Moog Filatron App
The Moog Filatron is an app that changes your iPhone (or iPad) into a small recording and effects-processing unit alongside your other gear.
With the Moog Filtatron you can combine several sound sources and apply effects to them in realtime. Sound sources include line or mic input, looping sample playback, and an internal oscillator.
- Filter + LFO
- Amp (drive) + feedback for distortion
- Adjustable, time-syncable delay
- Sampler with adjustable playback speed, loop points, and live recording
- X/Y pads for tweaking and performance, plus preset sharing.
- Audio engine: 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. (Some apps, like RjDj, actually use less, so that’s worth noting.)
- Filter: modeled 4-pole resonant filter, which Moog intended to be matched to their analog filters. Lowpass, highpass, cutoff, resonance, self-oscillation at high resonance – you know, the usual.
- LFO, Envelope Filter: Routed to filter cutoff. LFO: sine, ramp, sawtooth, square, sample&hold. Crossfade/morph between LFO shapes. Bipolar LFO (sweep up or down). Free-tuned LFOs, sync to tap tempo.
- Envelope Follower: Route sound inputs to sweep the filter, with adjustable reaction speed.
- Tap tempo, separation, mix.
- Amp (overdrive) effect with feedback. Also can self-oscillate.
- Delay effect. Delay with its own LFO. Adjustable from a short flange to longer delays.
- Pads. X-Y pads controlled by multi-touch control parameters for live performance/tweaking. Assignments: VCF pad controls filter cutoff and resonance, LFO pad controls LFO Rate and Amount, Delay pad controls delay time and feedback. VCO pad controls oscillator frequency and level (amplitude) – if the VCO “Release” parameter is engaged (ENABLE button on VCO panel, main page), then the VCO x-y pad also controls the VCO volume gate — the VCO is silent when you are not touching the pad and sounds a note on each touch. ENV pad controls envelope follower amount and speed, and AMP pad controls amp drive and feedback.
- Sampler: Play included loops, record your own samples, or bring in your own loops using either the AudioCopy/AudioPaste API or an FTP connection. Sampler includes play controls, playback speed (-2x to +2x), and tap-and-drag controls for loop start and stop on the waveform.
- Record audio into the sampler dry, or record with effects for resampling capability. Recording is limited only by available storage, but playback is limited to 10MB each (ca. 2 minutes).
- Preset recall and storage. Includes a number of presets, allows you to save your own, and provides onboard email sharing of presets.
The Filatron hasn't been officially announced by Moog so there are no details on availability or pricing yet.
Thanks to Peter Kirn (CDM Blog) for breaking this story.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Producer Loops Gangsta Beats 2 'Gangsta Beats 2' features another 10 construction kits featuring urban sounds.
- Precisionsound Sonic Laboratory Precisionsound has released Sonic Laboratory, a toolkit of 500 sound effects, from "brutal hits to evolving soundscapes, atonal clusters to retro electronica."
- Silicon Beats Releases ‘Beats 4 Rhymes V2 - Drum Loops' These RnB drum loops include kick drums, hi-hats, claps, clicks and snares arranged in 33 different groups of loops with a total of 165 loops.