Create an account

or

Thread August 6, 2011 editorial: comments

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 August 6, 2011 editorial: comments

Dear Fellow Audiofanziners!

I'd like to take this opportunity to pay our respects here to the late Amy Winehouse who died tragically at the cursed age of 27 (Jim Morrisson, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain....).  Amy was a rare star in our time, featuring deep contralto vocals and a musical genre combining R&B, Jazz, and Soul.  With her signature beehive hairstyle she always seemed out of time to me.  As if she was transported from the 60's to our time and despite it all she found her audience.  While officially, it is unclear what was the cause of her death, and the quick cremation left a big question mark.  It is not so far fetched to speculate what finally brought her demise. But let us not get bogged down with the ugly details.

I prefer to focus on the positive.  In the age of electronically produced music, Amy Winehouse's music was a breath of fresh air. Influenced by the girl groups of the 50's and 60's, Amy created her own girl group (though she was the only girl in the group ;-) The good news is that she left plenty of yet unreleased material to keep us entertained and inspired.  Her followup to Back to Black is supposed to be released Sept. 20th, 2011. It's going to be interesting.  I can't wait.

This week we published two interesting articles.  The first is an interesting interview with Ned Douglas, a super recording engineer. And the second article is a very handy guide to Surviving Technological Changes (a.k.a. what to do with the Sony Mini Disc player?).

Have a good weekend!

Chater-La