Create an account

or

Thread March 31, 2012 editorial: comments

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 March 31, 2012 editorial: comments

Dear Fellow Audiofanziners!

I spent the better part of last week attending Musikmesse 2012 in Frankfurt, Germany.   It was my first Musikmesse, following my first NAMM which I attended just two months ago.  When comparing the two, I will be frank, and hopefully not step on any toes, but I preferred NAMM.  Musikmesse 2012 was professionally run, well organized, and there were no shortage of exhibitors to keep me busy, even if the show rooms themselves were a bit spread out, unlike NAMM where is it all in the same huge building.  Musikmesse was a trade show, for trade, for doing business, except for the last day of course where it became a bit of a family event. 

So why do I prefer NAMM?  There was something in the air there at Anaheim.  Musicians playing outside, bands hustling, activists displaying their displeasure, big stars and autograph sessions, the long lines of people waiting to enter each day, the huge badges with your name on it made you feel like you are a VIP at a backstage event.  I know, a bit superficial, but NAMM felt like epicenter of the music world for 4 days.  Maybe it is also the difference in mentality and culture between America and Europe- less glitzy and more to the point. 

But on the other hand, Musikmesse’s proximity to France and Audiofanzine’s headquarters meant that we could bring about 40 members to the show.  And this was priceless.  We spent a very cool evening at a typical German restaurant with a waitress who probably hated her life at that moment, having to serve 50 musicians.  I must commend her.  I could never handle more than an 8 top during my waitressing days.  We drank our beers, and ate our snitzels, passed around the guitar and sang songs, it was a bit of a musikal messe, just how we like it.

Chater-La