or
Create an account

or

Thread MIDI output - audio interface??

• 11 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic MIDI output - audio interface??
HI all.. i'm definitley a newbie to computer music software, but i'm getting quite a collection..

I have an audigy2 zs soundcard that sounds great.. i mostly use ableton live and reason and play guitar with beats that i generate in reason

i recently got an MAUDIO firewire410 audio interface and all my latency issues (which were terrible especially in reason) went away.. works great..

here's the question..i just got sonar to try to put everything together in one place.. when i arm a track in sonar, midi plays out my soundblaster, audio plays out my interface...(my "game speakers" are connected to the soundblaster directly..my "music monitors" are connected to the audio interface).... this doesnt happen in ableton live which mixes audio and midi..it all comes out through my music speakers.

the only way my audio interface connects to the computer is through the firewire port.. do i need to have another type of connection from my sound card to the audio interface??

btw-- i am trying to read the manual to figure this out and i also understand that midi isnt audio until it goes through something like a synth.. :D

anyway..i posted on sonar boards but no help so far :rolleyes: so i thought i would try here

thnx
Ken
View this discussion’s subject
Well, kudos to you and all of the other savants who make the instant connection with the printed or online help. As someone who mentors younger engineers at a very large company, my own feeling on this is: if I'm hearing the same basic question over and over again maybe *there is some basic issue that *ISN'T* being made clear* in the extant documentation. But that's just me. Whatever.

Q
:rolleyes:

It is obvious to me that you have not read nor do you have access to a Sonar manual. It is one of the most clearest written I have read in a long time and being a engineer myself, I have had my fill of bloated manuals that contain pages upon pages of useless material. Indeed, the help files in Sonar are more than enough to get you started and even include tweaks to the various initialization files.

If it is your job to teach younger engineers on something that isn't clear in your manual, then don't you think that a re-write of the manual is mandatory? I am of the opinion of something far worse but I will let it pass.

Good day to you! :twisted: