DOD Looking Glass Overdrive
Moondog Moondog

« Well done, DOD! »

Publié le 03/23/18 à 14:47
Audience: Anyone
I’ve used it on a 1966 Princeton amp with a single-coiled guitar.
I’ve owned quite a load of ODs and boosts, yet this one is one of the best I’ve come across.
I’ve always loved asymmetrical clipping, and the videos convinced me (especiallt that by Andy from PGS).
First, the design is really beautiful (yeah, considering the price this also matters!), and there aren’t TOO MANY knobs.
A clean, transparent boost, with a bit of dirt, a boot that adds both presence and brightness. From a very light overdrive to a heavy, rock’n’roll sound. Great dynamics. Not a real “sweet spot”, I’d say. It sounds really great no matter what settings are used. What I prefer is its grain, which is certainly the most difficult thing to describe. Nothing Tube-Screamer-ish here, the sound is very transparent yet warm in the same time (a bit more than a Timmy), and compressed just as needed.
The only cons I find is I’d have preferred it to be a little less noisy, especially when the gain switch is on in the upper position. Also, activating this switch also provides a little difference in volume. When two worlds collide and “mass produced” meets “boutique”, it can work quite well (even if the price tag is more on the boutique side).