Create an account

or

Thread Home Recordings "Clean Up"

• 11 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Home Recordings "Clean Up"
Hey!
I've been recording at home for some time now... simply connecting my guitar/bass/mic directly to my SB Audigy 2 ZS card... Also doing some sampling, computer drumming, etc... The thing is, I get a great sound when I am listening to my music on good quality speakers, also I get good sound when listening to it on my car, or even on good headphones.
BUT, I have a friend that listened to my music on his computer speakers (those average little speaker boxes that come with the computer) and he said that the sound of my mp3 song would get all mixed up, saturated, if he increased the volume almost at its max. He said that with other mp3 he could turn the whole volume up at its maximum and there would be no problem, but if he did that with my mp3, the sound would get all saturated and noisy. I haven't had the opportunnity to test my mp3 with little speaker boxes myself, because I only have big good quality speakers and amplifiers... So I don't know what could be the problem. I could say to my friend: "f**k it, the problem are your lame speakers", hehe... But what got me worried was that he said that he had no problem with any other mp3, other than mine.
ALSO, since I am learning everything on my own, there are some things that remain obscure to me. For example, I put all the audio tracks of a mix on "stereo". If I record 2 guitar tracks, both of them would be stereo, if I record 3 vocal tracks, the three would be stereo... I don't record mono tracks. I have been told that it is wrong to do that. May that be the problem of the over-saturation that my music is experiencing on smaller speakers? Should I record mono tracks and divide them putting some to the left, and some to the right?
What tracks would you recommend me to record as MONO? what stereo?
And what's the real advantage on doing so?
By the way, the software that I use to record/mix is Cakewalk Home Studio 2002.

THANX IN ADVANCE

DB

P/S: Man, I really LOVE this website!!!!
View this discussion’s subject
Hey Axeman and all the crew, thanks for this post, although i did not contribute i found it alot of help, you have just helped me mix my tracks better. thanks alot

SH

(TEENAGE NEWBIE!!)

ps i am learning alot from you guys, i only have a small budget and studio but you are really making my options wider!!!!
thanks again
Glad to be of assistance!! Thank YOU for reading past posts and not making me go all through that lengthy answer again!!
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD