Casio MT-45
Publié le 11/03/10 à 15:50
The Casio MT-45 is a mini keyboard that is on the older side. I don’t know exactly when these were made, but it’s definitely got sort of an 80’s vibe to it in both sound and look. The keyboard is all mini sized keys, spanning a total of four octaves. I don’t know off the top of my head what the connections are for it, as I’ve only used the built in speakers for sounding it.

It only takes a few minutes to figure out how to use with Casio MT-45. For starters, you’ve got your basic tone section that gives you eight different preset sounds to choose from, including emulations of pianos, harp, clarinet, accordion, pipe organ, organ, and violin. In then also has effects for vibrato and sustain, and a full on rhythm section. The rhythm section gives you eight different patterns to choose from, as well as independent control over the tempo and accompanying volume. It also has a ‘fill in’ button for adding fills when you want. Lastly, there’s a section called ‘chord’ for setting the arpeggio and automatic bass. I haven’t seen a manual for the MT-45.

While certainly more than cheesy, I actually really like the sounds that the Casio MT-45 has. Of course it’s all in it’s own quirky way, but you can built your own little song all right here. It’s a lot of fun to lay down and beat and use the bass and arpeggio to beef up whatever you’re playing on top of it. I’ve yet to incorporate this in any song I’ve seriously worked on, but we have one of these at the studio I work at so I’ve been messing with it for a bit now and sooner or later will probably try to do something real with it. If you like cheap and cheesy vintage ‘toy’ keyboards, you’ll love the Casio MT-45. I don’t know much at all about their availability or pricing or anything like that, but will say that it’s one of the coolest keyboards of it’s kind that I’ve used. More and more people are using old keyboards like this one, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was somewhat sought after. If you come across one, definitely don’t pass it off as a total cheese ball (even though it kind of is), as I think there’s a lot of cool things that can be done with it…