Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer

Overdrive pedal from Ibanez belonging to the 9 series.

killerkgprime killerkgprime

« The only OD you'll ever need. »

Published on 08/30/11 at 23:48
As one other review said, the TS9 is legendary. It is easily the most recognizable and used OD on the market, and this little green box has pushed the amps of practically everyone that uses an OD to get a dirty sound, or to give their already gained out tone a kick in the nuts! With 3 knobs, level, drive, and tone, it's a simple pedal to use, and delivers a smooth yet aggressive OD that is very musical and midrangey.

The TS9's knobs get a decent amount of tonal variation, but they are all variations on a theme, namely a muscly, thick overdrive that can add quite alot of hair to a clean tone, or give a gained out tone a sear and bite like no other overdrive can. Roll the tone back and get fat Queen/Cream tones. Roll it up and let some Lynch fly, it's all in this one little box!

This thing is solid too, I've never had any issues with the TS9 cosmetically, electronically, etc.

The TS9 does color the sound, but in a positive way. I usually keep mine on all the time if I'm running through my Orange Tiny Terror. This OD pedal will make your tone more aggressive. It will lend a thicker and more cutting tone to single note lines while still retaining an organic sound and feel.

When engaged, the bottom end feels tighter, and the highs cut right through a band mix.

When the TS9 is used as a clean boost, it performs admirably. It makes everything fatter, rounder and tighter, and imparts just enough gain for sustain without actually sounding hairy.

I love my TS9, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an OD or distortion pedal regardless of musical style. This pedal will do it all. It's build to last a lifetime, and the bright green won't get lost on stage! I'd get an adapter for it, as the sound quality degrades the weaker the battery gets. It eats cheap 9 volts though, so don't skimp!