PDIF.
- Digital output: coaxial S/PDIF.
- Analogue outputs: 5x 3.5mm jacks, DC-coupled.
- Output voltages
- Channels 1-2: 0-5.3V (when trimmed for 1V/octave response).
- Channels 3-5: 0-10V or ±5V (jumper selectable per channel).
- D/A conversion: 8 bit, using high precision Analog Devices DACs.
- Indicators: LED for S/PDIF sync lock; 2 LEDs per channel on channels 3-5 indicate output voltage (+ve/-ve).
- 5 headers for connecting ES-4 Gate Expander modules (see below).
- Digital audio I/O header (I2S format) for future expansion.
ES-4 Gate Expander Preliminary Specifications:
- Panel width: 4HP.
- Module depth: 24mm.
- Analogue outputs: 8x 3.5mm jacks, DC-coupled.
- Output voltages: 0V/5V or 0V/12V, selectable via jumper in groups independently for channels 1-4 and 5-8.
- Indicators: LED per channel.
The ES-4 modules are scheduled for release August 2011. Pricing TBA.
For more information, visit Expert Sleepers.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Moog Music Slim Phatty Review Five years after having introduced the Little Phatty, Moog decided to launch the compact synth in module version. Did the Slim Phatty succeed in making the famous Moog sound available to anyone?
- Moog Little Phatty OS Update Moog Music announced the release of Phatty OS v.3.1, a firmware upgrade to the Phatty family of analog synthesizers.
- Reactable Mobile Reactable Mobile brings the Reactable synthesizer to your mobile device.