[NAMM] Buchla Skylab & 267e
Buchla introduces the Buchla Skylab, a new portable analog setup made up of 13 modules.
Buchla describes the Skylab as “a system with the most bang that you can get in a highly portable system. Carry it on the plane with your patch intact. Get to the gig, open your case, plug into the sound system, and voila!, you’re ready to wail.”
The Buchla Skylab
- 1 Model 201e-3 Passive Frame
- 1 Model 201e-10 Powered Cabinet
- 1 Model 207e Mixer / Mike Preamp
- 1 Model 223e Tactile Input Port (4 panel units)
- 1 Model 225e Midi Decoder/Preset Manager
- 1 Model 251e Quad Sequential Voltage Source
- 1 Model 259e Twisted Waveform Generator
- 1 Model 261e Complex Waveform Generator
- 1 Model 267e Uncertainty Source/Dual Filter
- 1 Model 281e Quad Function Generator
- 1 Model 285e Freq Shifter / Balanced Modulator
- 1 Model 292e Quad Dynamics Manager
The 13 module Buchla Skylab is priced at $14,950. Details are available at the Buchla site.
Buchla also showed the new 267e Uncertainty Source / Dual Filter. The Model 267e combines a noise source, a random voltage source, and a simple two channel filter.
Noise comes in three flavors: White noise is described as electrically flat, but acoustically balanced toward the high end of the spectrum (+3 db/octave). Integrated white noise is said to have a low spectral bias (-3 db/octave). Musically flat noise is described as having a flat spectrum (constant energy per octave) .
Fluctuating Random Voltages are continuously variable, with voltage control of bandwidth over the range of .05 to 50 Hz. Applied pulses sample these voltages, providing stored random voltages with wide time correlations possible, according to Buchla. Externally applied control voltages may be randomized.
Two bandpass filters are provided, with voltage control of pitch, bandwidth and modulation index, but without the morphing or summing capability of the 291e. The filter’s inputs are normalized to the flat noise described above, the company says. All settings of the 267e may be stored and recalled under control of the model 225e or 206e preset manager.
The 267e Uncertainty Source / Dual Filter is priced at $950.
Viewers of this article also read...
- [NAMM] Koma Kommander Koma Elektronik has introduced the Kommander Infrared Motion X-Y Controller for Modular Synthesizers.
- [NAMM] OP-1 Update Teenage Engineering announces an OS update of its OP-1 digital synth at NAMM.
- [NAMM] 4 New Moon Modular Modules Moon Modular introduced four new mixer, quantizer and programmer modules at NAMM.