Create an account

or

Thread September 3, 2011 editorial: comments

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 2 followers
1 September 3, 2011 editorial: comments

Dear Fellow Audiofanziners!

This week we have published a new item regarding US Agents Raid Gibson Over Ebony.  For those of you who don't know, Ebony is now an endangered tree species following over harvesting as it is a very widely used wood for making musical instruments, furniture, decoration, etc.  And since large ebony forests are slowly becoming a rarer and rarer find, it has increased its value and has only encouraged forestry of the ebony tree.

So I will not get into the specifics of the Gibson case, as you can read and decide for yourself.  But I think it is important to shed light on a greater issue when choosing a musical instrument.  We http://www.safarigifts.com/shopcart/images/info/Ebony1.jpgneed to be more sensitive as to where the materials are sourced from.  And taking it even further, perhaps in the future guitars made of wood will be a thing of the past

or a very expensive endeavor?  Today it is ebony, tomorrow it is rosewood...  This is another reason why I wholeheartedly support the second hand market for musical instruments.  It prevents the harvesting of new wood.  And most of the time, you get an instrument with a 'history' and a 'story', not to mention that quite often you end up meeting unusually nice people.

Chater-La

If you've ever played a resin cast Parker you'll know that resonance and sustain are not dependent on wood grain. The resin cast Parkers are some of the best guitars out there. I know,I know,I also reach for the Mahogany when I want a dark tone. But with a little finesse and tweaking I could get a satisfactory tone from any guitar. Why do we always feel like we need to sound like the old timers anyway? The past is in the past,embrace the future my colleagues!
All those images over the years of wild and raucus rockers smashing their instruments in a fit of rebellion and independence. It's a new century, and they were just being wasteful and and antiecological. The spirit of rock'n'roll is just Luddite self indulgence. What a drag.