Tascam DR-2d
la.boulanderie la.boulanderie

«  I'm amazed »

Publié le 06/26/10 à 22:14
This is my first portable recorder so I have no points of reference with other brands or models.
What motivated my choice is the following:
- Compactness (barely bigger than a phone even if a little thicker)
- The opportunity to overdub (superimpose a song after playing guitar for example),
- The different resolutions (24bit max / 96 Hz).

I bought it mainly to record ideas for songs when I play the guitar outside my home studio (eg when on holidays).
Once I got it, I tried to record sounds on the street (crowds, cars, etc. ...)
I thought that with the integrated mics the quality will be average, the stereo necessarily very limited. So I tried the same day as just two simple batteries to activate the machine.
I went to Park Monceau. I sat on a bench. I turned on the machine which took me not more than 5 seconds and I captured the overall soundscape. I got up and walked while I let the recording continue and I walked out of the park to the nearest avenue.
That evening back at home, I transfered the files to the computer (15 seconds) and listened to the result. I remained completely blown away. The sound recording is amazingly good. The atmosphere of the park is perfectly captured. We can hear distinctly, people walk, talk, coming from my left to go to my right, children screaming in the distance, birds in the tree above. Then we hear the sound of my footsteps, then the traffic noise closer gradually as I go into the avenue. Finally, the mood of the movement is made perfectly well.
I held the recorder in hand but there is no handling noise.
I then tested it to record guitar. I put the DR2D on a table at 40 cm from the guitar and I played it without other precautions invested.
The result is also very very good. Almost the same quality with my static tube. The recording level is a little weak but I was not at the maximum. The sound lacks a bit proximity but some work can be further improved.
I mixed this improv guitar with the noise of the park and here is a song that has a certain allure and that sounds really good.
The next day, I recorded my son who played the cello in the streets for the music festival. I started 2m distance from the instrument by holding the device in hand with the crowd behind me. Again the result is impeccable with a striking spatialization effect. I can burn this file and produce my son's first live CD.
In short, I did further testing and it is really amazing the quality of sound you get. A single flat but quite logical, the microphone is sensitive to the wind outside, it must be taken into account or add a windscreen (not included).&nbsp;

There are many other editing functions, but that is hard on my eyes to edit on a little gadget, I'd rather do it on the main computer is easier.

In conclusion, I think for a few months I will add in my compositions, full of sound effects as external playback quality of the stereo image is moving.

I'll finally produce a piece that I have been dreaming of for 25 years. It was inspired by urban noise that I could succeed in capturing the correct way through DR2D. I will not tell you what is that extraordinary noise. I do not want to put down the idea !!!!!!