Create an account

or

Thread October 25, 2014 editorial: comments

• 7 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 October 25, 2014 editorial: comments

The Upgrade Dilemma

I just updated to the latest version of iTunes — 12.0.1.26 to be precise — on my Mac (version 12 is also available for Windows), and by golly, Apple has made it easier to navigate! That’s the first time I can say that in a long time. Prior to this version, iTunes had devolved into an almost unusable state after many years of updates, the antithesis of intuitive. So thank you Apple. Making it easier to use was unexpected, and much appreciated. I’m more used to Apple doing the opposite – “if it ain’t broke, fix it,” seems like their guiding principle sometimes. 

For example, why did Apple get rid of the “save as” command in its software? Having the choice to “save” or “save as” is a long accepted, tried-and-true standard that works really well and that everyone is totally comfortable with. Apple replaced it with Save, Duplicate, Rename, Move To, Revert To…this is an improvement? 

Perhaps the most egregious example for me was the transition from Final Cut Pro 7 to Final Cut Pro X. After spending a number of years mastering Final Cut Pro 7 and its predecessors, I had to practically unlearn everything I knew about video editing when I switched to Final Cut Pro X. Was that radical a change really necessary?

I don’t want to pick only on Apple, as this happens in other parts of the computer and software industries. Technology changes, formats change, and while the manufacturers and developers, especially larger companies with stockholders to answer to, are always racing to put out the latest and greatest, and sometimes these changes leave the consumer in the dust.

Manufacturers and developers often try to get their customers to upgrade to the newest versions, and frequently release updates that aren’t compatible with the previous generation of operating systems in an apparent attempt to push their users to update.

Companies can anticipate the problems users will have an offer solutions, such as what Avid did when releasing Pro Tools 11. They knew that their users depended on third-party plug-ins, and that it was going to take those developers a while to release 64-bit AAX versions, so they kept the file format the same between 10 and 11, giving users the flexibility to run both versions and interchange the session files. 

I bring this up in the wake of Apple’s release of its new operating system, Yosemite. Many users are probably wondering when is the best time to upgrade? Usually, it takes the other software developers a little time to catch up, so it’s definitely prudent to wait to take the plunge until you're sure that all or most of your music software will run on the new system. On the Mac side, at least, it’s next to impossible to revert to an older operating system, so you want to be sure of what you're doing when you hit that Update button. One way to safeguard yourself to a certain degree is by keeping a bootable hard drive with the old system, which you can start up from if the update turns into a disaster. 

So when it comes to updating software, what’s your strategy? Do you wait until the bitter end? Are you an early adopter? Have you had negative (or positive) experiences from updating that you’d like to share? Let’s discuss it.

Hi Mike

Just read your very interesting article.
It reverberates with me because today, maybe 2 days after upgrading to Apple's new O.S. Yosemite, I've been wishing that I hadn't!
First off I noticed the updated versions of the Icons on the Dock. They're kind of sanitised & a little plainer than the ones on Mavericks.
I could live with those I guess.
The Side Bar with the Favourites & Reading lists has also changed - for the worst from my point of view.
On Mavericks each item had it's own icon (say like the Lloyds Bank logo) plus a coloured part which helped me greatly to quickly identify & select.
It saved time.
Now what we have on Yosemite is just grey type - no icon, no colour. Takes me longer to identify & select what I want.
I have a few folders on Desktop. Just quick links to specific items. One had two x 'Pages' documents containing Bank details.
I opened it yesterday morning to find it was a straight copy of 'All My Folders' in Finder! The other folders were the same.
I even did a little test to make sure I wasn't going crazy - I created a New Folder & opened it up (without putting anything in it) & it was full up with 'All My Folders'. (To be fair, that has righted itself today & my Desktop folders are back to normal).
The most annoying thing though is today I find that my Daw - I am using the excellent REAPER - had disappeared & I had to reinstall all over again.
All of October's music files seem to be missing as well.
So, when you say
Quote:
On the Mac side, at least, it’s next to impossible to revert to an older operating system
I feel quite despondent.
Is there really no chance I can contact Apple & revert to the Mavericks O.S?icon_facepalm.gif
Hi Jackmon--Sorry to hear about your issues. It's worth contacting Apple, especially considering that you lost files during the upgrade. Perhaps they have a way to get you back to Mavericks. Do you not have backups of your music files? If not, you should really implement some sort of backup strategy ASAP. Get an external drive for backup, backup to the cloud--something. You never know when something can happen to your files, and you don't want to lose any more music files...as you know, they're irreplaceable. Best of luck!!
Hi Mike
I think I will contact Apple. There must be other people experiencing difficulties with the new Yosemite O.S.
Yes, I have Time Machine as backup but haven't got to grips with it yet - that's my next project, when I have the time!

Thanks for the message.
Glad to hear you have a backup. After reading your initial post, I did some searching online and there are some Mac news sites offering suggestions of ways to revert, so apparently, you're not the only person having issues. Try searching "From Yosemite to Mavericks" to find out more info.
Apple, like any company that gets too big for the end-user's own good, encourages a hodgepodge of useless updates and tries to force the end-user's hand by impeding the ability to go back to older versions. I used to love iTunes, iMovie, quicktime, etc, yet with every single additional update, I find myself incurring more than just the switching costs that come with learning new software (should the update be drastic). Rather, I often find myself incapable of justifying the update compared to the older version, and disappointed when I see that I'm, in fact, locked into the update.

That's why I haven't updated my OS in the last 2 updates, that's why I try to avoid updating iTunes as much as possible (previous updates have deleted key audio files on my phone, computer, etc), try to never update iMovie ever again (the free version that came with macs 5-10 years ago was plenty, now I have to pay for a newer version that has horrible ratings and user feedback...:furieux::furieux::furieux:)

Apple was the company I lived and died by. I convinced all of my family to buy macbooks and macbook pros. Yet, ever since Steve Jobs' death, I can honestly say the innovation is going down and the nickling & diming is going up. The focus on design and improved user-friendliness has been forgotten and replaced by a new focus on using more expensive touchscreens and buggier batteries in order to insure that customers come back to replace their expensive products every year or 2....

I don't even have an aim with this response. I'm just extremely disappointed in Apple now
iTunes Nightmare:
In my experience iTunes is an incompetent system as regards trying to purchase or download music when compared to 7Digital. Recently when I tried to download the free U2’s album, they said my credit card was out of date; it wasn’t, and secondly, why would I need one if it’s suppose to be free???

In another case they wouldn’t allow me to purchase a track in my local iTunes store because their system stated I lived in America, when in fact I live in Europe. There are so many problems with iTunes that it’s no wonder most of the younger generation do not want to pay for music anymore…

Having consulted with a number of people to test run a new product we were selling on iTunes, all of them using Android had difficulty in purchasing and downloading the track, whereas 7Digital was a breeze.

Re Yosemite:
After the issues I keep hearing, I am glad I did not change over to the Mac’s Yosemite, deciding instead to stick with Microsoft; at least with HyperOs I can have up to ten versions of Windows to test new stuff on the same hard drive, without the convoluted backup system that the Mac uses.

For example with HyperOs, I can allocate one Windows to test out new software, a second one to try out new hardware, another just for surfing in case the OS becomes infected, and last but not least, an older version of Windows to use my fav software that wont work on Win Pro 7, and all without sacrificing my main operating system that runs my DAW…

And in the event of the latter failing, I still have a virgin backup copy preloaded with my DAW to drag over the faulty one and within 15minutes I am up and running again. By the Jove, I am even expecting the next HyperOs update to make coffee :)

Finally, based on my experience with Apple I can sympathize with DIYaudio who articulates a strong case against updates. Certainly in my case I will not be buying any more content from iTunes anytime soon.
Quote:
Apple was the company I lived and died by. I convinced all of my family to buy macbooks and macbook pros. Yet, ever since Steve Jobs' death, I can honestly say the innovation is going down and the nickling & diming is going up.

I sympathize. As a long-time Apple user, I liked the company a lot more when it was not the 800-pound gorilla that it is now, but was the underdog that had to innovate. After Jobs came back to Apple for his second go-round, the company really seemed to care about putting out great software and hardware for creative professionals in video and music. I don't know whether the changeover to its current "behemoth" state is due to Jobs' death or just that the huge success of iOS devices totally changed the company's direction, but it has definitely become much more of a typical big company, and less of a innovative force. It's too bad. I still love my Apple products, but the passion is greatly diminished.