MOTU Announces Traveler-Mk3 Interface
MOTU, Inc.has introduced the Traveler-mk3, a mobile Firewire audio interface for Mac and Windows personal computers.
The Traveler-mk3 provides eight channels of 192kHz analog recording and playback combined with twenty channels of digital I/O in ADAT optical, AES/EBU and S/PDIF formats.
Designed for portable recording situations with either desktop or laptop computers, the Traveler-mk3 draws power from its Firewire connection to the computer. For extended remote sessions, the Traveler can be powered by an industry-standard field battery pack. As an audio recording system with 28 inputs and 30 outputs operating simultaneously, including four XLR/TRS mic inputs equipped with preamps, the Traveler-mk3 inherits many features from MOTU's Traveler interface and adds new features, including V-Limit™ signal overload protection, true hi-Z guitar inputs, a 32-bit floating point DSP for on-board effects and mixing, two banks of configurable optical I/O.
At 3.8 pounds and 14.75 inches wide by 9 inches deep, the Traveler-mk3 is housed in an aluminum alloy case that fits beneath any 15-inch laptop and slides into a backpack or computer bag. Rack ears are included for 19-inch rack mount installation.
The Traveler-mk3 provides a total of 28 inputs and 30 outputs (at 44.1/48kHz), including four XLR/TRS mic inputs, TRS analog, AES/EBU, new RCA S/PDIF jacks and phones, all simultaneously available as separate I/O channels. All analog and digital I/O channels can operate at sample rates up to 96kHz, and all eight channels of analog I/O support 192kHz operation.
- The Traveler-mk3 analog section is equipped with A/D/A converters and mic preamps.
- Four combo jacks provide hi-Z 1/4" guitar input or low-Z XLR mic input.
- The V-Limit hardware limiter is designed to prevent digital clipping and distortion from overloaded signal levels up to +12 dB over zero.
- Users can adjust input gain in 1dB increments on analog inputs (mic/guitar inputs + quarter-inch TRS inputs).
- CueMix FX is a DSP-driven 28 input/16 bus mixer with effects processing, including classic reverb with sends/returns, plus modeled British analog console EQ and vintage compression on every input and output.
- Included CueMix FX software provides two new diagnostic tools: real-time FFT and spectrogram "waferfall" displays for visual analysis of individual audio signals and entire mixes.
- 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96kHz) or two pairs of stereo TOSLink. Mix and match formats between the two banks.
- The front panel has been modified to support the new CueMix FX mixing and effects processing features directly from the LCD menus.
- Provides built-in SMPTE time code synchronization features.
- Users can connect the 8pre interface via one or two optical banks to add eight more mic inputs at sample rates up to 96kHz.
- AudioDesk is a workstation software for Mac OS X with recording, editing, mixing and real-time 32-bit effects processing.
Additional Traveler-mk3 Features
- Powered by computer — no additional power supply necessary.
- Optional battery power — standard field battery pack (sold separately) can be used for extended remote recording sessions and stand-alone operation.
- Individual 48V phantom power on each mic input — mix and match condenser and dynamic microphones.
- Quarter-inch analog I/O — Provides four 24-bit 192kHz analog inputs and eight analog outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks.
- Stand-alone operation — Users can program mixes at the studio and then take the Traveler-mk3 on the road without a computer. Power is supplied by the included DC power adapter or a field battery pack. Users can adjust settings using the back-lit front-panel LCD.
- Sample-accurate MIDI — Users can connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed.
- Word clock input/output — Allows the Traveler-mk3 to be synchronized with any digital audio clock source.
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via Firewire — Two Firewire 400 ports allow for daisy-chaining without a hub. Works with a Firewire 800 connection via a simple adapter or FW400-to-800 cable.
- Includes drivers for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Core Audio, and Core MIDI.
- Front panel volume control for monitoring. Stereo, Quad, 5.1, 7.1 and user-defined surround monitoring setups are available.
The Traveler-mk3 is expected to ship Q1 of 2009 at the same price as the original Traveler.
For more information, visit their web site at www.motu.com.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Big Fish Audio Presents Plush Collection This new collection of R&B jams contains 16 GB of material (7.17 GB of WAV files) including drums, percussion, guitar, bass, rhodes, piano, organ, saxophone and more.
- Mac OS X Version for Leoné MusicReader Leoné MusicReader B.V. announces the release of the Mac OS X version of their product MusicReader.
- Repetito Free Version now available Repetito.com presents Repetito, the Multichannel Sampler Looper