Create an account

or

Thread September 29, 2012 editorial: comments

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 September 29, 2012 editorial: comments

Dear Fellow Audiofanziners!

Neilsen ratings has recently published its Music 360 report which gives insight into music interaction if you will.  Some of the key findings that you might find interesting included:

• That radio is still the main channel for music discover y (48%).  This surprised me at first, but then I thought about the endless ocean of music available and mostly unorganized on the net, and thought, yes, radio is still an easy way to discover due to its ‘push’ model of delivering music.
  • More teens (64%) listen to music via YouTube than through any other source.  This comes as no surprise.  Didn’t we just say a few a weeks ago that YouTube is the new MTV?
  • Regarding purchases, 54% are more likely to be influenced by a positive recommendation from a friend.  Hmm… it seems very likely to me that the person you call a friend would appreciate the same things you do, otherwise, what will your friendship have in common?
  • Regarding digital vs. physical CD, the latter is slightly lagging behind in perceived value, but not by much (63% vs. 55%).
  • And still, you thought all youths are downloading illegally?  Think again.  36% of teens bought a CD in the last year, while 51% of teens have purchased some kind of music download.

Food for thought on an autumn weekend….

Chater-La