Boss SP-505 Groove Sampling Workstation
Boss SP-505 Groove Sampling Workstation

SP-505 Groove Sampling Workstation, Sampler from Boss in the SP series.

Audiofanzine FR 12/06/2008

Boss SP-505 Groove Sampling Workstation : Audiofanzine FR's user review

(Originally written by henridelavillle/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
The card's memory can be extended to 128 MB. I have 64 MB and the things you can sample are already huge... Sampling is very easy, much easier than with a computer: just press the button and that's it... When I'm listening to the radio I just sample whenever something nice comes on (with jazz it's easier because you can sample everything)... I created a beat yesterday and it sounds great.

- The converters sound great, professional and dynamic!

- Typical connections: jack mic input, RCA line input, Midi input and output...

- No PC software and that's a good thing, I'm fed up with computer screens. I'm a musician who risked his life in L.A.. not a computer scientist.

- The effects are a turnoff because you can only assign one effect to each pad... It's not much unless you resample, which is very easy.

- The polyphony is not enough to use it as a classic sequencer

- Very simple and clear setup.

- Ultra easy editing however you cannot pitch a sound directly like in Fruity and I miss that option. It's not possible to pitch a sound with only one control.

- Typical, super simple Boss user's manual. This manufacturer is great.

- The effect sounds very good.

- Sound and dynamic range are EXCELLENT. I prefer a million times this sound to Fruity's sound with my M-audio Firewire sound card. Fruity doesn't provide this dynamic range.

- I've been using it for one month

The least:

OS is very slow

Memory card is too small (now you get 1 GB)

The sequencer doesn't allow external synth sequencing

Best:

Sound quality (better than Fruity or Cubase)

Sampling is extremely easy (one button and that's it)

Each track has an adjustable quantization function (typical Boss), which can be deactivated.

Typical Boss groove...

I might buy the SP555, which seems great because you can sample on the fly in the middle of a song (impossible with the 505).