ericthegreat ericthegreat

« Go With Nady for a clean sound »

Published on 10/24/11 at 22:16
The Nady RSM -2 is one of the most recognizable microphones in the world – and for good reason. It is the main stay of many a hire companies microphone hire stock, including mine. Practically unbreakable, and if you do manage to drop it from a high stage / skyscraper, you can also buy a replacement pop shield. Very suited to rock, or other musical styles that need powerful vocals. Make sure your singers lips are touching the pop shield to get the best results, though, unless they have very good mic technique. The proximity effect (increase in bass when you sing or talk close to the mic) makes this important. If the singer is a foot away from an Nady RSM -2 , the chances are they will sound thin, and you will also have gain before feedback issues...

Overall its great, Combined with a 421 or a Royer 121, you can get some really nice guitar sounds happening. My Nady RSM -2 seems to have gotten better with age. Since mine is now almost 10 years old, it's hard to say whether a brand new one will have the same magic...but there is a good chance it will. I don't honestly know how you could NOT have at least one of these laying around. A great mic to have around. I've given other microphones in the same price range, (and even some that are pricier) an honest test drive, but I just keep coming back to my RSM. Some of the competitors have a lot more definition and are more sensitive, etc. - but to a fault. I can get right up on this mic and sing as loud as I can and it doesn't get harsh like my other mics do. So, until I find something I like better (and I doubt I will), I will keep on using my RSM..