or
Create an account

or

Thread [Bien débuter] Which speakers should you buy?

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Bien débuter] Which speakers should you buy?
Which speakers should you buy?
The time has come to buy a pair of monitor speakers for your home studio, but you don't know which ones you should choose? Do's and don'ts.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Some valid points for such a condensed article.
However, contrary to common belief (and mine until recently), 'active' isn't synonymous with amplified: it refers to the fact that the filters/crossover are before the amplifier. You can have amplified passive speakers and non-amplified active speakers.
The author advises to listen rather than decide on specs, and quite rightly so. Now that i have made the mistake more times than not, i would add to that: listen rather than trust reviews or tests in the specialized press.
Finally, it is worth keeping in mind that the cost of the monitors you are about to buy from a retailer is less than the VAT alone. That's right, they usually cost about 10-20% of the retail price to make. Those 7000€ monitors from that very professional monitor company you've been dreaming of use 20€ tweeters and car subs for woofers. So bear in mind when you are paying 400€ a pair you might be getting components no better than what you put in your car.

RickD
------------
Looking for used PMC speakers, SPL Channel One Premium and SPL Transpressor.

True, "active" is a misuse of language, but the majority say it (many shops/manufacturers for example). So, I think it is simpler to say "active" to a rookie, even if it's not always true.