M-Audio Midisport 2x2
M-Audio Midisport 2x2

MIDI Interface from M-Audio belonging to the Midisport series.

JeffTadashi JeffTadashi

« A basic usb-midi interface »

Publié le 05/09/12 à 21:57
The M-Audio (Formerly Midiman) Midisport 2x2 is a usb-midi interface with two sets of midi inputs and midi outputs. It is one of the smallest box-style midi interfaces available, and is suitable for most basic midi needs, where only one or two midi devices are being used. For my studio, I simply need one midi input from my larger keyboard midi controller, and this small box fits the bill perfectly. It sits on the floor under my desk, and I never need to touch any controls on it.

For the most part, the device does is not plug and play, as it usually requires downloading the correct drivers from M-Audio's driver website. Also, installing the drivers can be confusing, because there are two sets of drivers that need to load when you plug the Midisport 2x2 into the computer. Initially, I thought it was repeating itself (and thus something was wrong) and I aborted the second installation. With Windows 7 and Vista, the drivers may be easier to install than with my Windows XP system.

Functionally, I've had no problems or glitches with this midi interface. There is no lag or latency that needs to be compensated, and the lights on the Midisport easily let me know when it's sending and receiving data. There is a midi thru switch on the device that, if accidentally pressed, will disable some of the midi data transfer to the computer.

Overall, the Midisport 2x2 is a simple device that does it's job, and has lasted me for many, many years. My version is fairly old (still says Midiman), but the newer devices are nearly identical, they just have a different color design. That just shows how durable and lasting the technical design of this simple unit is. Great midi product, which is usually the case with M-Audio, one of the leading midi device companies out there.