[NAMM] Bitwig Studio
A team that includes former Ableton developers announced the launch of Bitwig Studio production software.
Bitwig Studio bears some of the hallmarks of Ableton's Live.
Some of its feature highlights include:
- Multitrack recording
- Arranger- and Mixer-based clip launching
- Generic tracks - audio and MIDI notes can exist on the same track
- Clip automation
- Per-note automation - apply pitch variations to individual notes in the piano roll, and edit each note's panning, timbre and volume curves
- Simultaneous multitrack editing - edit the contents of multiple tracks together
- Multiple audio events per clip – chop and edit audio files inside a clip
- Real-time timestretching
- "World-class" instruments and effect devices
- Device nesting - devices can contain other devices and be saved as a preset
- 32/64-bit VST support
- Metadata-based browser - add tags and search content by type
- Open multiple documents - Drag/drop and copy/paste between projects
- Multi-monitor support
Features slated to arrive after the version 1.0 release are:
- LAN multi-user jamming – multiple users can jam on the same document and capture everything in its arrangement
- Multi-user production over the internet – work on the same document from different locations, with everything kept in sync
- Native modular system – create your own instruments and effects or modify existing ones
More soon. Check out the Bitwig website for the latest and to sign up to be a beta tester. The software is Mac and PC compatible, as well as Linux.