or
Create an account

or

Thread How come your NAMM coverage didn't include the Guitar Summit?"

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 How come your NAMM coverage didn't include the Guitar Summit?"
I'm hearing it was a fabulous concert, with some of the world's best guitarists. It had to be more interesting than yet another USB audio converter or another Strat copy. The concert was part of a tribute to Howard Roberts, a name few people know, but a guitar player everyone has heard. He was the most listened to guitar player in the world. If you doubt this, check out his history at:

www.howardrobertsproject.com

He was an amazing player both with his own band (jazz) and in the thousands of studio calls he handled, playing every style of music. He was an advanced educator, designing a curriculum for the guitar that got superior results more quickly than anyone else. He founded the Musician's Institute in Los Angeles. He designed the Howard Roberts guitar for Epiphone and Gibson, and the Howard Roberts Fusion guitar for Gibson. He helped design and build the Benson Guitar amp, a Boutique amp way ahead of it's time in the 1960's. He recorded a bunch of albums as leader, and every once in awhile he took the stage at Donte's in North Hollywood with the "Magic Band" (Dave Grusin, Tom Scott, Johnny Guerin and Chuck Berghofer {or Steve Bohannon}) and blew the audience away. Check out the two CD's from this era "The Magic Band Live at Donte's I and II."

Please guys, if you have any video from "The Guitar Summit" at NAMM, put it up on your site. Thank you.

Bluzgtr

Sorry to disappoint you, but the way our NAMM coverage was structured, there was no time to cover evening events. We were shooting video during the day at the show and editing and uploading at night. I heard about the Guitar Summit, and wished I could have been there. Thanks for posting all the info about Howard Roberts, I'm sure many readers will want to check out his music.
Quote from bluzgtr:
I'm hearing it was a fabulous concert, with some of the world's best guitarists. It had to be more interesting than yet another USB audio converter or another Strat copy.

Great feedback, bluzgtr. Mike's right, the way the coverage is structured makes it tough to cover everything that us and our members wanna see. However, the best way to make sure we offer the best coverage possible, we really value our members' feedback. So next January, or for example this April for Musikmesse, I can try and create a sort of 'what do you wanna see most?' thread a few weeks in advance, and we can try our best to incorporate what you all want based on your feedback.

In the meantime, as both a guitarist and someone learning more about mixing every day, I thought I'd return the favor and give a video that I find very interesting. It's about Nile Rodgers, who I didn't used to care much for. In it, you'll discover a lot about his life, his playing style, his immense musical knowledge, what changed and helped him along the way, how he's become such a successful producer, and just a lot of cool stuff. You seem like a guitar purist, but maybe you'll enjoy this too. Cheers!