Sony MDR-520LP
Sony MDR-520LP

HiFi/audiophile headphone from Sony belonging to the MDR series.

l'electron libre l'electron libre

«  Not bad ... »

Publié le 05/10/11 à 20:21
After spending a good half hour before the headphones area, I end by myself to take this model slightly by thinking, design side, a pro model and flagship brand ... I may have been "pushed" by the legend "MDR" as also having a MDR-7506 which I'm pretty happy ... but it is not in the same price range, or in the same area ...

The purpose of this purchase was to acquire a pair of pretty good quality, hi-fi (for any change at all in my various audio systems), relatively small and easily transportable for mobile use.

So question "portability" is exactly what I wanted: a bow end, headphones reclining at 90 &deg; (it can lay flat) and finally, a rather small footprint.

At the sound ... With a relatively wide bandwidth, the sound is pretty good but not exceptional either.
The stereo is good but not exceptional either ... just enough in short ...
The bass are not "surboost&eacute;es" (slightly boosted but nothing embarrassing) ... In any case, they are present and do not affect the overall sound.
Mediums may lack some clarity but are still relatively detailed.
Finally, the high frequencies seem pretty well adjusted ... not screaming and "clean" ... all forms a fairly homogeneous and quite nice ... but still far enough, nonetheless, a MDR 7506 ... at the same time, between 150 and 30 euros, it is expected some differences!

The plastics used seem fairly "cheap" ... to do with time ...
The pads are undoubtedly the "bete noire" of the headphone.
Even if a sensation quite pleasant at first (very soft faux leather), they reveal unpleasant along the length.
In fact, the arch-shaped semicircle tends to "tighten" the whole ... This has resulted in pressure on the ear headphones ... which, after one or two hours, really makes sense!

In conclusion, this headphone meets at the level of sound that I expected from him, not "too accurate" but not too rough either.
It is a proper keg that can serve as backup for mobile use (including the components) ... Obviously, we can not hope to do with mixing or mastering, but for editing sounds, the composition and a rapid mixing, this headset can be helpful.
It can also be used for a hi-fi listening compared with listening pro ... to see made on the various systems.

What I like most: its convenience, its sound pretty good for this type of headphone ("good" does not mean "neutral" or "well balanced" but listening is pleasant throughout) .. . the lightweight and adjustable earphones.

What I like least: the pads that hurt the ears when using the headphones for hours on end ...

With experience, I do not know if I will ever be the choice ... but this is really more than anything else these pads!

There ... enjoy!